UCSI (Malaysia) MD degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JCYL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was introduced to this school called UCSI (not RCSI in Ireland) in Malaysia by my friend.

They accept people out of high school and yet the degree conferred is Doctor of Medicine (MD) instead of MBBS.:confused:

http://www.ucsi.edu.my/prog_med_md.asp

I thought the common title in Malaysia is MBBS...maybe I'm mistaken. I think this is another proof that MD is a professional title rather than a doctorate.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea. Its not even accepted or accredited by most countries. IF you plan to practice OUT of malaysia, dont even apply. If however you're a malaysian, then by all means...

If a medical school accepts students WITHOUT a bachelor's or a graduate degree...then that is setting the tone of the kind of medical school it is. Sub par! :thumbdown:

I'd pick a Philippine medical school than one in Malaysia.

haha, it's a relatively new skol, abt 3 years old, so u can roughly know the standard
UCSI = RCSI + UCSF
Can u imagine dat?

It's nt necessary to get medskol admission wif a bachelor's degree, it depends on wat system a country is followin, i'm sure u konw abt this right.

Bad cars of Malaysians? Try nt to insult others in this forum, k?
It doesn't sound professional, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont know, i dont got to a foreign medical school..

If a medical school accepts students WITHOUT a bachelor's or a graduate degree...then that is setting the tone of the kind of medical school it is. Sub par! :thumbdown:

No no and no! Nothing can be further from the truth. You were speaking in the context of North America. Outside of it, high school students entering med schools directly is THE norm. This site must be an American site. When you say a school is foreign, it's only foreign from your perspective. Not all med schools in the US are Harvard or Johns Hopkins material; most are just run-of-the-mill kind of schools like any other med schools in the world. Sometimes Americans need to open their eyes and expand their horizon.

No no no! No one should go to schools such as this malaysian school. Its not recognized by the United States, Canada etc. Its a medical school mill. Its sub par. Accepting students with no bachelor's degree? Can I say lowering standards? I wouldnt trust a physician who graduated from this school. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

If you had to go to medical school in Asia, I would at least try getting into Philippine schools (which are world renown for their physicians). There are thousands of Filipino docs here in the US; practicing in primary care and some in surgery/derm/dentistry/podiatry/ etc. Rarely have I heard of Malaysian physicians here. When it comes to Asian physicians, its usually: Indian, Filipinos and Chinese.

No no no! No one should go to schools such as this malaysian school. Its not recognized by the United States, Canada etc. Its a medical school mill. Its sub par. Accepting students with no bachelor's degree? Can I say lowering standards? I wouldnt trust a physician who graduated from this school. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

If you had to go to medical school in Asia, I would at least try getting into Philippine schools (which are world renown for their physicians). There are thousands of Filipino docs here in the US; practicing in primary care and some in surgery/derm/dentistry/podiatry/ etc. Rarely have I heard of Malaysian physicians here. When it comes to Asian physicians, its usually: Indian, Filipinos and Chinese.

Most medical programs fall into one of two categories
1. the undergraduate medical program which one can enter straight out of high school. The medical program is generally 5-6 years long. Accepting students out of high school does not imply lower standards, places like Oxford and Cambridge in the UK, NUS in Singapore and several schools outside of North America do it all the time.

2. the graduate entry medical program which is seen in countries like the US, Canada, the Philippines and which is also become common in Australia and Europe. The program is generally 4 years in length.

Just because you don't see a lot of Malaysian doctors in the states (there are of course many Malaysian docs in the US, remember that Malaysia is a multi-ethnic society so you might have a Malaysian doctor with an Indian, Chinese or Malay surname) doesn't mean that they are necessarily less qualified than Filipino doctors (I graduated from a Filipino med school by the way), it might mean that they'd rather stay in their country or that they prefer to go to the UK or some other country with a similar medical system.

Keep an open mind and try to do some research before you post.

We all know that but this school doesn't even have a license to practice in any of these United States. Its a sub par school. And thats the point.

Ya I know about Malaysians being multi-ethnic :) btw..Im ethnically Malay.:rolleyes:

Thats nice. Good for you, you're a Phil Grad. So where are you doing your residency/practice now?

We all know that but this school doesn't even have a license to practice in any of these United States. Its a sub par school. And thats the point.

Ya I know about Malaysians being multi-ethnic :) btw..Im ethnically Malay.:rolleyes:

Thats nice. Good for you, you're a Phil Grad. So where are you doing your residency/practice now?

Well good for you, so you should know why there're more Filipino doctors in the US than Malaysian doctors, especially since you're probably an immigrant.

All the best to you

P.S. The US does not issue licenses to medical schools. The LCME accredits medical schools in North America (including Hawaii) and Puerto Rico.

Thanks!

You didnt answer my question tho. So where are you doing your residency/practice? Are you in the PI or in the 'states?

Secondly, Im not Malaysian. Im Filipino of Malay ethnic background. :) You should know that 'Filipino' is a nationality, not an ethnicity. Filipinos are ethnic Malays; as with the ethnic Malays of Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia. Hence the "Malay Archipelago".

Thanks!

You didnt answer my question tho. So where are you doing your residency/practice? Are you in the PI or in the 'states?

Secondly, Im not Malaysian. Im Filipino of Malay ethnic background. :) You should know that 'Filipino' is a nationality, not an ethnicity. Filipinos are ethnic Malays; as with the ethnic Malays of Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia. Hence the "Malay Archipelago".

It's true that "some" Filipinos are ethnic Malays. As you've said Filipino is a nationality not an ethnicity so it is wrong for you to say "Filipinos are ethnic Malays" as we have Chinese-Filipinos, Spanish-Filipinos etc. You should know this.

Yup, I deliberately avoided your question. I haven't been in the PI for a while and I'd rather not say what residency or what state I'm residing in at the moment.