UHCO admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macy2012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see plenty of threads about all the other schools, but does anyone know about uhco? I've gotten contacted for interviews to five schools already but no uhco.. has anyone heard from them?

Members don't see this ad.

You sound about like me. I have already been accepted to two other schools and still have heard nothing from UHCO. I am acutally attending UofH now and talked with my advisor. He said that they have only admitted the top students and should be doing more interviews at the end of Feb/first of March for the rest.

This happened to me last year (accepted to 2 schools, while waiting for my in-state school to say a word). They accepted me really late (late April) so I am VERY VERY lucky (I really think this is the best school to be in). I had all my stuff in early but paperwork was lost (by UH) somewhere along the way and just a whole mix of things. Just keep in contact with them and ask what's going on, because you don't want to wait around not knowing you're "missing" something you mailed months ago. So don't worry, it's not too late to hear something; people drop their seats all the time (just like I had to drop mine from SCO when I heard the news from UH). Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
This happened to me last year (accepted to 2 schools, while waiting for my in-state school to say a word). They accepted me really late (late April) so I am VERY VERY lucky (I really think this is the best school to be in). I had all my stuff in early but paperwork was lost (by UH) somewhere along the way and just a whole mix of things. Just keep in contact with them and ask what's going on, because you don't want to wait around not knowing you're "missing" something you mailed months ago. So don't worry, it's not too late to hear something; people drop their seats all the time (just like I had to drop mine from SCO when I heard the news from UH). Good luck.

definitely stay on top of them. they lose stuff ALL the time. I waited and waited to hear from them only to finally get someone (a human) on the phone to tell me I was "missing" a transcript I had sent in four months earlier!! It ended up being in my file after all.. they had just mis-labeled it. A week later I got an interview. :rolleyes:

Regardless of how scattered their admissions office is.. they're a great school.

hey, can anyone of u please let me know whats a good OAT score, GPA for admission at UHCO?

thanks!

I was just accepted. (YAY!)
My stats were about average, but I've had three years of research experience and a lot of shadowing. I think that helped.
OAT: AA 340 TS 330
GPA: 3.7 (Biochem and Molecular Biology, w/ Chem Minor)

I was just accepted recently as well!

340 ts / 330 aa
3.3 overall gpa (biology & business admin double major)

Congrats to both of you and thanks for all the replies. :)

I just applied to UHCO. I know I should have applied long time ago. My stats are TS 360, AA 340 and my Total G.P.A is about 3.25 and science is about 3.4. What do you think my chances are?

When's your intereview?

you should be good, your stats are competitive. I applied on Jan 7th and heard back about interviews on 28th (so takes about 3 weeks) and interviewed there last Friday, Feb 8th, and was accepted on the spot :), i was pretty happy, since i am out-of-state and UHCO is only 23% out-of-state students, so i didnt have my hopes up plus i didnt finish all of the pre-req but they just waived it

But be sure to keep calling UHCO!! After they told me they had everything and is just waiting for committee review, i waited, didnt hear back for 1 week, called on 28th (a mon.) and they said they were about to send out invitations that thurs, but since i called they just scheduled me right then.

Thanks for the reply! :)

How many pre-reqs were you missing? I am also missing about 3 classes. I was not a science major. How did they waive it for you? Please let me know!

I basically got a letter saying that all of my pre-req have been completed from Dr. Shulman, about 1 week before my interview. But i know i had some pre-req missing, according to Ali Bailey.

Physiology - did not take the lab for it. Since UHCO require a "upper" level and "rigorous" course, i took the one offered by the pharmacy/dental school at my college, so it was a 500 level course, but had no lab. When i emailed Ali about the lab, she told me i had to take Animal physiology lab offered at my college, which i don't have, and i already graduated.

General chemistry 2nd semester - did not take the lab for it. Its confusing at my college how they offer it. Basically Ali told me i was missing 2nd sem. gen chem lab, but at my school i was considered as having completed it (since i needed that lab to graduate w/ a biology degree)

Perhaps they let me by since I did well on the OAT. So i think they consider each applicant's case individually. the last part in the interview day, will be a review of your file w/ Dr. Shulman, so that is likely when the pre-req would come up. If he doesnt say anything about missing pre-req, then don't say anything. That is a good rule to follow :)

do you guys know how full the class is by now?

