• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

UMDNJ Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The interview went well yesterday and I was impressed with the students and the facilities. But I still have other interviews to make up my mind.

Students:
They seemed young and very nice. I felt I was almost back in college again. I got to sit in one of the classes and the students seemed bright and knowledgeable in what they were learning. Overall, I think I would fit in there well. There is no GPA or class rank. As a result, students shared their notes and work freely. They do have pass, high pass and honors when grading. Some top allopathic residencies use class rank among others to gauge your academic performance. I think that might be the one drawback I had with their style of learning.

Facilities:
The school was clean and the facilities were modern. The anatomy lab was big and 5 students per cadaver. We actually got to see a dissected cadaver. It was pretty neat.The physical exam rooms were well equipped and looked like a regular doctor's room except with surveillance cameras! :laugh:. The OMM room looked great. I didn't see any robotic patient though.

Interview:
The interview was laid-back and was conducted by two DO doctors. They basically went over my application and personal statement. Know what you wrote and be able to explain them clearly. All in all, it went by pretty fast.

Members don't see this ad.

Eag, will becoming a NJ resident cause any issues with later getting medical residencies in NY?

For those still concerned about out-of-state vs in-state, I am a 4th year originally from NY. Becoming a Jersey resident for tuition purposes is easy. All I did was get a Jersey license, rent an apartment in Jersey, and register to vote in Jersey and that was it. Since my car isn't under my name, it remained registered in NY and I didn't have to get Jersey insurance. However, if you have a car under your name, you would have to change it to Jersey. It's really as simple as that. Many students who apply are out of state, but when they graduate, they will be considered NJ residents. You don't have to become a NJ resident if you don't want. However, you will have to pay tuition as an out of state student. In my opinion, it is foolish to do that. Please do not let this be your worry. If you decide to matriculate to UMDNJ, you will be a Jersey resident paying Jersey tuition unless you opt out of that. So focus your attention on getting into the school. I'd be happy to answer any questions - just send me a private message since I'm not on here regularly. Good luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody else who interviewed want to tell us about it?:thumbup:

How long did it take to receive secondary request after verification through AACOMAS? I have received all other DO requests now and not this one.

How long did it take to receive secondary request after verification through AACOMAS? I have received all other DO requests now and not this one.

Several applicants around here had issues with receiving their secondary from UMDNJ. Call them--they'll probably say to fill out the one online. :thumbup:

Several applicants around here had issues with receiving their secondary from UMDNJ. Call them--they'll probably say to fill out the one online. :thumbup:

Please do a search of this forum. If you do, you will see that I posted instructions from the Admissions Office: We do not screen. Just go to the website and fill out the secondary. There is a small number of office personnel working on over 1000 applications, please be patient. But just go ahead and fill out the secondary. You do not need an invitation to do so.

I just received an interview invite I'm soooooo soooo excited, i didn't want to scream on the phone so am coming to scream here.....UMDNJ-SOM is my top choice! I'm praying very very hard!!

I just received an interview invite I'm soooooo soooo excited, i didn't want to scream on the phone so am coming to scream here.....UMDNJ-SOM is my top choice! I'm praying very very hard!!

When?

I am going up tomorrow :)

i filled out a secondary and mailed it in quite a long time ago in july. i have received no feedback from the school as to the status of my application. i was wondering if anyone else was in a similar boat or I should take that as them not being desirous of my application

i filled out a secondary and mailed it in quite a long time ago in july. i have received no feedback from the school as to the status of my application. i was wondering if anyone else was in a similar boat or I should take that as them not being desirous of my application

Same boat, here! :hello:

Maybe we're not liked. You could always call or email--I've heard that offices have been known to misplace things ;). You never know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please do a search of this forum. If you do, you will see that I posted instructions from the Admissions Office: We do not screen. Just go to the website and fill out the secondary. There is a small number of office personnel working on over 1000 applications, please be patient. But just go ahead and fill out the secondary. You do not need an invitation to do so.

Will do. Thank you.

Same boat, here! :hello:

Maybe we're not liked. You could always call or email--I've heard that offices have been known to misplace things ;). You never know.

Maybe you missed the interview score cutoff (they go off of a point system is what I heard). Might want to call and see if that is why you didn't get an interview or if there is something missing in your app. I heard they fill the class pretty quickly because it's a smaller class..only around a 100, so you want to interview before the beginning of the new year.

Maybe you missed the interview score cutoff (they go off of a point system is what I heard). Might want to call and see if that is why you didn't get an interview or if there is something missing in your app. I heard they fill the class pretty quickly because it's a smaller class..only around a 100, so you want to interview before the beginning of the new year.

