uggh...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

io8ihe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got my mcat score back today... 19M (I'm heartbroken.. I was scoring 23-26 in practices)
I'm not going to retake in January (too much going on with school this my senior year)
3.2 GPA (BYU grad)
should I apply for next year or is it even worth it? I would love to go to OCPM or Scholl, but am reluctant about NY, Barry, Temple or Cali
Retake next July or something???

Members don't see this ad.

Don't lose hope
call the schools and ask them about your chances, admissions office are usually pretty nice :)

Definetly try! You have nothing to lose by not trying! DMU's stats for last year were 3.39 gpa and 23 MCAT so take into consideration that that was the average so there is some wiggle room in there. I say GO FOR IT!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my mcat score back today... 19M (I'm heartbroken.. I was scoring 23-26 in practices)
I'm not going to retake in January (too much going on with school this my senior year)
3.2 GPA (BYU grad)
should I apply for next year or is it even worth it? I would love to go to OCPM or Scholl, but am reluctant about NY, Barry, Temple or Cali
Retake next July or something???

by the way, MCAT is now offered 22 times a year. why are you so fixed on january or july? You could take it in march and still be able to start pod school next fall compared to wasting 1 yr by taking the exam in july.

Plus as Dawgtired said, 23 in DMU was average. Assuming DMU has 100 seats that means 50 people got below 23 and 50 people got above 23. That means you have a good chance. dont give up hope and apply ASAP as the early u apply the better it is.

I don't really think OCPM is out of the question. If they accepted 120 or so new students this year, I doubt they rejected very many people.

Scholl may be a bit iffy with your stats, but I'd just apply to the schools you're interested in. You can always send new MCATs later. If you were scoring mid 20s on AAMC practice tests, I'd just retake because you probably had a very bad outing.

For DMU you have to have atleast 3.0 science and a 20 MCAT to be considered. However, if you get a higher MCAT score you could send it in and they would review you app. again.:luck:

as a first year at Azpod, I've met several students who are taking the masters of biomedical science program. its a 1 year program that offers many similar classes to what you will have in your classroom years of pod school/med school. i bet that these guys will be very well prepared to do well in their first 2 years of pod school, plus their chances of acceptance should be higher as a result of going through the masters program. if you apply and don't get in, maybe you can do this as a backup plan to get in the next year, plus be better prepared.

as a first year at Azpod, I've met several students who are taking the masters of biomedical science program. its a 1 year program that offers many similar classes to what you will have in your classroom years of pod school/med school. i bet that these guys will be very well prepared to do well in their first 2 years of pod school, plus their chances of acceptance should be higher as a result of going through the masters program. if you apply and don't get in, maybe you can do this as a backup plan to get in the next year, plus be better prepared.
The BMS/SMP programs are generally better for people with low MCAT + high GPA. We have biomedical sciences MS here too, and most of the people you see getting into good med schools upon completion are people with stats like 29/3.1. They didn't work as hard as they could've in undergrad but are smart people who up their level of effort in grad school and get almost a 4.0 in the BMS.

For the low MCAT/ high GPA people, I don't really know what to say. A BMS program is more advanced classes, and I'm not sure you'd really do any better on MCAT. Your gpa and preparation for med school classes would improve, but the schools already know you can get good grades. Sure, you'd know histo, biochem and physio a bit better on the MCAT retake, but those aren't even required classes when you look at MCAT topics. During the grad program, you'd probably also be forgotting some basic physics and chem.

I guess this would be the way to go:
high gpa + low mcat... take MCAT prep classes, more practice tests, and really study
low gpa + high mcat... take a SMP program and try to get a 4.0 or close

Try looking up an older sticky on SMP programs in the pre-allo or re-applicants fourm. It's very good and comprehensive. I'd search it, but I'm too lazy... the guy who posted it has a picture of an asian kid as his avatar.

edit to add:
Here it is... I'm too nice :p http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106&highlight=smp+program+boston+barry