I called them a month ago and they still haven't reviewed my file and I applied at the end of October :confused:

Yeah... I've pretty much given up on UHCO. They emailed me over a month ago to tell me that my app was complete, and I haven't heard a peep since. From what I've read here and in other threads, it seems like they don't really have their act together? Not sure. I've heard it's a great school though either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello, sorry I don't know how full the class is right now (didn't mention at interview day), but ppl drop seats all the time at UHCO and at different schools, so there is definitely a good chance of getting in! Someone mentioned that he/she got into UHCO late April for the previous yr in this forum, just to put your mind at ease.

Just want to emphasize again, call UHCO!!! Talk to Ali or the personnel for student affairs (press option 3), and they will be able to tell you exactly whats going on with your app. status. Especially if you have already received an email about your file being complete, definitely call them and asked for updates on your app. You could also ask when is the committee meeting next to decide which applicants to invite for interview. So definitely give them a call :)

Hey guys, I just wanted to let everyone know that some more interview invites were e-mailed today. I got an invite and had to take the later one, although I hope it doesn't affect my chances of getting in! The e-mail said there was a 10 person max RSVP for each date. So I just wanted people to be on the look out and not give up any hope yet. I finished my applications REALLY late (2/13), so there's still hope guys!

Also, for those that got in, how does the day go? And how was the interview?

Thanks!! :)

Hey Anniee,

Congrats! I wish u all the best!!! :)

I applied pretty late too...15th Feb. what are ur stats? (if u dont mind sharing) thanks alot!

I haven't received any email yet. I know there was a committee meeting held yesterday. Do you think it would be OK if I called Ali Bailey to find out the status of my application? I don't wanna annoy her! :'(

the interview day is VERY relaxed, so don't worry at all.
be sure to eat a good breakfast! because you will have the school presentation, financial aid presentation, and tour of the school, which is from 9-12ish, before you have lunch. and there is no essay to write

So during lunch you will eat with a bunch of students and faculty (these will be the persons who will be interviewing you), but you don't know who until end of the lunch. You are interviewed by 1 faculty and 1 student. so as the faculty comes in for lunch, they are handed a folder which decides who they are going to interview. you should chat up with the faculty and students around where you sit, they might be your interviewer! (it was in my case) Everyone was really warm and welcoming, as you will see, so theres nothing to worry about:) Its a good chance to ask the students any questions you have too, they'll tell you like it is.

Then the interview, about 30 mins, closed file. you go to the faculty's office to be interviewed, SUPER relaxed. I got asked about my background (where i am from, and about me) how I got interested in optometry, why optometry, difference b/w ophthalmologist, optometirst, opticians, what i do for fun, most difficult challenge I faced and how i over came it, and this very interesting question - "How would you remain competitive amongst other practices in your area once you open up your own practice". that kinda threw me off a bit, but i just talked about my qualities and strengths on that one. Then they ask if you have any questions, so ask away!

next you wait in the admissions office to have an exit interview with Dr. Shulman. it is not an interview, more like a chance to ask him any questions you have left, for him to get to know you a lil more and vice versa. He will let you know if you are accepted on the spot here + any scholarships.

As you are waiting in the office, you will see your interviewers comes in and hand a folder to Ali, your interview score report...haha. I just found that interesting. So Dr. Shulman also looks at that at the exit interview, i guess to determine if he can offer you an acceptance on the spot.

tho i gotta warn you, according to Ali while waiting in the office, they have this one faculty member that likes to throw random question at you, nothing related to optometry, like why is the toilet seat round. Ali said she always hopes that the interviewer gets someone not too timid, but since its a random pairing b/w interviewer and interviewee, she never knows. i didnt get this interviewer...thankfully:).

Wow thanks for the great response msjang! I've never done any type of interviews yet so I'm nervous, but your insight will definitely help! I hope that March 21st isn't too late and that I don't get the guy with the toilet question! :) I need to do some interviewing practicing. What did you wear by the way?

Do you think it is wise to bring a guest? Did you see many people with guests or should I tell my boyfriend to stay at the hotel (because he's driving me)? Haha, as you can tell I'm a huge noob when it comes to this! I'm just so excited that they offered me an interview!

