UK vs. Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ballaballa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given a choice between the University of Birminigham (a 5-year program) and the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland (a 6-year program), which one would be a better choice for securing a residency in the United States, should I choose that path in the future?

I mean RCSI's tuition is considerably higher, so what exactly are the real advantages of obtaining a degree from RCSI vs. obtaining one from a good university in UK ie. Birmingham or Dundee.

Additionally, if I am to secure the United States, is it necessary for me to obtain a B. Sc degree (along with an MBChB degree) in a UK medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

ballaballa said:
Given a choice between the University of Birminigham (a 5-year program) and the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland (a 6-year program), which one would be a better choice for securing a residency in the United States, should I choose that path in the future?

I mean RCSI's tuition is considerably higher, so what exactly are the real advantages of obtaining a degree from RCSI vs. obtaining one from a good university in UK ie. Birmingham or Dundee.

Additionally, if I am to secure the United States, is it necessary for me to obtain a B. Sc degree (along with an MBChB degree) in a UK medical school?

I'd have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending Birmingham over RCSI. For one, as you've pointed out, there's a huge difference in expense. You've a year less in Birmigham, and the fees are probably cheaper per year as well!

Another reason I'd pick a UK school over RCSI is the fact that RCSI is just a medical school, and as a result doesn't really offer the full university experience. It's full of rich Arab kids and other nationalities that aren't good enough to get in anywhere else (maybe I'm exaggerating a tiny bit, but it's run as a private business and they set the standard).

Consider as well you can do an intercalated science degree in Birmingham for a year during your medical course; you'd have a MBChB BSc (Med Sci) to show for 6 years in the UK, while 6 years at RCSI would just get you their MBChBBAO.

With regard to teaching, Birmingham is probably better than RCSI, although it's hard to compare. A general rule of thumb is a larger population equals more hospitals and therefore better training opportunities. I just know that by Irish standards RCSI isn't rated that well, with the exception of its anatomy department.

The only pro for RCSI is how extensive their old boys network is in the USA, and whether this would count for anything. You can bet Birmingham has nowhere near the same number of graduates practicing in the USA, but that's because Birmingham doesn't graduate Americans too often. ;) Who knows, it might make you stand out more!

Congratulations on being offered a place at a UK school! From what a lot of the international students say on these boards, it's meant to be extremely difficult, more so that Ireland, even though I thought it was relatively easy. :)