UMDNJ Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No problem - good luck!

Seems like i got your interview slot. Thanks buddy! I just got a call today at 4 in the afternoon asking if I could make it tomorrow for a spot that just opened!

Members don't see this ad.

Man, can anyone find anything wrong with this school? After my interview and tour I just feel in love with UMDNJ-SOM. I think this is my #1 choice now.

Members don't see this ad :)
They told me they were not meeting the 21st because of Good Friday. They said they didn't know when they were going to meet but either sometime during the week before that or the following week. I hope its soon too, but my interviewer said I could expect a response around the first week of April.

humm...Mine said I should expect a response by the middle of March. When did you interview?

also do you know if there are still spots opened, or are we basically hold out for a good wait list number?

Hope you're right. I interviewed the day after you and I believe they said they were still accepting people when I asked.

Hope you're right. I interviewed the day after you and I believe they said they were still accepting people when I asked.

hey under, do you mind sharing your stats? i applied since october and haven't heard a word since. it may be due to the fact that i am a nys resident though. :(

hey under, do you mind sharing your stats? i applied since october and haven't heard a word since. it may be due to the fact that i am a nys resident though. :(

I'm an NYS resident and my stats are 27 MCAT, 3.5 science, 3.6 overall and 3.5 non-science GPA. I was complete Feb 6th. I really hope you get an interview. I think the next open spots are after April.

I recently changed my residency to NJ since I'm in school here, but originally applied out of state. I was complete at the end of September at the latest. My cumulative gpa is 3.5 and 3.3 science and MCAT was 30. If it helps at all my interviewer was on the adcom and said they basically look at your gpa first and then mcat and basically score you on it and if your total score is above a certain cut off you're in if its below you're rejected and in between waitlisted. He also told me the interview doesn't count for anything just as long as you don't say anything stupid. They really wanted people that were really there for osteopathic medicine and not just to get into med school. Hope that helps.

Interesting Under....I didn't know they were such a numbers school. I wonder what their cut off is? Any Ideas? I'm thinking 26Mcat, 3.4-3.5 gpa? But thats just my guess.

I'm an NYS resident and my stats are 27 MCAT, 3.5 science, 3.6 overall and 3.5 non-science GPA. I was complete Feb 6th. I really hope you get an interview. I think the next open spots are after April.

LOL, I have the EXACT same stats as well as being a NYS resident. I'm not sure why I'm not qualified for an interview either!! I have research, some pubs, and clinical experience (but no DO letter <- is this the reason?).

Good luck to you too; I hope we both get in. :luck::luck:

LOL, I have the EXACT same stats as well as being a NYS resident. I'm not sure why I'm not qualified for an interview either!! I have research, some pubs, and clinical experience (but no DO letter <- is this the reason?).

Good luck to you too; I hope we both get in. :luck::luck:

I didn't have a DO letter either. But I was an EMT for 3 years, a biochem TA and I did Clinical neuroscience research for my honors thesis. Maybe graduating from an Ivy league undergrad is what helped me. Who knows....I don't think we can nitpick at our applications and see what the differences were and why interviewed one of us and not the other. This process is so random. It could have been a LOR that made the difference. At this point, all we can do is wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to both of you! I truly have no idea what they're looking for. I have a lot of different extra curriculars, but nothing really special. I've done research, volunteering, etc but nothing long term. I did have a DO letter but i'm not sure if that did it. From what I've seen on other websites their average gpa was about a 3.5. They also said they had a slight preference for in state but two of the four interviewees that day were out of state. I really liked the school, and I really want to be in New Jersey next year so I'm hoping I get in, but it seems like theres no real way to know what they're looking for.

One other thing! My interviewer told me they were interviewing through April and I got a call two weeks before my interview to come. Hope you guys get some good news soon!

I just wanted to say good luck to everyone! I'm going to be applying here in the upcoming cycle, and I already can't wait. I know a few and have met even more people who have gone to UMDNJ, and not a single one of them had a bad thing to say.

I just wanted to say good luck to everyone! I'm going to be applying here in the upcoming cycle, and I already can't wait. I know a few and have met even more people who have gone to UMDNJ, and not a single one of them had a bad thing to say.

Good luck next year! One tip, apply early. As for the people not having any bad things to say about UMDNJ, I totally agree. When I was there for my interview, it seemed like the students were very the happy there (as compared to various other schools I interviewed at, MD and DO). Even the professors lecturing were open and nice to their students (I decided to sit into an OMM lecture). Needless to say, I was very impressed.