Thanks for the insight. I seriously doubt I'd miss any sort of cutoff, unless they're averages are astronomical. I'm not too worried though. Just kinda confused. Maybe they didn't like my essay... :shrug:

Thanks for the insight. I seriously doubt I'd miss any sort of cutoff, unless they're averages are astronomical. I'm not too worried though. Just kinda confused. Maybe they didn't like my essay... :shrug:

They don't read that stuff to give you the interview..the interview is almost strictly based on numbers and whether you are in-state or out/state. I think it's like gpa*10 + MCAT. I was told, when I called, that the average mcat is 27 and gpa is like 3.5+...I don't know what the cut off is per se for the interview but I know before I updated my accomas I was like 2 or 3 points below the cut-off and after the update I was above the cut-off so I am guessing it is around a 60 or something in the range of 59-62. You might want to call and see what's going on...when I called I didn't know that accomas hadn't received my update so I re-sent it and sure enough a week or so later I got the call for the interview. Just make sure you are not missing anything like that because they won't call you and tell you and they won't reject you until the interview season is over. :luck:

I have my interview on 10/10...anyone else going to be there?

I'm kinda nervous I've had sinus pains and a headache the past few days and im worried im gonna be not on my best game during the interview.

Any last minute tips or advice?

hey had my interview last week, the interview is really laid back, the interviewer and i just went threw my application and asked if there were any questions I had about the school. Just relax and go threw the questions from sdn feedback and your application and you should be fine. The students were really nice and the tour guide was really friendly. The surrounding areas were not bad at all. They had a lot of stores and it seemed like it was a busy town. Overall the campus is really nice and I can really see myself going here for the next 4 years.

Last edited:
I have my interview on 10/10...anyone else going to be there?

I'm kinda nervous I've had sinus pains and a headache the past few days and im worried im gonna be not on my best game during the interview.

Any last minute tips or advice?

Yes. Relax. They are interested in finding out who you are. It is a very pleasant interview.

My interview is at 2. I'll be going up for noon stuff.

I'll be the tallest guy there :)

you were not kidding when you said you will be the tallest guy there!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

the interview was really nice. Do not be surprised/or nervous about 15 people interviewing on the same day..The admissions people are actually doing a great job picking their candidates, everyone was very nice and pleasant. I would love to have all of them as my classmates next yr.:D
just be yourself. the questions were not bad, just the usual "why a doctor, why Osteopathic, etc"

you were not kidding when you said you will be the tallest guy there!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

the interview was really nice. Do not be surprised/or nervous about 15 people interviewing on the same day..The admissions people are actually doing a great job picking their candidates, everyone was very nice and pleasant. I would love to have all of them as my classmates next yr.:D
just be yourself. the questions were not bad, just the usual "why a doctor, why Osteopathic, etc"

Statistical probability that I'm the tallest. I second everything you said. It was a good group. The students were good ambassadors for their school. And the interviews were to assess fit, not worth.

They don't read that stuff to give you the interview..the interview is almost strictly based on numbers and whether you are in-state or out/state. I think it's like gpa*10 + MCAT. I was told, when I called, that the average mcat is 27 and gpa is like 3.5+...I don't know what the cut off is per se for the interview but I know before I updated my accomas I was like 2 or 3 points below the cut-off and after the update I was above the cut-off so I am guessing it is around a 60 or something in the range of 59-62. You might want to call and see what's going on...when I called I didn't know that accomas hadn't received my update so I re-sent it and sure enough a week or so later I got the call for the interview. Just make sure you are not missing anything like that because they won't call you and tell you and they won't reject you until the interview season is over. :luck:

I'm new to this. I sent my secondary application into UMDNJ-SOM and recieved an email that it was complete 10/07 but I am waiting for an interview. I was wondering where on my AACOMAS application I could find how many points I have? There is a section for Quality POINTS 174 for science hours and total 467. There is also a section that says 47 hours for science and total hours 141.

I'm new to this. I sent my secondary application into UMDNJ-SOM and recieved an email that it was complete 10/07 but I am waiting for an interview. I was wondering where on my AACOMAS application I could find how many points I have? There is a section for Quality POINTS 174 for science hours and total 467. There is also a section that says 47 hours for science and total hours 141.

Look at the equation you quoted in your post....
And this is only for UMDNJ, and it is a guess, not official details.

gpa*10 + MCAT

UMDNJ SOM is my top choice...i dont knw if i am going to make it thru this week...i am so anxious:eek:

Again, this equation is what I have been told by other people that have applied there and what the admissions people told them when they applied. I think I read on here somewhere that last year it took like 88 points to get in (I think this is out of 100 total points). So if you fall below that you are wait-listed or rejected and if you make the cut-off you are accepted. I would think that if you are 100% certain that your application is complete i.e. all letters of rec, MCAT, and AACOMAS are received, and if you haven't received an interview it could be because you didn't make that score. Like I said earlier, I hadn't either but when AACOMAS sent them my updated info I made the cut-off...probably because of my new MCAT score (4 points higher :)) and they called me within a week of having received that update so they do re-review files if they receive any kind of update. I am not exactly confident about the gpa*10 + MCAT but am confident and certain about the point system because I have heard that repeatedly on sdn and from adcoms (they said...ohhh, yeah you just missed the cut-off but with your new score you will be above it)....to me that implies a numerical score determines whether or not you get an interview and whether or not you get accepted.

