UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those on the waiting list, I called recently for an update. I was given the % speil and was told that interviewing would come to a halt in April. At this point they will begin pulling from the list. Interestingly, she said if you were in the top third you had a good shot.

Good luck to all the in-staters who want to stay close to home.

On the same vein, if you took the MCAT in January you should call to confirm they received the score, I did so and they now are re-evaluating the file, so it pays to give them a call and see what is up.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed in September, waitlisted. New MCAT in Jan put me over the top. SO EXCITED!

So you're the person I heard about today... you're the first to come off the waitlist this year. Congrats. :)

YES!!! That is what April said. Lucky number one, but it was more re-evaluating my app due to my Jan MCAT than the actual wait-list moving.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those on the waiting list, I called recently for an update. I was given the % speil and was told that interviewing would come to a halt in April. At this point they will begin pulling from the list. Interestingly, she said if you were in the top third you had a good shot.

Good luck to all the in-staters who want to stay close to home.
Everyone keeps talking about getting there percentile on the alternate list.

I called up last week (3/7) and they told me that they couldn't give me a position or a percentile.

Who do you have to talk to and is there something specific you have to ask?

Hey everyone, I received my interview on 3/10 for Thursday morning. Anyone else interviewing that day? Do you guys have any feedback on what I should expect? Also, do you know whether I am going to be interviewing for spots or for the waitlist since its so late in the cycle?

Just had my interview yesterday! I fell in love with the school halfway through the tour. Based on the facilities, the school looks like it actually cares about the students. The admissions staff and everyone I met were extremely nice. The interview itself was very relaxing. The only questions I can remember off the top of my head are "Why DO?" and "Why I wanted to go into internal medicine?" The rest of the interview was just clarification of my application (The interviewer had it in front of him, so make sure you go over your application thoroughly.) and just conversational in nature. I happened to be from the same city that the interviewer's mom used to work in, so that was something to talk about. All in all I had an amazing time and am definitely going there if I get accepted. The DO/PhD program seems much more easier to get into than MD/PhD programs because of the fact that there are many more requirements in order for you to be selected. Of course there's no stipend for your DO years but that's okay.

In terms of spots, I'm not going to state the actual number of spots availible but April told me that there are only a few spots availible (very very few). And there's about twice as many people who've been accepted but haven't responded to the acceptance/sent in their deposit money. So anyone who just sent in their secondary yesterday is very likely to be placed on the waitlist based on just the numbers alone. But I think they will be going down the list starting in April. I couldn't help sending in everything so late because I wanted to shadow a DO which I could only do in January because of time constraints. I won't be so famished if I don't get accepted this cycle because I was the youngest interviewee there out of a total of 5 interviewees. Everyone else was at least 1 or 2 years older than me (I'm 21) so they increased their credentials during their time off. Heck one interviewee was a 31 year old mom! So if you don't get accepted this cycle it's not the end of the world. My interviewer was kind enough to tell me what to improve on my application in such a case. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Good luck, ravupadh!

"Of course there's no stipend for your DO years but that's okay."

I asked someone who has his PhD from here and is in the DO program now about that recently and he told me 3rd and 4th year are covered, just not the first two (because you're not in the DO/PhD program when you start school, unlike MD/PhD programs).

Oh wow thanks! That's nice to know.. Makes me want to go to the school even more :).

Does anyone know how many interview spots are left or how much of the class is filled? I have been complete since January and I would love to go to this school. I'm still waiting for an interview.

Does anyone know how many interview spots are left or how much of the class is filled? I have been complete since January and I would love to go to this school. I'm still waiting for an interview.

Hmm if you were complete since January they should have contacted you already. I was finished the third week of February and I just had my interview. In any case look at my previous post. There are very very few spots left. If you do get an interview you'll very likely be waitlisted. I wish I was able to apply earlier.

Hmm if you were complete since January they should have contacted you already. I was finished the third week of February and I just had my interview. In any case look at my previous post. There are very very few spots left. If you do get an interview you'll very likely be waitlisted. I wish I was able to apply earlier.

Congrats on your interview. Are you applying from in-state or out-of-state? I'm a Georgia resident with an MCAT and GPA right at their averages, so I am hoping for an interview at least. But I don't know how many out-of-state students they interview or accept.

