UCSF vs. STANFORD (the bay area battle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

opolis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! So, I wanted to get people's opinions on UCSF vs. Stanford for med schools. Aside from rankings, which would you hypothetically pick? or if someone has had the good fortune of making this decision what influenced it? Would love to hear from prospectives, current students, and alums. thanks in advance and :luck: to everyone for the application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at both and UCSF had a better feel to it for me. It could have been because Palo Alto seemed really boring compared to SF (which isn't a problem for everyone). Students at UCSF also seemed happier. Then again, I had some virus during the Stanford interview and was vomiting every 30 minutes for the last half of it, so that might have discolored the experience for me. : /

People ask me this question a lot on admission days, and my typical answer is really "it depends more on you". Despite being in the general Bay Area, and being similar "on paper"...Stanford and UCSF are pretty different places. I didn't interview at UCSF, but I have friends that go there. At the end of the day, they're both great schools, great match lists, they'll get you to where you want to go. It's more or less finding the "fit" that's right for you. A quick "facts" breakdown:

Stanford
- Suburban, Palo Alto, sort of sleepy/boring (35-40 minute drive to city)
- 86 medical students (40% California Residents)
- Smaller Research Enterprise ($265 million), higher per capita lab funding
- Private University
- Low Debt: $86,000
- Access to Business School, Law School, Engineering School, Undergrad
- Scholarly Concentrations
- P/F (Pre-Clinical), P/F/Honors (Clerkship), No Ranking, No AOA
- Easier to Match at Stanford (Residency Reputation: Great clinical training, laid-back)

UCSF
- Urban, San Francisco, lots of fun
- 149 medical students (80% California Residents)
- Larger Research Enterprise ($471 million), lower per capita lab funding
- Public University
- Low Debt: $101,00
- Stand Alone Med School (Med, Pharm, PhD, and Dental Programs)
- P/F (Pre-Clinical), P/F/Honors (Clerkships), Clerkship Ranking, AOA
- Easier to Match at UCSF (Residency Reputation: Great clinical training, intense)

Outside of the most basic reality that Stanford is 86 students and UCSF is around 150 (this is a major social environment distinction), there are really two main distinctions between UCSF and Stanford. Sorry if this is skewed pro-Stanford.

(1) Location- Do you want to live in an urban setting or a suburban setting? Personally, I think UCSF wins on location. Palo Alto is admittedly boring..though entertaining enough for weekday and even weekend fun. Our weather is better, the scenery is nicer, it's easier to have a car, etc., but San Fran is a much more fun place to live as someone in your 20s. It's hard to refute this. More particularly so if you're an urbanite like myself. However, as a Stanford student, I will say that going to Stanford does not preclude you from going to SF often, or even living there. I head there or to Berkeley 2-3 times per week. And, I'm living in SF this summer and potentially next year. Sometimes I wish Stanford was in the city, but other times I like having a quiet, beautiful relaxed place to come home to. Stanford also runs numerous programs that get you "out and about" your first two years when you have the time. As a MS1, I've been to Las Vegas, San Diego, Philly, NYC, the Sierras, Tahoe, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Monterey, etc on other personal or Stanford sponsored trips. You have time for this given the P/F system and the fact that all lectures are recorded.

(2) Private University vs. Public Medical School: Stanford Med benefits enormously from being on the Stanford campus. You have access to take Biz or Law school courses (Top 3 schools in their respective fields), engineering courses, undergrad courses, fine arts courses, you name it, it's free. Our scholarly concentration program is unique and at few other schools anywhere in the US (UCSF included) would it be possible for me take a biotech Biz school course (with some of the nation's best professors and class peers), a cancer biology clinical elective, and a pediatric shadowing elective... all in addition to my normal med school load. This also opens up a lot of social opportunities. There are constantly inter-grad school mixers, Grad Student party nights, etc. I personally like having friends who aren't medical students, and it's been pretty easy for me to meet people outside the school with a little pro-active effort. You don't get this same type of diversity at UCSF, just because there are no business students, undergrads, law students, etc. On the flipside, you have all of SF if you're a UCSF student. Though, it's admittedly harder to meeting people "in the real world" outside of your graduate school when you're a student.

