UIWSOM vs ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted953743

Hello! After a rough cycle, I'm so happy to have been offered two seats. I would really appreciate if you could help me choose between these schools. Tuition doesn't matter to me-- I'm trying to focus on location, curriculum, and quality of life (their importances not in any kind of order)

UIWSOM - University of the Incarnate Word SOM (San Antonio, TX)

Pros:
  • Abundant friends and extended family in Houston, Austin and Dallas for support system (MY MAIN REASON FOR WANTING THIS SCHOOL)
  • Amazing Dean - I really feel like I'll be in good hands (maybe hehe) even if I have doubts about a new school
  • LARGE emphasis on mental health and wellness
  • Flipped classroom - less time in class and gives us large blocks of time to do what we want after 12 on Tuesdays & Thursdays (I think)
  • Has some early clinical experiences with street medicine club + future free clinic on campus
  • Opportunities for basic science and clinical research
  • Connected to large university system
  • Able to interact with other health profession students
  • Apartments in walking distance from campus (I might not have a car)
  • Cane's chicken + other restaurants in walking distance of campus
  • Military base nearby for future ADT rotations (I'm a HPSP scholar)
  • Fun, urban area - lively city + tubing nearby
Cons:
  • New school - no info on how well curriculum prepares for board since no students have taken it yet
  • Flipped classroom - case-based learning & I'm used to lecture-based learning
  • Professional dress code
  • Mandatory attendance
  • Not many comfy study spaces on campus
  • Campus looks kind of prison-like since it used to be a military base

ATSU-SOMA - A.T Still University (Mesa, Arizona)

Pros:
  • Established school with excellent boards
  • Two members of extended family in Phoenix for support system
  • Connected well with many faculty during interviews
  • I love their mission to serve the under-served, and I honestly resonate so well with it. Lots of *osteopathic* enthusiasm throughout their presentations that I agree with and would like to work towards as well.
  • 1 + 3 curriculum - getting clinical experiences a year earlier than most medical students (MY MAIN REASON FOR REALLY WANTING THIS SCHOOL)
  • First years get a higher capacity of training to deal with patients
  • Lecture-based + case based learning
  • Attendance not mandatory and can be streamed
  • No professional dress code
  • Opportunities for clinical research + required clinical project during CHC period
  • Asian community nearby
  • Abundance of outdoor activities
  • Lively, urban environment nearby in Phoenix and surrounding areas
  • YMCA right by campus for gym + swimming
  • Travel hotspot with Grand Canyon, Cali, snowboarding, hiking spots, and Las Vegas relatively nearby
Cons:
  • 1 + 3 curriculum - CHC placement is unpredictable and may be in unfavorable area. Right now my placement is an Illinois area
  • Quality of didactic education after first year is unknown.....
  • HOT AF HERE
  • The move from Midwest (currently) to Arizona is difficult
  • No apartment or commercial eateries nearby (Must drive)
  • Not many family members here to help me out if need be
  • No opportunities for basic science research

Summary: I love love love the curriculum at A.T Still, but it's a long way from home and CHC placement is uncertain. I love love love that I'll be near family at UIWSOM, but I'm unsure about the quality of education I'm getting there since it's only 2 years old.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users