UMass Amherst vs. University at Buffalo

darienms

Reaction score
Hey SDNers, I am a high school senior that has narrowed down his choices to two schools. University at Buffalo (In-state) vs UMass Amherst are the two that I am deciding between. I loved UMass on the visit, and I think that in general the quality of life would be better (dorms, food, weather, campus safety and campus look itself all are superior in my opinion), but it is in the middle of nowhere and most of the activities are on the campus itself or the immediate rural area. The key difference between the two is that Buffalo is a city and has the opportunities of a city (including a major hospital and an affiliate medical school) while Amherst is the opposite. Both schools costs are manageable for our family.

My question is, could any UMass Amherst alumni share their experience at the University and where they got the required medical experience from? Thank you and have a nice day! :)

edit 4/9: I chose UMass as my school of attendance! If there are any other hSDNers that are interested why, feel free to send me a message!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey SDNers, I am a high school senior that has narrowed down his choices to two schools. University at Buffalo (In-state) vs UMass Amherst are the two that I am deciding between. I loved UMass on the visit, and I think that in general the quality of life would be better (dorms, food, weather, campus safety and campus look itself all are superior in my opinion), but it is in the middle of nowhere and most of the activities are on the campus itself or the immediate rural area. The key difference between the two is that Buffalo is a city and has the opportunities of a city (including a major hospital and an affiliate medical school) while Amherst is the opposite. Both schools costs are manageable for our family.

My question is, could any UMass Amherst alumni share their experience at the University and where they got the required medical experience from? Thank you and have a nice day! :)

edit 4/9: I chose UMass as my school of attendance! If there are any other hSDNers that are interested why, feel free to send me a message!
Hello I would like to know more about your path to a Medical Career. I am in High school too. Getting conflicting information about what to pursue. Any guidance would be very helpful. Why did you pick UMass Amherst if your ultimate aim is to get into a Medical college? If a person's SAT scores (1540), AP results(5,5,4), etc are very good, should they still continue to pursue UMass? Does UMass offer any combined Program where you can skip MCAT? Some other states do that.