uk foundation years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephanie05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi im intrested in the uk foundtion year in medicine, and was wondering if neone here was in thr process of completing or is applying to a medicinal foundation course?if so canyou give some info if you know of any for international students? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I completed the foundation course at GKT, King's College, University of London last year and am currently finishing MBBS Yr 1. The foundation course was basically intensive science for students with a non-science background. I had an undergraduate degree in music from University of Toronto. The students in the programme had very diverse backgrounds...investment banker, documentary film maker, third world social worker, etc. Successful completion of the course leads to automatic entry into medicine or dentistry at GKT.

I was the only Canadian last year (though I believe there are 4 or 5 Canadians in the GKT foundation course this year. I don't think that there were any Americans. It's fairly competitive - there were around 350 applicants for 40 spots and most of the spots are for non-overseas students.

I think GKT also has a new foundation course for American students (but I'm not sure if it leads to automatic entry into GKT med school - it might just be a pre-med study abroad programme). I will try and find more information. If you're interest, you should contact GKT directly.

Cheers, Jane :)

King's College (University of London) does have a premed course for American undergrad students interested in a semester or a year abroad. Presumably Canadian students would be allowed to apply....

Here is the link www.kcl.ac.uk/jya

Let me know if you need any further information about the GKT foundation course or the premed course.

Jane