I really hope that I get accepted on the spot like you, that must feel great! I hear Dr. Shulman is a really nice guy. How long was your 'interview' with him?

Sorry about all the questions! I'm just really nervous and excited! :oops:

Oh btw, my gpa is ~3.7 and I made a 370/380 on the OAT for those who were wondering.

I've heard various things from various people that the office is really backlogged and that they lost a staff member which is why they've been slow to interview. I am not 100% sure though. And just like msjang said several people drop so don't lose hope!

Thanks msjang!! :thumbup:

I wore a black suit with a dressy undershirt under the top piece. You can bring your bf as a guest if you want, during my interview day, a girl had her parents along, tho she was the only one. If you feel that you will be more nervous with someone you know tagging along (I do), then you can have your bf stay at the hotel. Yeah, Dr. Shulman is a really nice guy, very down to earth and cheerful, he is one doing the school presentation, so he'll make ya feel right at home. I would say my interview with him was 8-10 mins max, very relaxed.

You can check out some of the other ppl's feedback interviews when they were at Houston, its under 'databases' at the top of this website...maybe u already did :laugh:

Thanks a bunch msjang for all the information, the process was extremely laid back and exactly as you said it was!

So here's my update: After our personal interviews we waited in the room where we ate and Dr. Shulman came in and gave everyone an envelope. After that he said that we were all accepted! So that was approx 11 of us accepted on the dot, with no exit interview. He said that they are rounding the corner and the class should be full soon. But according to a friend of mine she said the class was 65 so far, adding us would make it about 75? I didn't get any information about when they're going to conduct any more interviews though for ya'll who are waiting. I also noticed that the acceptance letter was dated 3/18 and I interviewed 3/21 so I'm not sure if he had already planned to accept everyone, or that they just print them in advance.

Oh yeah he said this year has been the most competitive w/ an average GPA of 3.5. I hope to see ya'll there! :)

Hey Annie Congratulations on getting in!!!!

You must be so happy! hey, I am supposed to be interviewed on this Wednesday. I am really nervous and excited. I think my interview is going to be with Dr. Shulman and not with the faculty member because they are not conducting anymore interviews which is making me extremely nervous. :(

What questions were you asked?

Once again, congratulationssss!!!! :)

Hey Annie Congratulations on getting in!!!!

You must be so happy! hey, I am supposed to be interviewed on this Wednesday. I am really nervous and excited. I think my interview is going to be with Dr. Shulman and not with the faculty member because they are not conducting anymore interviews which is making me extremely nervous. :(

What questions were you asked?

Once again, congratulationssss!!!! :)

Congrats to you somaria! The interview will be no sweat, I promise! I am excited!!! I can't wait to get it all started with! The deposit hurts though! :laugh:

So the facutlty member and student have these folders that has like a general list of questions I think that they're supposed to go over and each question looked like it had 4 ratings on how well you answered.

Here's the questions that I can remember:
1) What was an obstacle in your life and how did you overcome it?
2) What are your favorite and least favorite subjects?
3) If you had a business in an area that was dense with ODs, how would you make yourself stand out?
4) What are 2 important current events affecting the U.S.?
5) What will you do to handle the workload of optometry schol?
6) What do you think about corporate versus private optometry?
7) How do you handle stress? Do you get stressed out easily?

That's all I can remember!! I hope this is useful to you, and seriously, just like everyone says, it's really relaxed and they make you feel very welcome.

Oh, I do have to say though that the area around UHCO is very ghetto. Even Dr. Shulman didn't recommend it as a place to live.

GOOD LUCK! :) :)

Thanks Anniee for replying back. Annie & msjang u two were really helpful. :) Well, I interviewed yesterday with Dr. Shulman and It went really great. I got a call from him this morning to let me know that I GOT IN....Yayyy!!!!!!! I am sooo excited!!!!

I applied really very late :( He said they are not interviewing anymore but because my stats were among one of his top students, he chose to interview me. I am sooo happpy! :)

I was browsing the web and remembered SDN being alive and kicking when I was in undergrad about 4 years ago, so I thought I'd drop by. I'm a first year at UHCO and thought I'd see what was going on.

If yall have any specific questions, I'll try and answer em :) I'm Noah btw.

And yes, the interviews are very relaxed. We see yall walking through the halls every Friday.