UICOM v. Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indecisivepremed_

Reaction score
Hello! I know it's late to talk about this but since I was fortunate to be accepted by two Illinois schools, UICOM and Loyola, I want to learn some perspectives from everyone! I wish to specialize in Derm, Cardiology, or Radiology in the future. Which school will be a better fit? I enjoyed my interview days at each school and everyone seems to be very cool during my second look visits. The caveat is I was assigned to the Peoria campus for UICOM whereas Loyola would be in Maywood/Chicago. I am an Illinois resident. What are pros/cons about these two schools? Any perspective is appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked at the match lists from UIC-Peoria? Have people had success matching into the specialties you’re interested in? I believe Loyola has some representation in each of those specialties. Perhaps it might be easier to get experience in those fields at Loyola? Having said that, I know UIC is technically ranked more highly and you could always do “away” rotations at the Chicago campus to get your experiences.

Also congrats on getting into both of those schools! I’m from Illinois so you’re def living my dream right now haha

UICOM Chicago student here. If it matters to you, another thing to consider between the two schools is their preclinical testing. UICOM has system block testing and tests anywhere between every 6-10 weeks. Loyola tests much for frequently.

As a UICOM Chicago student, I would love the small class size that they have Rockford or Peoria. Chicago has limited anatomy contact and scheduling is a mess trying to coordinate 180 students. Instructors are also consistent at the smaller campuses while Chicago sees some people once who just read slides that were created by someone at the smaller campuses. I often watched the lectures from the other campuses.

Members don't see this ad :)
UICOM Chicago student here. If it matters to you, another thing to consider between the two schools is their preclinical testing. UICOM has system block testing and tests anywhere between every 6-10 weeks. Loyola tests much for frequently.

As a UICOM Chicago student, I would love the small class size that they have Rockford or Peoria. Chicago has limited anatomy contact and scheduling is a mess trying to coordinate 180 students. Instructors are also consistent at the smaller campuses while Chicago sees some people once who just read slides that were created by someone at the smaller campuses. I often watched the lectures from the other campuses.
I definitely see that perspective of the benefits to a smaller class size. Although, my concern is that with a smaller class size at the Peoria campus, are the resources, faculty mentors, and staff limited to the extent that it would negatively impact my chances of getting into competitive residencies.

Have you looked at the match lists from UIC-Peoria? Have people had success matching into the specialties you’re interested in? I believe Loyola has some representation in each of those specialties. Perhaps it might be easier to get experience in those fields at Loyola? Having said that, I know UIC is technically ranked more highly and you could always do “away” rotations at the Chicago campus to get your experiences.

Also congrats on getting into both of those schools! I’m from Illinois so you’re def living my dream right now haha
Thanks! I have looked at the residency match lists, but I feel that because the size of the Peoria campus there isn’t much significance to putting too much weight on where student match into. It seems it fluctuates quite a lot each year between specialties.

Interestingly enough, neither UIC-Peoria campus nor Loyola have dermatology departments, so I am not sure if I would be able to find great mentors as either if that is the speciality I want to pursue.

Thanks! I have looked at the residency match lists, but I feel that because the size of the Peoria campus there isn’t much significance to putting too much weight on where student match into. It seems it fluctuates quite a lot each year between specialties.

Interestingly enough, neither UIC-Peoria campus nor Loyola have dermatology departments, so I am not sure if I would be able to find great mentors as either if that is the speciality I want to pursue.

Here is UICOMP Derm info: Department of Dermatology | College of Medicine Peoria | University of Illinois College of Medicine

Here is Loyola Derm info: Dermatology: Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Campus

I definitely see that perspective of the benefits to a smaller class size. Although, my concern is that with a smaller class size at the Peoria campus, are the resources, faculty mentors, and staff limited to the extent that it would negatively impact my chances of getting into competitive residencies.

This was exactly my concern with UICOM Peoria and I believe Peoria does hinder your chances! For a competitive residency, you need a high step 2 score and impactful research experience. What I found out from some Peoria students (M1 and M3) was that they only have "3-4 bench research labs doing significant research" and "a lot of people try to do research in Chicago the summer between M1 and M2!" So there is a lot of competition to get research experience in Peoria. I'd want to establish a relationship with a lab to do research during all 4 years of school which would be way more meaningful for residency applications than just doing research over the summer (6 weeks long). Also, UICOM Peoria is focused on family medicine, which is what a lot of students are aiming for over there so that is super limiting if you are trying to do Derm, Cardio, or Rad. Stritch has a huge research hub and on top of that you are close to all the big hospitals in Chicago that you can do rotations at and network with for those competitive residency spots.

Chicago is where all the opportunities are that can help you get that competitive residency. Loyola all the way!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I know it's late to talk about this but since I was fortunate to be accepted by two Illinois schools, UICOM and Loyola, I want to learn some perspectives from everyone! I wish to specialize in Derm, Cardiology, or Radiology in the future. Which school will be a better fit? I enjoyed my interview days at each school and everyone seems to be very cool during my second look visits. The caveat is I was assigned to the Peoria campus for UICOM whereas Loyola would be in Maywood/Chicago. I am an Illinois resident. What are pros/cons about these two schools? Any perspective is appreciated! Thank you!
Hi! If you don't mind sharing, which school did you end up picking? :giggle: