UIC vs Marquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vk223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another vs question! I read almost all of the past threads about UIC/Marquette, but still cannot make my decision..

Can anyone share their thoughts?

I'm primarily looking into the following area:
-curriculum
-good preparation for boards
-clinical
-opportunity for specializing
-overall happiness
etc...

They have about the same tuition. I'm not quite sure about UIC's SGL curriculum and rotations in D3/D4... Both are great locations, but I have friends and family around Chicago.

Any kind of input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha Vk223, I am literally in the same boat as you! Except also I'm throwing Iowa into the mix (but I'm still not sold on it either..ughh). WE NEED HELP PLEASE lol

Reactions: 1 users
Haha Vk223, I am literally in the same boat as you! Except also I'm throwing Iowa into the mix (but I'm still not sold on it either..ughh). WE NEED HELP PLEASE lol
Which state are you from? After struggling till 5am one night, I decided I might just place my deposit on UIC. Even though facility is older and tuition might be a little more expensive, I will be closer to family and friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
IL resident, I am still undecided between (Marquette, Iowa, UIC). :(

Let me know if you guys are still trying to decide. I can provide info about UIC

GnarGnar2016, please do! Anything and everything you tell me would be greatly beneficial!

Ok I'll do my best.

We don't have any strict requirements before graduation, but you are expected to do the following:

- 20-25 crowns
- 1 bridge
- 6 arches of dentures
- 6 arches of removable partial dentures
- 4 root canals
- Restore 2 implants
- You will spend 2 months in the oral surgery rotation, where you will pull dozens of teeth
- They don't keep track of how many fillings you do because you will do hundreds
- As D4s, if you qualify for the program, you can place implants

Like I said, these aren't strict requirements. You will generally have the opportunity to do more of each. If you are specializing, they will be a little more relaxed on you depending on your speciality.

There is NEVER a shortage of patients. If you don't have a patient scheduled or they cancel, you can do urgent care (at least 10 patients a day). If you don't do urgent care, you can screen new patients for comprehensive care. If you don't want to do that, you can go to one of the specialty clinics and observe procedures. If you don't do that, you can take a nap or get breakfast.

We have some flexibility with our schedules. You are in charge of your own schedule and making sure you get everything done that you need to.

Some people love having all the specialties at UIC, some people hate it. I personally love it. I have never had a case taken from me to go to post-grad, and honestly, most of the cases that do go to post-grad need to be there. You are not qualified to do a full mouth reconstruction or a maxillary molar endo with calcified canals as a dental student. You would have to change your diaper several times if you attempted that. I also like being able to observe specialties that I am interested in. You can talk with residents, attendings, do "externships" at your own school, etc. And, what people probably care least about but is the most important, the patient can get the best treatment from the person that is most qualified to do it.

Faculty to student ratio in clinics is something like 4:1. In clinic there are always 2-3 restorative dentists, 1-2 prosthodontists, 2 periodontists, and 1-2 endodontists. This obviously fluctuates, but it generally holds true. Oral surgery has it's own clinic, but attendings/residents can be reached easily.

NOW, for the part that is more relevant to your immediate future:

First 2 years: They suck just like any other dental school. Long hours spent in SGL/lectures/anatomy lab. Learning how to do wax-ups and the basics of dentistry. You are using a hand-piece your first semester and drilling plastic teeth. Lots of people have reservations about SGL, but it just takes getting used to. Look at it this way: you will either spend 4 hours discussing a case with your classmates, or you will spend 4 hours sitting in a lecture and you are on Facebook the whole time. SGL makes you do a little more work, but makes you study a little less when the exam come around (because you have already spent time trying to understand it). You will still have lectures. Plenty of them. SGL is just a different dynamic of the teaching process at UIC.

I think the pass rate for part 1 has been 100% for the past 2-3 years. If not 100%, it's 99%.

You will have to deal with all the BS and busy work that comes with any dental school. Sometimes I questioned my decision of going to UIC (especially D2 year, but that's more because D2 year just sucks). I would go to UIC again if I had to redo it. Met tons of great people and learned a ton from great faculty. You also live in Chicago, which is an amazing city. Every weekend there is a festival (lollapalooza, air and water show, etc. etc. etc.), sports event (cubs, sox, blackhawks, bulls, bears), or whatever. You wouldn't regret living here, except maybe in February when it's freezing and there's a foot of snow on the ground.

Hope it helps. Good luck

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you so much for your help!!! I will definitely take all this into account, and hopefully can reach a decision soon

This is just a shot in the dark considering this thread is two years old but I am currently in the process of deciding between UIC, Marquette and Iowa. Im concerned about the Illinois budgets having a negative effect on my dental education. Could you please share which school you all ended up choosing and why? And any advice for me going forward?

This is just a shot in the dark considering this thread is two years old but I am currently in the process of deciding between UIC, Marquette and Iowa. Im concerned about the Illinois budgets having a negative effect on my dental education. Could you please share which school you all ended up choosing and why? And any advice for me going forward?
I end up choosing UIC, because I like the area and the opportunity to have every specialty in one place. The budget issue is actually getting better. I believe Illinois finally has a budget this year, and the tuition will be kept at a minimum increase starting this year. SGL is definitely something new you gotta get adjusted to. Faculties and upperclassman are super helpful. We have a peer mentor group from part of ADEA that has upperclassman give reviews/teach the D1/D2s few times a semester. -> Pm me if you have any more questions.

I end up choosing UIC, because I like the area and the opportunity to have every specialty in one place. The budget issue is actually getting better. I believe Illinois finally has a budget this year, and the tuition will be kept at a minimum increase starting this year. SGL is definitely something new you gotta get adjusted to. Faculties and upperclassman are super helpful. We have a peer mentor group from part of ADEA that has upperclassman give reviews/teach the D1/D2s few times a semester. -> Pm me if you have any more questions.
Happy with your choice?