UCSF vs. UCLA/CDU: Seeking Advice for a Critical Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vistian

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you explain what the "strings attached" for CDU/DGSOM is? I have very little familiarity with CDU/DGSOM, but if your degree says UCLA and you're getting a full tuition paid for it, that's hard to turn down. Still, aren't UC schools relatively cheap for IS?

Another thing I'd add is that it seems like the location is a pro and a con for both. When that happens (which obviously is very common), it often comes down to personal values and people here won't be able to add much there. So I think it boils down to the prestige of UCSF over the cost of UCLA/CDU.

Can you explain what the "strings attached" for CDU/DGSOM is?
I mean that the UCSF MD program is a pure basic MD program that is not special or geared towards any demographic and any way. Therefore, no one could ever come back and say to me, "Well, you got into this program because it's such and such ..."

I'm not sure if you, yourself, are minority, but things like that hold a heavy weight over some of us, including myself.

Additionally, both UCLA and CDU would have their seals on my degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean that the UCSF MD program is a pure basic MD program that is not special or geared towards any demographic and any way. Therefore, no one could ever come back and say to me, "Well, you got into this program because it's such and such ..."

I'm not sure if you, yourself, are minority, but things like that hold a heavy weight over some of us, including myself.

I see, so it's more of perception and not actual strings attached like a promise to work in underserved areas or certain specialties.

Yeah, some people are gonna tell you that the school doesn't matter especially between these two (even with UCLA/CDU), but I imagine they don't have the experience or maybe future goals that you do. If it makes you feel better, some people will give up UCLA full tuition for UCSF. In-state tuition is like 40k a year I believe. If you think it'd bother you and you have the means to pay I'd say go for it. Looking at your posts, you worked as a software engineer for nearly 2 decades? You probably saved a ton, and if 160k isn't a problem and prestige/no negative perception is a concern, you should go for what makes you happy.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean..If you picked UCSF you might be helping another fellow URM non-trad get off the waitlist at UCLA/CDU 😆

Reactions: 1 user
What is the cost difference ?
Still waiting on the aid offer to come in for UCSF, but I reckon it will be lower since UCSF doesn't do merit-based aid, as far as I can tell.

Nobody would know unless you specifically tell them after you graduate that you were part of the Drew program at UCLA. It is a nice and unique experience to be part of a cohort and go through school together.

Full tuition is hard to turn down too if you are going to have to pay close to full price at UCSF.

Reactions: 2 users
Go to the cheaper school!

Reactions: 1 users
Achieving the absolute best in my career is of the utmost importance to me. I have worked extremely hard, working full-time while taking Post-Bacc courses (4.0) and scoring very high on the MCAT (92 - 96th percentile … trying not to out myself with specifics). I'm particularly interested in pursuing top residencies in either urology or orthopedic surgery.
If you want to match into a surgical subspecialty at a top residency program, go to UCSF. Their urology and ortho departments are both highly regarded and come application time having mentors who can go to bat for you is particularly important in these fields. You'll also have access to faculty who are high-octane researchers and can get you published, which is more valued in surgical subspecialties.

Scoring in the 96th percentile doesn't guarantee success in medical school. I scored higher than you on the MCAT but found STEP 1/2 very challenging. In my opinion, having the ability to almost ensure everything else, such as connections, research productivity, and strong mentors as long as you work hard is more valuable than saving money, especially given your career goals. Just my 2 cents since SDN advice tends to prioritize finances above all. Keep in mind most users on this forum have different goals than you; not everyone wants to be the absolute best in their career and I'd argue most people on this forum prioritize lifestyle/money.

If you want to match into a surgical subspecialty at a top residency program, go to UCSF. Their urology and ortho departments are both highly regarded and come application time having mentors who can go to bat for you is particularly important in these fields. You'll also have access to faculty who are high-octane researchers and can get you published, which is more valued in surgical subspecialties.

Scoring in the 96th percentile doesn't guarantee success in medical school. I scored higher than you on the MCAT but found STEP 1/2 very challenging. In my opinion, having the ability to almost ensure everything else, such as connections, research productivity, and strong mentors as long as you work hard is more valuable than saving money, especially given your career goals. Just my 2 cents since SDN advice tends to prioritize finances above all. Keep in mind most users on this forum have different goals than you; not everyone wants to be the absolute best in their career and I'd argue most people on this forum prioritize lifestyle/money.
I understand what you mean, and in no way am I going to sleep on STEP 1/2. I bring up my stats in this context only to demonstrate the effort I have and am committed to continuing to put in to be the best that I can be.

Thank you for your input. I do see that the majority of the advice I am getting is geared toward saving money and comfort, which are rational criteria. My aspirations are a bit different, however, and I truly want to see how far I can reach in my career if I am willing to do the necessary work.

I would also vote UCSF. Many of the current students and other accepted students I talked to at SLW shared that UCSF, despite not having merit aid, was very generous and was their best financial offer compared to other schools. Finances aside, UCSF seems to have the edge in terms of the career desires and family/support priorities you shared.

This will be the case regardless of whether or not you enter a straight MD program or the MEP (CDU/UCLA).

With that being said, if your goal is to excel to the highest possible extent, I would do so from the environment you are most comfortable in. In this case, that sounds like UCSF.