Yeah, I worked there for a bit, so I got to know a few residents who are now faculty (Drs. DiGiovanni and Cooper in vascular surgery--Vince was a general surgery resident when I knew him, and John was a vascular fellow). Those guys were great. I also met a few of the ortho residents at the hospital I currently work at.

Thanks for the advice! I'm planning on applying super early. I hope my current research yields some kind of tangible result before I apply, like a pub or something.

Any tips for the interview? What kind of questions do they ask? What's the format? I'm interviewing Thursday! :oops: Thanks in advance

You'll be fine. It's a chill interview. They take forever to get back to you though:thumbdown:

As Corney as this sounds, but just be yourself. Overall, its very relaxed and the staff and interviewer really makes you feel at home and comfortable. So don't stress out, just be happy that you are there!

So, for all of you that interviewed in march, the next adcom meeting is March 28th. We probally wont hear back until the week after that. Guess we got a good 2+ weeks till we hear anything. Here's to waiting.

a) Did anyone go to the accepted students day? I missed it and was curious to see if any new info was learned that you might want to share with us?
b) I looked through my paperwork, and I may have misplaced this, but how do I find out what a typical schedule looks like/semester for the first two years? I don't want PBL, so I'm trying to figure out how many hours/week we are actually in class in the traditional program. Any links/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

a) Did anyone go to the accepted students day? I missed it and was curious to see if any new info was learned that you might want to share with us?
b) I looked through my paperwork, and I may have misplaced this, but how do I find out what a typical schedule looks like/semester for the first two years? I don't want PBL, so I'm trying to figure out how many hours/week we are actually in class in the traditional program. Any links/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

a) Hm. The morning consisted of various speakers congratulating us of our acceptance, and repeatedly saying how difficult our next 4 years will be. Then there was a session to ask any questions that we had to a current medical student. After that was lunch. Then there was an hour where 5 doctors dropped by to introduce their field to us (FM, medicine, OB/GYN, Peds) and the elaboration of the PBL program with Dr. Griesback. Then the afternoon ended with walking around booths with apartment salespeople and reps from school clubs. There wasn't really any new information- maybe just that 3300 applied, and 108 got in this year.

b) From what was said by first and second year students, the traditional program is a 9-5 program.

Hope this helps. See you later in the year.

a) Hm. The morning consisted of various speakers congratulating us of our acceptance, and repeatedly saying how difficult our next 4 years will be. Then there was a session to ask any questions that we had to a current medical student. After that was lunch. Then there was an hour where 5 doctors dropped by to introduce their field to us (FM, medicine, OB/GYN, Peds) and the elaboration of the PBL program with Dr. Griesback. Then the afternoon ended with walking around booths with apartment salespeople and reps from school clubs. There wasn't really any new information- maybe just that 3300 applied, and 108 got in this year.

b) From what was said by first and second year students, the traditional program is a 9-5 program.

Hope this helps. See you later in the year.

does that mean the interview process is over for umdnj? :(

There wasn't really any new information- maybe just that 3300 applied, and 108 got in this year.

Really? last i heard they still had spots opened and they did not fill their class yet. Did the say there were going to be 108 spots this year or did they say that 108 people have already gotten in and the class is full?

i was there and all that was said was that the class was going to be 108 students, nothing about the class being filled. I have heard various things around the school (i am here already in the grad program) ranging from interviews ending this month to the class still having some seats left. So as I cannot say for sure that the class is not full, I can def. promise it was not said to us last Friday.

...class still having some seats left. So as I cannot say for sure that the class is not full, I can def. promise it was not said to us last Friday.

Phew, thanks for the info! At least you didn't hear any rumors that the class was full. This wait is killing me. I just need some way to pass the time cause if I don't my mind races. At least I gotta couple shows to hit up this week so it will help with that time passing.

btw, i see you play guitar. Ive been playing for like 12 years (I was in a couple of bands). If i do get in, I would love to jam around (when we don't have to study for tests) what kinda music do you like?

btw, i see you play guitar. Ive been playing for like 12 years (I was in a couple of bands). If i do get in, I would love to jam around (when we don't have to study for tests) what kinda music do you like?

i have been playing for about 11 years myself. Been in a few bands, currently trying to get a new one started, but its impossible to find the time and I can imagine that wont get any easier coming up.. But I listen to alot of different stuff, anything from Metallica to My chemical romance, dave matthews, chili peppers, guns n roses, green day, basicaly any kind of rock. Just not into the dance and rap stuff :laugh:
but im always up for a good jam session, I have my guitars down here with me. Good luck to you, hope you get in! Stay positive and you will be fine, playing guitar is always a good way to pass the time when your mind starts running wild..