There are certainly a ton more differences and similarities. Your best bet is to attend admit weekend at both and see which one vibes better. I didn't interview at UCSF, and I'm a Stanford student, so I'm admittedly biased. My usual stance on debating the schools is this: If you love the city life and can't live without it, go to UCSF. From an "academic" standpoint, there are more opportunities at Stanford if you're interested in aspects of medicine outside of strict clinical medicine. Stanford grooms leaders and innovators in the medical field, from a pure "education" standpoint I think Stanford is a better experience than almost any other med school in the US. UCSF included.

Last edited:
ahh thank you so much mdeast! i was secretly hoping for one of your always informative posts. the reason i ask is because i'm abroad and can't come back for any of the admit weekends. i'm a little worried about making a decision without a revisit, so my best bet is to get as much advice from people as possible. what you wrote really helps.

i hope someone from ucsf offers their perspective as well :) i went to stanford undergrad so i'm skewed that way only because i know more about the place.

ahh thank you so much mdeast! i was secretly hoping for one of your always informative posts. the reason i ask is because i'm abroad and can't come back for any of the admit weekends. i'm a little worried about making a decision without a revisit, so my best bet is to get as much advice from people as possible. what you wrote really helps.

i hope someone from ucsf offers their perspective as well :) i went to stanford undergrad so i'm skewed that way only because i know more about the place.

No problem. Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific question. I'm slightly biased, but honestly try and offer as objective advice as possible.

Some excellent points mdeast.

Having interviewed at both places, there were some important differences. I think the biggest thing is, like mdeast mentioned, the environment. The city is very different from Palo Alto. Living off campus has made me realize how wonderful student housing really is. UCSF has many students in the area, but many others have to bus in from a different part of the city. However, Stanford has plenty of grad student housing conveniently located on campus.

Two other key points that I found important are lecture recording and abroad opportunities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that Stanford has video recorded lectures. UCSF only has podcasts (perhaps with an occasional video recording). If you don't mind not having a video of the lecture then don't worry about this. Another big selling point for Stanford is the ORGANIZED abroad program. At some point in medical school I want to perform research/volunteer abroad and it helps that they have clear and organized opportunities listed in a database. UCSF has abroad options, but you have to figure out who is doing what and when individually, potentially missing out on opportunities.

However, UCSF appears to have a stronger clinical program in terms of a more diverse patient population. I was jokingly told in the interview that Stanford sends the patients they don't want to deal with (I assume for financial reasons) to UCSF.

These are just some points that I have found important when making my decision. Let me know if you guys think of anything else!

thanks arensophilia--those are great points. i keep being swayed towards stanford hahaha. anyone for ucsf?? anyone? i know there's a bunch of you out there. just want to get as many opinions as possible :cool:

UCSF: cheapest expense for the best quality education in the state of CA (if CA resident), incredible heavily-funded research opportunities through numerous labs and extensive connections to international programs, leading and prized faculty, diverse patient population obviously because of the city, and spectacular views of the Bay and the Golden Gate.

It is difficult for public universities to break through the rankings amongst historically, well-endowed private universities. The fact that UCSF has, in both research and primary care (even if rankings don't matter to you), been recognized as one of the top universities in the country for its ground-breaking, extensive research, amazing faculty, and clinical opportunities says a lot about this particular school. And it frequently interacts and collaborates with faculty and graduate students at nearby Berkeley, which is another intellect known for its top graduate programs (has the largest number of top 10 graduate programs of any school in the country, including law, business...and of course, engineering). So there are opportunities to mingle with grad students or people in general...hell, you have the whole city.

Obviously I am biased too, but I am doing it to defend, from a pure "education" standpoint as well, that UCSF is a better experience than almost any other med school in the US. Stanford included.

