UERM College of Medicine VS FEU-NRMF Institute of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeper30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am about to finish my undergrad and plan to enter a medicine. I am torn between UERM and FEU-NRMF. I understand that UERM College of Medicine and FEU-NRMF Institute of Medicine have always been said to be equal in terms of performance. However, for those who are qualified for both and plan to enter in either, it is still a big dilemma for them on which to choose.

I am starting this thread to share an UPDATED (as of January 2010) and DETAILED comparison of both medical schools, in terms of facilities, instructors, methods of instruction, curricula, tuition and other fees, affiliations, academic reputations, internship training, hospital facilities/training/reputations, type of environment, peers, etc.

I invite everyone who are and may be knowledgeable about either schools to participate in the comparison and discussion. Please be detailed and frank as possible, post pictures even if necessary. But please make sure that these are reliable facts, so as not to stir up confusion on the readers. As much as possible, let's avoid violent clashes and clamors, especially those leading to trash talking and name-calling. Thank you!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, depends on where you're coming from. Are you from the Philippines or from the States? I'll give you my take about FEU. UERM I can't comment on. You can take it however you want.

The facilities are adequate. Adequate I mean don't expect to walk in with brightly colored tiles or a cutting edge facility (you know what I mean). The classrooms are okay I guess. The school is located in Quezon City (Fairview) and to be honest it's not that bad of a location compared to the other schools. There is a mall nearby (SM Fairview) about 5-10 minutes away but compared to the other Philippine malls it's not that great but you should be able to get what you need there. There is a Mcdonalds, Starbucks, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Jollibee nearby so be ready to order that stuff if you go. Otherwise there's a lot of places that actually can deliver. I don't recommend any of the gyms right NEAR the school but there is Fitness First at SM Fairview which can be a bit pricey depending on your budget (if you have one).

The school is about five floors and the undergraduate nursing, med tech, physical therapy students attend there as well. There is a small cafeteria where you can grab a snack btw classes. There is one decently sized lecture hall (fits about 100-125 students maybe?) and most of the other classrooms are regularly sized. The chairs I honestly think are from the 1960s or the 70s (wooden) and a bit uncomfortable after a while. Kind of embarrasing if you ask me. Most if not all the classrooms are air conditioned but once you walk outside to the corridors expect it not to be. The library to me is a joke (can't bring your own books in) but they did construct a new study area where you will be able to study. Then again it's only open until 6 PM everyday and you usually get out of class at around 5 so there's not many places to study unless you go outside of Fairview a little.

Registration is the biggest pain in the ass and to get your letter of acceptance you have to go here, then here, then there, then come back here...feels like a big rat chase or you're on that show "Amazing Race".
Classes usually go from 7 AM - 5 or 6 PM Monday to Friday and you might have a Saturday class. There's always a lunch break from 12 PM - 1 PM unless you have a "shifting" exam which is a unit test that covers about 3 or 4 chapters.

All the classes are usually taught in English but can be trying sometimes because they do add some tagalog along with it. For example, when they're explaining a concept the general idea will be said in English, but reinforced in Tagalog and most of the jokes are in Tagalog. If you're from the States like I mentioned earlier be prepared to have classmates that can seem to be a little less mature (ages usually range around 18-21) but they are very nice and friendly if you reach out to them or just meet them halfway. The faculty is definitely the the best asset of the school along with the students. As expected in another country there are certain customs/culture that you should get used to otherwise you'll be miserable. If you're a foreigner you'll definitely be noticed but not in a bad way or anything just that almost every teacher will ask so cuz if not they'll speak more in tagalog so it's just for courtesy. There's about 3-4 foreigners at FEU for each batch (year). Starting the year there may be as many as 10-15 or maybe even twenty but after a semester most likely a number of them will drop out and leave or transfer due to reasons like missing home, hard time adjusting, failure, that kind of stuff.

Your classmates will be rather competitive and if you're not used to the style of teaching and testing you'll have to adjust to it quickly as most of you're classmates will have an easier time to adjust to medical school or they will know most of the topics due to them having degrees in Nursing, Med Tech, etc. Again like I said tho, they will be nice and helpful but just be at the top of your game.

FEU itself is a great school. If you go to FEU and make it, then no doubt you will be trained well and also taught how to work hard. Although, if you're a foreigner you should go to a school that will be able to accommodate to your needs and that is the reason why I would advise you to maybe look somewhere else.

Most of the questions are not questions you'll see on your board exams, you'll have to get used to different types of modified questions. (That one you could figure out though). You will have to take your Step 1 after you graduate. That means you can literally lose up to 2 years after the match and also have to review most of the basic stuff from what you learned from your first two years and the style of step 1 questions.

To reiterate, it's not a bad school at all but I hope that you'll be able to weigh your options and make sure you ask yourself if this or that school is the school that you want to go to.

First, depends on where you're coming from. Are you from the Philippines or from the States? I'll give you my take about FEU. UERM I can't comment on. You can take it however you want.

The facilities are adequate. Adequate I mean don't expect to walk in with brightly colored tiles or a cutting edge facility (you know what I mean). The classrooms are okay I guess. The school is located in Quezon City (Fairview) and to be honest it's not that bad of a location compared to the other schools. There is a mall nearby (SM Fairview) about 5-10 minutes away but compared to the other Philippine malls it's not that great but you should be able to get what you need there. There is a Mcdonalds, Starbucks, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Jollibee nearby so be ready to order that stuff if you go. Otherwise there's a lot of places that actually can deliver. I don't recommend any of the gyms right NEAR the school but there is Fitness First at SM Fairview which can be a bit pricey depending on your budget (if you have one).