Just called ADCOM and they told me that they are no longer interviewing. They received 3800+ applications for 108 spots. The average GPA is 3.6 and the average MCAT is reported to be around a 29-30.

Just called ADCOM and they told me that they are no longer interviewing. They received 3800+ applications for 108 spots. The average GPA is 3.6 and the average MCAT is reported to be around a 29-30.

wow, bummer, I'm sorry man.

On a side note, those stats are crazy high. SOM is really selective...

i have been playing for about 11 years myself. Been in a few bands, currently trying to get a new one started, but its impossible to find the time and I can imagine that wont get any easier coming up.. But I listen to alot of different stuff, anything from Metallica to My chemical romance, dave matthews, chili peppers, guns n roses, green day, basicaly any kind of rock. Just not into the dance and rap stuff :laugh:
but im always up for a good jam session, I have my guitars down here with me. Good luck to you, hope you get in! Stay positive and you will be fine, playing guitar is always a good way to pass the time when your mind starts running wild..

I'm applying to the 2008/2009 cycle, but I live in jersey. I've been playing the bass for about 8 years if you're looking for someone to play with. I listen to pretty much everything you listed there, plus some other stuff.

Just to make this a somewhat relevant post, I heard UMDNJ presses primary care a lot. If that's true, if you list on the secondary that you want to go into surgery, are you f-ed?

hey look on the bright side, you got into NYCOM, which is an amazing school albeit the price.

True - should be content with my acceptance. Gotta work with what I got right? I'll show UMDNJ-SOM what a big mistake they made in 4 years!! :laugh:

Anyways, good luck to you. Though I'm not in, I hope you get in and become successful. :luck:

As an incoming first year student, I think these stats are just awesome for our school and its reputation. (applause!) These numbers should be distributed to all NJ colleges so that less pre-meds and pre-med committees will think of DO as a back up to an MD school and more will really be genuinely interested for the OMT and philosophy.
GOod job guys!

I'm applying to the 2008/2009 cycle, but I live in jersey. I've been playing the bass for about 8 years if you're looking for someone to play with. I listen to pretty much everything you listed there, plus some other stuff.

Just to make this a somewhat relevant post, I heard UMDNJ presses primary care a lot. If that's true, if you list on the secondary that you want to go into surgery, are you f-ed?

No you are not f-ed. And no, UMDNJ-SOM does not press primary care. They make you out to be the best osteopathic physician you can be in whatever field you want to go into.

they told me they are interviewing until may, i think i have gave up on them. i hear something else every time i call them. It is sad because i do really like the school. I got in touro ny and i have an interview with nycom on wednesday. Which school do you guys prefer. I am kinda leaning heavily to nycom if i get in, any thoughts?

they told me they are interviewing until may, i think i have gave up on them. i hear something else every time i call them. It is sad because i do really like the school. I got in touro ny and i have an interview with nycom on wednesday. Which school do you guys prefer. I am kinda leaning heavily to nycom if i get in, any thoughts?

Not bashing Touro, but I'd personally rather go to a more established school such as NYCOM.

Both places will get you that DO degree though, so I guess ultimately it is up you and your personal preferences. (Class size, location, tuition, rotation policies, etc.)

Good luck on your interviews.

No you are not f-ed. And no, UMDNJ-SOM does not press primary care. They make you out to be the best osteopathic physician you can be in whatever field you want to go into.

Yay! :laugh: That makes me happy, because I really want to do surgery (right now, since it's all I've been exposed to really).

Can someone post 2008 NJMS match list :)

Can someone post 2008 NJMS match list :)

Hey md14, this is the thread for UMDNJ-SOM not UMDNJ-NJMS. You might have some better luck posting in the Allopathic or Pre-allopathic forums.

Can someone post the UMDNJ-SOM 2008 match list then? haha. =)

it is in the midst of being compiled by some students - some people have hard copies but we didn't get anything digital that would be easy to post

Hey, DOctorJay any notable matches? You know, just to hold us over until we get to see the full list :D.

Just a quick shout out...best wishes to those that are being voted on tomorrow by the adcom! May you hear some good news! :)