Congrats on your interview. Are you applying from in-state or out-of-state? I'm a Georgia resident with an MCAT and GPA right at their averages, so I am hoping for an interview at least. But I don't know how many out-of-state students they interview or accept.

Hi all, after my interview today I cannot express how much I absolutely LOVED the school. Everyone seemed so nice, laid back, and very VERY supportive. I was actually told today that there are only a few spots left, I am not quite sure of the actual number. However, they are still doing interviews until the end of April. One of the students who guided the tour for us today mentioned that a friend of his, was granted an interview for two weeks ago and received an acceptance rather than a waitlist spot. In the event that you do get waitlisted, however, keep in mind that the first person to come off the waitlist was last week and it is now starting to move. April in the admissions office said to not worry even if you are waitlisted because they do move people off the waitlist up until August. Good luck to everyone!!

Hi all, after my interview today I cannot express how much I absolutely LOVED the school. Everyone seemed so nice, laid back, and very VERY supportive. I was actually told today that there are only a few spots left, I am not quite sure of the actual number. However, they are still doing interviews until the end of April. One of the students who guided the tour for us today mentioned that a friend of his, was granted an interview for two weeks ago and received an acceptance rather than a waitlist spot. In the event that you do get waitlisted, however, keep in mind that the first person to come off the waitlist was last week and it is now starting to move. April in the admissions office said to not worry even if you are waitlisted because they do move people off the waitlist up until August. Good luck to everyone!!

I moved off the wait-list because "my points" were re-evaluated so it wasn't the normal movement of the list, but it must start moving soon.

I moved off the wait-list because "my points" were re-evaluated so it wasn't the normal movement of the list, but it must start moving soon.

They also mentioned that the waitlist was ranked, so for those of you who are waitlisted, make sure to keep sending them any updates or changes that can help you move up the list. The rank apparently depends on interview score, MCAT, GPA, and just your application as a whole.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks! I'm actually in-state. The school does prefer in-state students. But in any case once your interviewed, you are guaranteed a waitlist spot unless you do horrible on the interview. Good luck!

They also mentioned that the waitlist was ranked, so for those of you who are waitlisted, make sure to keep sending them any updates or changes that can help you move up the list. The rank apparently depends on interview score, MCAT, GPA, and just your application as a whole.

Yes I updated my MCAT from Jan, it improved 6 points so I was accepted.

Anyone know when the next acceptance calls are going out?

Anyone know when the next acceptance calls are going out?

The committee was supposed to meet today but had to reschedule due to an event. They will be meeting for sure next week and we should expect to hear something by Friday.

I see.. so next Friday? Ahh the wait is kiling me :(

Phone calls will go out tomorrow... I'm nervous and excited at the same time!

Has anyone that interviewed in the past three weeks recieved a call toady? Even if it's not an acceptance, I just want to know if they started making the calls and please include time of call.

I don't think make calls if you're waitlisted/rejected.. But in any case no call so far :/... I think they usually make calls between 3 and 6.

I got the call from Claudio about a half hour ago.

I'm in!!! So stoked!!!

Good luck to everyone still awaiting a call...

No call yet.. so I guess I'm waitlisted or rejected?

Do they make calls all at once or at separate intervals?

I am wondering the same thing. I hate wondering if I am rejected/waitlisted. Did anyone try calling in for their results.

Did anyone else get a call? What's going on? Are they still making calls or is it over for today?

I guess not... Man this is a bummer.

Well I know there were only 6 spots left as of last Friday, so I am sure they are being very picky, so don't lose hope if there is no call and you are waitlisted. I was waitlisted and I pestered Paula to find out what I could do to improve and I did it and got re-evaluated and got in, so don't lose hope if UMDNJ SOM is your place. Plus the waitlist moves fast once it moves, which will be soon.

Yea and she told me that 12 people have been accepted but didn't confirm or send in their deposit. So there is hope I guess.. The thing that stinks though is that for us applicants this late in the cycle there really isn't anything we can do to improve our application since it's so late. So all we can do is hope lol

Well April told me 5.. they told us.