I would call the school and ask them what's going on with your application. You never know, they may have overlooked something and you calling them will remind them to take a look at your file.

:luck::luck:

Again, this equation is what I have been told by other people that have applied there and what the admissions people told them when they applied. I think I read on here somewhere that last year it took like 88 points to get in (I think this is out of 100 total points). So if you fall below that you are wait-listed or rejected and if you make the cut-off you are accepted. I would think that if you are 100% certain that your application is complete i.e. all letters of rec, MCAT, and AACOMAS are received, and if you haven't received an interview it could be because you didn't make that score. Like I said earlier, I hadn't either but when AACOMAS sent them my updated info I made the cut-off...probably because of my new MCAT score (4 points higher :)) and they called me within a week of having received that update so they do re-review files if they receive any kind of update. I am not exactly confident about the gpa*10 + MCAT but am confident and certain about the point system because I have heard that repeatedly on sdn and from adcoms (they said...ohhh, yeah you just missed the cut-off but with your new score you will be above it)....to me that implies a numerical score determines whether or not you get an interview and whether or not you get accepted.

I would call the school and ask them what's going on with your application. You never know, they may have overlooked something and you calling them will remind them to take a look at your file.

:luck::luck:

I have a 3.67 with a 37, so I wouldn't hit 88.... so something isn't quite accurate....

I have a 3.67 with a 37, so I wouldn't hit 88.... so something isn't quite accurate....

That's because it's not just about gpa and MCAT...:rolleyes: I'm talking about the interview. The interview(s) has it's own score. They also take into account state residency and extracurriculer's.

That's because it's not just about gpa and MCAT...:rolleyes: I'm talking about the interview. The interview(s) has it's own score. They also take into account state residency and extracurriculer's.

Sorry, thought you were talking about the formula.

Hey does anybody know if UMDNJ has a dress code for their students?

Hello,
I have yet to receive the secondary application from UMDNJ and my primary application has been released 9/24/08

I tried emailing the school ([email protected]), but the e-mail address does not seem to work. Every time I try to send the email, I receive an automatic email response saying that "delivery failed permanently".

IS anyone else having these issues? When did you guys receive the secondary app after being verified?

Hello,
I have yet to receive the secondary application from UMDNJ and my primary application has been released 9/24/08

I tried emailing the school ([email protected]), but the e-mail address does not seem to work. Every time I try to send the email, I receive an automatic email response saying that "delivery failed permanently".

IS anyone else having these issues? When did you guys receive the secondary app after being verified?

I'll PM you a new email address.

did anyone interview today? everyone was right abt the interview being laid back. being the pre-osteo that I am , i stressed all week but it was very relaxed and everyone is so supportive. Our tour guides were great and they made us laugh the whole time. i just didnt want to leave, i definitely see myself there. it's a GREAT school! gluck to all of us!!

I am new to SDN. Some of you guys are talking about formula points and cutoff. May I know how to calculate it and what is the range of competitive formula points for osteopathic medical schools?

It is state funded school, they probably like in state.

I emailed the school to check if my file had everything they needed, and they still haven't gotten my secondary. I sent it 23 days ago, 2 day post. Is there a chance that it just hasn't been processed by the school, or should I resend it?

I emailed the school to check if my file had everything they needed, and they still haven't gotten my secondary. I sent it 23 days ago, 2 day post. Is there a chance that it just hasn't been processed by the school, or should I resend it?

The best advice i can give you is to call the adm office. They are very helpful and they will def let you know if they got your application, and where it stands in the process. Specially for those people that are still waiting to hear from them for months. call..call call:laugh:

Anyone else up for review tomorrow? I am getting really nervous...hopefully they get to me tomorrow, I interviewed October 3rd
oh god the suspense is killing me...

Anyone else up for review tomorrow? I am getting really nervous...hopefully they get to me tomorrow, I interviewed October 3rd

I am up for tomorrow as well. Best wishes to you. Relax and have a beer. You've done all you can do on your end.

the wait is killing!!!:scared: I think I am going to sleep all day so i think about it too much:sleep::sleep::sleep:
if anyone gets the call post as soon as you can:thumbup:

It is state funded school, they probably like in state.

I called the adm office a few months ago, and they said that they do not show preference to instate applicants. The princeton review book says the same thing. I thought this was a little wierd because, like you said, it is a state funded school. But I guess that's good news for us OOSers.

Good luck to everyone awaiting review today. I interviewed on the Oct 2nd and i'm keeping my fingers-crossed!!

I'm sitting here at work waiting for my cell phone to ring. Anyone know the turnaround time on the adcom meeting (3rd friday of the month) to applicant notification?

c'mon...ring damnit. :scared:

I'm sitting here at work waiting for my cell phone to ring. Anyone know the turnaround time on the adcom meeting (3rd friday of the month) to applicant notification?

c'mon...ring damnit. :scared:

i think from last years posts we wont hear anything until after 2 or 3pm...

with my luck they'll call while im driving home from work :laugh:

Good luck everyone!

What about rejections? Do they call to notify you or email ( to spare us the grief)?

Status
Not open for further replies.