In all honesty though, the previous sentence doesn't matter because unless you have experienced all the med schools in the U.S., you can't claim this. Both schools are terrific, but for the overall experience of learning and living, UCSF wins for me in a heartbeat.

But it is really up to you on where you "clicked" the most during the interview day and where you can imagine yourself being for the next 4+ years. Happiness is key because it will mean success for you later on, no matter where you go.

But it is really up to you on where you "clicked" the most during the interview day and where you can imagine yourself being for the next 4+ years. Happiness is key because it will mean success for you later on, no matter where you go.

Word. In all honestly, Stanford and UCSF are both great places. They definitely have different vibes, though I think I would get along with most of the UCSF students I met. We hold a joint UCSF-Stanford mixer every year so regardless of your choice you'll get to meet people at both places :)

Choose the one you like more. Both will get you to wherever you want to go. Finances shouldn't be an issue too. Stanford usually ends up cheaper than even UCSF (I could go into a long convo 'bout this)...but in the end, it's likely not going to be a significant difference to warrant factoring it into your decision.

Last edited:
definitely agree with you about picking a place i'd be happier. it's just hard to figure out what that is without going to the revisit weekend :-/ i know i can't go wrong either way, but i'll keep asking around in the meantime. really appreciate your help!

As a premed undergrad at Stanford, all I have to say is having the med school so close (yet so far) only increases my butthurt to excruciating levels. Take UCSF for simply the fact that the med students don't (can't) taunt us poor UG plebes.

Last edited:
Stanford rocks! That said, I think whether ur in-state or out of state matters in this particular case!

Can anyone summarize how Stanford and UCSF's research strengths compare? I've heard that Stanford is stronger in basic science and UCSF in clinical research (though they have plenty of basic science as well)? If anyone has any more comprehensive thoughts, that would be really helpful! Though I imagine one wouldn't be limited in any of these places, in basic/clinical/community research...

Specifically for Stanford students, even though the faculty is smaller compared to some other institutions, does it still feel like there are more than enough faculty for research, mentoring, etc.?

Can anyone summarize how Stanford and UCSF's research strengths compare? I've heard that Stanford is stronger in basic science and UCSF in clinical research (though they have plenty of basic science as well)? If anyone has any more comprehensive thoughts, that would be really helpful! Though I imagine one wouldn't be limited in any of these places, in basic/clinical/community research...

Specifically for Stanford students, even though the faculty is smaller compared to some other institutions, does it still feel like there are more than enough faculty for research, mentoring, etc.?

I would say both schools are remarkable in their basic science capabilities and it seems to be the case that UCSF has more going on in the clinical research arena due to its larger hospital. Still, Stanford does pretty well :D. If I were accepted at both schools (I was.) and the debate came down to clinical trial opportunities (It didn't.), I would figure out which types of clinical trial research I was interested in and then see which school has a reputation of such work (If you're interested in HIV or primary care therapeutics, UCSF might be an outright win). Because one place has more clinical trials going on doesn't mean the experts on what YOU like are at that place.

That being said, lots of the research opportunities I've investigated here at Stanford are disease-focused. When I think "basic science" I tend to think stuff like formative mitochondrial biology (advances the field of biology more so than our understanding of a particular disease). Stanford has lots of research going on that is disease focused, so the questions that drive research aren't very far away - if that's your thing.

In terms of faculty/mentoring, etc - We have way more support than we know what to do with. I have a clinical mentor that I got my first week of medical school, and I see her about twice a week. Once per quarter she hosts dinners at her house for all the students (less than 10) in her advising group and we talk about everything from medicine to life to movies. That person is familiar with my initial performance in clinical exercises and, in clinical discussions, she likes to act as a barometer of my growth.

In terms of research mentors - I met with about 10 investigators before I decided what to do for my summer medscholars project. Every one of them was excited to meet with me, nine of them were willing to have me work for them after the first meeting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.