Wait, so if I haven't been informed of even an interview or rejection yet, is that bad news because I called and asked the office today, the lady said that my application is "under review"

Also, what is the waitlist movement like in the past for these 150 seats, are like 144 deposits in to hold a seat for students who are going to attend for sure or is it that 144 students have just been offered acceptances so they'll be accepting a lot more than just 6 more seats? Elaborate on the deets, I'm stressing

Well I know for a fact that there are at least 12 seats still in "limbo" because the person hasn't put in the deposit or accepted the offer yet.

I also received a call from Claudio today at around 3 pm to inform me of my acceptance!!! My interview was on March 17.

Congrats Regina and thanks elftown! I was down yesterday but I feel better today. It usually only takes me a day to get over these things lol. I find it wierd though that no one's posted so far that they've gotten a call from April or Paula.

hey guys, just interested in knowing more about the D.O. and M.B.A dual degree program they offer at UMDNJ. Also, is there a cutoff mcat score to receive a supp app or interview? Any input would b appreciated!

The interviewer told me 21 was the cutoff to have an interview.

I just called and apparently I was waitlisted. Meh at least I wasn't rejected lol. Does anyone know how many people are waitlisted vs. how many are actually accepted?

And is there really anything I can do to improve my spot on the waitlist this late in the cycle? I have to call on Friday to find out my spot on the list.

Well I know for a fact that there are at least 12 seats still in "limbo" because the person hasn't put in the deposit or accepted the offer yet.

I got a call last week for an interview. I guess I am one of those hoping to fill the 12 spots? How long did it take for you guys to hear back? I'm accepted to SGU and their deposit is due April 15th and my UMDNJ interview is April 1st, so I'm trying not to cut it too close if I end up putting down the $1,000 deposit at SGU.

I got a call last week for an interview. I guess I am one of those hoping to fill the 12 spots? How long did it take for you guys to hear back? I'm accepted to SGU and their deposit is due April 15th and my UMDNJ interview is April 1st, so I'm trying not to cut it too close if I end up putting down the $1,000 deposit at SGU.

Well those 12 spots to my knowledge are still taken.. it's just that those people haven't put in their deposit yet or confirmed.. most of them may have by now since this was two weeks ago. So you'll probably be interviewing for a waitlist spot if all the seats have been filled. In any case good luck!

I just called and apparently I was waitlisted. Meh at least I wasn't rejected lol. Does anyone know how many people are waitlisted vs. how many are actually accepted?

And is there really anything I can do to improve my spot on the waitlist this late in the cycle? I have to call on Friday to find out my spot on the list.

It is quite a few people, I don't know the exact number, but what you should ask or look out for is if they say you are in the top tier of the waitlist and that people from that area were accepted last year with movement in the waitlist. In that case you'd be in decent shape. If they don't give you much hope, then don't keep much hope. And as far as what you can do, there isn't too much at this point, unless your somehow could prove your GPA went up a ton or something, or if you could get a letter from a very important person.

Your gonna be screwed anyway. The adcom meets the third Friday of the month. So they will meet the day your deposit is due. They usually don't call until the late afternoon. How will you get $1000 to SGU before the business day ends?

It sucks, but you're going to have to eat the 1k. Just think of it as paying to make sure you go to school somewhere next year. If you were set on SGU before your plans to interview at UMD, then drop that deposit. As stated before, the adcom meets the 3rd Friday of the month, and the last thing you want to do is screw up your chances of holding a seat anywhere.

Good luck, a lot of us have been in this situation.

It is quite a few people, I don't know the exact number, but what you should ask or look out for is if they say you are in the top tier of the waitlist and that people from that area were accepted last year with movement in the waitlist. In that case you'd be in decent shape. If they don't give you much hope, then don't keep much hope. And as far as what you can do, there isn't too much at this point, unless your somehow could prove your GPA went up a ton or something, or if you could get a letter from a very important person.

Oh that sounds encouraging. :rolleyes: I'm gonna have to call on Friday to see where I am on the list. My one friend who interviewed before me in February and got a 34 on the MCAT and has a 3.4 GPA was waitlisted whilst my other friend who had a 28 and a 3.9 GPA was accepted in November. It seems like they are picking names out of a hat for acceptances. :laugh: Well I'm hoping my 26 MCAT and 3.5 GPA will put me somewhere good on the waiting list. In the mean time I'll unfortunately have to start studying for the MCAT again.. ughh.. I really wouldn't mind taking a year off, since I could use some after graduating from college. It's just the dreadful studying for the MCAT that annoys me.