UK STUDENT to Philippines MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nazuk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Guys i am a student who is in the final year of BSc in the UK, i want to come to phili to study medicine. But i cant go there, i have to make this decision blindly. So far i have been offered $1500 charge by a consultant for arrangemet fees. Is this a rip off? I assume that all he going to do is visa stuff and getting me a taxi to the college on arrival. But as i will be busy till at least may, is this my only option for securing a place now??? I dont think i will have the time to do anything very long winded. All help is welcome and needed. Thankx

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, there are no middlemen at all for any of the philippine medical schools. And yeah if that 1500 dollar fee doesn't include a plane ticket to the philippines, it's a rip off.

Don't trust anyone from my point of view.

Research
University of Santo Tomas
University of the East Ramon Magsasay
St. Lukes College of Medicine
Far Eastern University College of Medicine
Fatima

Call the admissions people for help.
You can get the applications online, and just mail it along with the required documents for admission.
Cheaper than $1500.00

look at this forum and do a search or just check the past history posts.
valuemd.com go to asia section for more info on philippine medicine.

Good luck and ask questions for more answers or search for it.

Hi, Guys i am a student who is in the final year of BSc in the UK, i want to come to phili to study medicine. But i cant go there, i have to make this decision blindly. So far i have been offered $1500 charge by a consultant for arrangemet fees. Is this a rip off? I assume that all he going to do is visa stuff and getting me a taxi to the college on arrival. But as i will be busy till at least may, is this my only option for securing a place now??? I dont think i will have the time to do anything very long winded. All help is welcome and needed. Thankx

i say - use that $1500 for your first semester's tuition and skip the consultant. I believe the school will take care of the student visa. Call the school yourself and have someone run around for your documents (like a family member) -- if you're going to be busy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well i did not get a place at home (UK), so i think at age 28 i am leaning towards going to phili for one last go. I looked at a lot of the posts that have already been put up and ans, but there is very little information for UK students.

I dont understand how my undergrad BSc allows me to get in to the end stage of medicine here, i.e the four year course.

As the course is catered towards the USA what are the chances that i could get into doing my fourth year there? Is the final year in the USA system the same format as the phili system? I presume students that get to do their final year in the USA do their MCATs after the MD course.

Am i correct in thinking MD and MBBS are interchangable. The same name for qualifications that are practiced in all nations? Because in east europe you get MD.

Any way i am going to call the unis that you guys suggested and Southwestern/Cebu Doctors Universities. I think that i can get a deferment on the NCATS, though iv done no research on them. I presume the money does the job for entry there! ( not bribes just the currency we bring ).

PS Am i correct in presuming that bout 30-40% of starters finish? If so is it the same for those entering into fourth year straight?

Well i did not get a place at home (UK), so i think at age 28 i am leaning towards going to phili for one last go. I looked at a lot of the posts that have already been put up and ans, but there is very little information for UK students.

I dont understand how my undergrad BSc allows me to get in to the end stage of medicine here, i.e the four year course.

As the course is catered towards the USA what are the chances that i could get into doing my fourth year there? Is the final year in the USA system the same format as the phili system? I presume students that get to do their final year in the USA do their MCATs after the MD course.

Am i correct in thinking MD and MBBS are interchangable. The same name for qualifications that are practiced in all nations? Because in east europe you get MD.

Any way i am going to call the unis that you guys suggested and Southwestern/Cebu Doctors Universities. I think that i can get a deferment on the NCATS, though iv done no research on them. I presume the money does the job for entry there! ( not bribes just the currency we bring ).

PS Am i correct in presuming that bout 30-40% of starters finish? If so is it the same for those entering into fourth year straight?

so i thought your case was interesting so i googled and found this:
http://www.personneltoday.com/artic...s-banned-from-training-as-doctors-in-the.html

are you planning on going back to UK to practice there?

There is no problem for me because i am a british national. Cheers for letting me know.

Have made a short list

Cebu doctors
Southwestern
Fatima-do they only offer US clerkship to top students.

Which one??? Advice please

Are u a Fil-Uk? If not, then what makes you think that the PI is the place for you.

For anybody to give you really useful advice, then you need to pony up a lot more info about yourself so that we can see where your head is.

Are u a Fil-Uk? If not, then what makes you think that the PI is the place for you.

For anybody to give you really useful advice, then you need to pony up a lot more info about yourself so that we can see where your head is.

Saipan - i hope you're not being hostile (because it sounds like you are) -- these days, we need friendlier doctors...

I guess the reason why he/she is on this forum is because he/she's trying to find more information. we really shouldn't assume that non-filipino foreigners are not fit for the philippines nor should we give the impression that we're discouraging them from studying there, just because. wouldn't that be discrimination?

anyway, if you're not trying to be mean, I apologize.

Last edited: