UF v Cornell v Edinburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehowell007

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been accepted to Cornell and the University of Florida (the latter w/ a 1 year scholarship), and I have an upcoming interview w/ Edinburgh in Feb. I'm really struggling to decide between these schools - I know most people say to pick the cheapest option, but I specifically want to focus in equine surgery, so I have to factor in other things like equine facilities/caseloads, clinical focuses, etc. I'd be out of state for all of these as well, so there isn't as much variation in cost anyway. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a second year at UFCVM going on clinics this summer if you have any specific questions about the program. As someone starting to accrue the debt and capitalizing, compounding interest (schools never really warn you about that part huh?) go to the cheapest school. You will get a good education no matter where you go, every school has its pros and cons, and I’ve been told your vet school does not impact your residency chances. Also consider cost of living - my undergrad classmate went to Cornell and the cost of living in NY is high.

I am a second year at UFCVM going on clinics this summer if you have any specific questions about the program. As someone starting to accrue the debt and capitalizing, compounding interest (schools never really warn you about that part huh?) go to the cheapest school. You will get a good education no matter where you go, every school has its pros and cons, and I’ve been told your vet school does not impact your residency chances. Also consider cost of living - my undergrad classmate went to Cornell and the cost of living in NY is high.
Thank you for your reply! Do you find the professors there helpful? I am honestly leaning more towards UF, but my parents are leaning more another way and are helping with finances, so I have to take their thoughts into account. I appreciate knowing vet school doesn't impact residencies, as that has been one of my primary concerns.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply! Do you find the professors there helpful? I am honestly leaning more towards UF, but my parents are leaning more another way and are helping with finances, so I have to take their thoughts into account. I appreciate knowing vet school doesn't impact residencies, as that has been one of my primary concerns.
So far I have really liked a majority of my professors. They really care about you being prepared for real life practice, and they are super kind if you have stuff going on or need to ask them questions one on one.

Parents are often blinded by brand names. Ask any recent UF and Cornell grad what kind of surgery experience each got prior to graduation. I can almost guarantee you will get very different answers.
(Note: I know that UF and its shelter med program offer ample opportunities for students to get spay/neuter experience. Not sure what options for equine surgery would be, though.)

I know many people in the Cornell program who state it’s not all it’s cracked up to be and many chose it bc it was their in state program. I’ve heard more positive things about the UF program from students who are enthusiastic to talk about their experiences, which I think says a lot more than just a “more prestigious name”

Parents are often blinded by brand names. Ask any recent UF and Cornell grad what kind of surgery experience each got prior to graduation. I can almost guarantee you will get very different answers.
(Note: I know that UF and its shelter med program offer ample opportunities for students to get spay/neuter experience. Not sure what options for equine surgery would be, though.)
My parents are definitely excited by the prospect of me going to a big name school lol. I’m hoping that the preview days for each school will give me more insight into their equine surgery opportunities since I haven’t been able to talk to any equine grads yet!

I know many people in the Cornell program who state it’s not all it’s cracked up to be and many chose it bc it was their in state program. I’ve heard more positive things about the UF program from students who are enthusiastic to talk about their experiences, which I think says a lot more than just a “more prestigious name”
I’ve also heard this - I have a friend who goes to Cornell for undergrad and she’s insanely stressed 24/7, while the UF people I know seem to be able to balance the workload more easily. Hoping the preview days in a couple weeks will give me more insight into this!