UK vs USA vet schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C_Kate

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a junior in high school and currently trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. I am currently living in Colorado and have been looking into going to vet school. But, unfortunately a lot of the U.S. schools are very expensive and take a lot of time with most people needing an undergrad to get prerequisites. So, I did more research and I learned that the UK specifically England has some good programs and some vet schools you can start straight out of high school with lower tuition than US schools. The only problem is I have not seen much on comparisons of the vet schools, what the prerequisites are for international students, and confirmation that I can go there straight from high school if I get those prerequisites. So does anyone have any information on any of this or suggestions on how I can get it?

Members don't see this ad.

For University of Glasgow, all Americans that I know (mostly all), we've gotten undergraduate degrees. The British students and a very small amount of Canadians that have high school similar to the British schooling, start at 18. As an American, I honestly don't think I would have been ready for this program at 18 and I did 5 or 6 AP tests, very high achieving.
The tuition is very comparable but I wouldn't say lower as I have a 5 year degree. But significantly lower if you don't do an undergraduate degree. I would contact the specific schools your questions.

Reactions: 1 users
I know someone that went straight from HS in America into Glasgow's 5 year program. Honestly it's a really smart move. You'd be starting with a bunch of other 18-20 year olds so you probably wouldn't feel out of place. You'd have to email admissions for specific information. You might need a year or so of community college classes to meet their A-levels requirements, but I don't actually know specifically. There's Australian and NZ schools with this option too.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I am a junior in high school and currently trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. I am currently living in Colorado and have been looking into going to vet school. But, unfortunately a lot of the U.S. schools are very expensive and take a lot of time with most people needing an undergrad to get prerequisites. So, I did more research and I learned that the UK specifically England has some good programs and some vet schools you can start straight out of high school with lower tuition than US schools. The only problem is I have not seen much on comparisons of the vet schools, what the prerequisites are for international students, and confirmation that I can go there straight from high school if I get those prerequisites. So does anyone have any information on any of this or suggestions on how I can get it?
Edinburgh has a similar 5-year program allowing entry from high school. It would be worth checking out as well.