The school is about five floors and the undergraduate nursing, med tech, physical therapy students attend there as well. There is a small cafeteria where you can grab a snack btw classes. There is one decently sized lecture hall (fits about 100-125 students maybe?) and most of the other classrooms are regularly sized. The chairs I honestly think are from the 1960s or the 70s (wooden) and a bit uncomfortable after a while. Kind of embarrasing if you ask me. Most if not all the classrooms are air conditioned but once you walk outside to the corridors expect it not to be. The library to me is a joke (can't bring your own books in) but they did construct a new study area where you will be able to study. Then again it's only open until 6 PM everyday and you usually get out of class at around 5 so there's not many places to study unless you go outside of Fairview a little.

Registration is the biggest pain in the ass and to get your letter of acceptance you have to go here, then here, then there, then come back here...feels like a big rat chase or you're on that show "Amazing Race".
Classes usually go from 7 AM - 5 or 6 PM Monday to Friday and you might have a Saturday class. There's always a lunch break from 12 PM - 1 PM unless you have a "shifting" exam which is a unit test that covers about 3 or 4 chapters.

All the classes are usually taught in English but can be trying sometimes because they do add some tagalog along with it. For example, when they're explaining a concept the general idea will be said in English, but reinforced in Tagalog and most of the jokes are in Tagalog. If you're from the States like I mentioned earlier be prepared to have classmates that can seem to be a little less mature (ages usually range around 18-21) but they are very nice and friendly if you reach out to them or just meet them halfway. The faculty is definitely the the best asset of the school along with the students. As expected in another country there are certain customs/culture that you should get used to otherwise you'll be miserable. If you're a foreigner you'll definitely be noticed but not in a bad way or anything just that almost every teacher will ask so cuz if not they'll speak more in tagalog so it's just for courtesy. There's about 3-4 foreigners at FEU for each batch (year). Starting the year there may be as many as 10-15 or maybe even twenty but after a semester most likely a number of them will drop out and leave or transfer due to reasons like missing home, hard time adjusting, failure, that kind of stuff.

Your classmates will be rather competitive and if you're not used to the style of teaching and testing you'll have to adjust to it quickly as most of you're classmates will have an easier time to adjust to medical school or they will know most of the topics due to them having degrees in Nursing, Med Tech, etc. Again like I said tho, they will be nice and helpful but just be at the top of your game.

FEU itself is a great school. If you go to FEU and make it, then no doubt you will be trained well and also taught how to work hard. Although, if you're a foreigner you should go to a school that will be able to accommodate to your needs and that is the reason why I would advise you to maybe look somewhere else.

Most of the questions are not questions you'll see on your board exams, you'll have to get used to different types of modified questions. (That one you could figure out though). You will have to take your Step 1 after you graduate. That means you can literally lose up to 2 years after the match and also have to review most of the basic stuff from what you learned from your first two years and the style of step 1 questions.

To reiterate, it's not a bad school at all but I hope that you'll be able to weigh your options and make sure you ask yourself if this or that school is the school that you want to go to.

Thank you for the reply. I am a Filipino resident. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, well some of it doesn't pertain to you...but for the most part if you choose FEU then you won't make a mistake then. =)

They are about equal but if you are a local Filipino resident, FEU might be a better fit. I only recommend UERM for foreign grads who are interested in US rotations in clerkship.

They are about equal but if you are a local Filipino resident, FEU might be a better fit. I only recommend UERM for foreign grads who are interested in US rotations in clerkship.

my thoughts as well...

Read the post I made Info about UE, although since you are a filipino resident, UE will definitely turn you into a good doctor. The foreign advantage isnt as good with UE anymore, currently, but I dont think that pertains to you. Judging from what RKNY wrote, FEU seems like a good choice though.

Just dont join Fitness First, they scam your Credit card lol...

The only reason why I rank FEU higher than UERM for local Filipinos is due to the importance of the Philippine Boards for Filipinos. FEU tends to get higher board passing rates in the past 2 decades. Local Boards does not mean anything to those coming from overseas.

I like FEU when they were still in Manila, who ever thought of transferring the campus in a very far flung place may not be thinking enough, UERM is one of the respected schools in Manila, if you are a local student what matters most is the passing rate of the school in the local board exams rather than the number of topnotchers.
Check the faculty competence also, for the basic medical sciences (first two years of med school), know how many have additional PhD or masteral degrees aside from the exisitng MD degree, postgrad studies among faculty members has been one of the problems in FEU

I highly recommend FEU. I went to my residency training in the US and 3 of my consultants are from this school. One of my co-residents graduated from this school too, all have excellent medical knowledge and skills. At work, I have 5 fellow MDs 3 from FEU, 1 from UST and 1 from UP. I usually consult my colleagues from this school quite frequently than the MDs from other Phil schools. I think the number I mentioned here and the ability of the MDs from FEU speak for this school.

are there any schools that accept irregulars/students starting in october ?

Fatima (OLFU COM) accepts foreign students for a Sept. start date. Posting here to inform (or remind) everyone, that many of the professors, including much of the Biochemistry departments are shared by both Fatima and FEU. NRMF is no doubt a great school, but for those foreigners coming into PI for school, bear in mind that there is a certain amount of "empty fluff" that goes behind schools' reputations here, the sharing of faculty speaks for this. This is not just for these two schools, but for others as well.. I'll also say that the professors are Excellent teachers.. they probably just need an extra income. Anyways, UE is also good, and FEU has a good track record for the Philippine boards.. but as far as freedom and support to study for MLE step 1 goes, nothing beats Fatima's accommodations (schedule wise) by the administration. The step scores of my upperclassmen support this.

PS: and by upperclassmen, I mean new 3rd years.