This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTthoughts

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone!

so i recently was accepted to UCSF's dpt program and am now deciding between UCSF or Duke, and would really appreciate any thoughts/feedback

UCSF
pros:
- its in SF, close to LA (where I live now and have a lot of friends/support)
- great healthcare school all around
- interprofessional curriculum
- more clinical experience
- cheaper tuition (but to my surprise from interview weekend, the cost of living makes going to UCSF just about as expensive as, if not even a bit more, than duke, which is crazy!)

cons:
- limited to california for clinicals (not a HUGE con, but something to think about)
- 50 people per class (can't tell if this is a pro or con actually..but it seems almost too small, at least compared to dukes ~90 people)
- not ranked as high as duke (its still of course a great school but also something to think about, not sure it really even matters anyway)
- have to commute a lot between 3 campuses

DUKE
pros:
- private school, perhaps more resources?
- clinical sites across the country
- ranked higher
- has one campus/building (with free parking) for PT
- bigger class size (not sure if this is a pro or con, but it seems like this could be nicer? open to thoughts)

cons:
- in NC (not trying to rip on NC, but just compared to SF, this is a con for me)
- going off of that, i'd have to move from LA to NC, which is a much bigger move
- team based learning (not sure if this is a pro or con, I've heard conflicting things..)

even tho duke has fewer cons on paper, my liberal leanings make me favor UCSF just a bit more but i was really shocked to find out how much going there (with the cost of living) would be, because i was really into UCSF partially bc of their lower tuition compared to duke. but after doing the math, they honestly are comparable (duke has higher tuition but lower cost of living, and UCSF has vice versa) so it's hard to have that be a deciding factor now

given that the tuition/fees are comparable, i start thinking about actual quality of education now (if UCSF were significantly cheaper i would definitely just go there) -- UCSF is ranked lower than duke and i know they're both still great schools but my friend who goes to UNC pharm made a comment about how "by actually going there, she realized now that there is a reason UNC pharm is ranked #1" which makes me think if the ranking does say something about the schools

also i really can't tell if the smaller class size is better or worse. i know it could be very nice bc it can be close knit and stuff but it also seems like it could be limiting.

anyway, if anyone who is thinking about UCSF/duke or currently goes there takes the time to read this (thank you), i'd appreciate your thoughts -- why do you prefer one to the other? etc etc

appreciate any feedback!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I too got accepted to UCSF and from the beginning it was my “number 1 school” but after the interview weekend I’ve decided to attend a different program. A huge negative for me was that we could only do clinicals in California, and having to juggle semester and quarter length classes seems like an unnecessary headache...and the commute between campuses seems like it would get old quick. I really really wanted to fall in love with UCSF but I’d ultimately be compromising too much in my desired pt education if I went there. (I’m from the Bay Area so I really hoped UCSF would’ve worked out)

With that said I wouldn’t base your decision on the ranking of a program....pt school is nothing like med school and the ranking doesn’t really matter. I would focus more on the curriculum and the additional opportunities the program has to offer.

But it seems like you are leaning towards Duke based on everything you said in the post. Best of luck deciding!

hey everyone!

so i recently was accepted to UCSF's dpt program and am now deciding between UCSF or Duke, and would really appreciate any thoughts/feedback

UCSF
pros:
- its in SF, close to LA (where I live now and have a lot of friends/support)
- great healthcare school all around
- interprofessional curriculum
- more clinical experience
- cheaper tuition (but to my surprise from interview weekend, the cost of living makes going to UCSF just about as expensive as, if not even a bit more, than duke, which is crazy!)

cons:
- limited to california for clinicals (not a HUGE con, but something to think about)
- 50 people per class (can't tell if this is a pro or con actually..but it seems almost too small, at least compared to dukes ~90 people)
- not ranked as high as duke (its still of course a great school but also something to think about, not sure it really even matters anyway)
- have to commute a lot between 3 campuses

DUKE
pros:
- private school, perhaps more resources?
- clinical sites across the country
- ranked higher
- has one campus/building (with free parking) for PT
- bigger class size (not sure if this is a pro or con, but it seems like this could be nicer? open to thoughts)

cons:
- in NC (not trying to rip on NC, but just compared to SF, this is a con for me)
- going off of that, i'd have to move from LA to NC, which is a much bigger move
- team based learning (not sure if this is a pro or con, I've heard conflicting things..)

even tho duke has fewer cons on paper, my liberal leanings make me favor UCSF just a bit more but i was really shocked to find out how much going there (with the cost of living) would be, because i was really into UCSF partially bc of their lower tuition compared to duke. but after doing the math, they honestly are comparable (duke has higher tuition but lower cost of living, and UCSF has vice versa) so it's hard to have that be a deciding factor now

given that the tuition/fees are comparable, i start thinking about actual quality of education now (if UCSF were significantly cheaper i would definitely just go there) -- UCSF is ranked lower than duke and i know they're both still great schools but my friend who goes to UNC pharm made a comment about how "by actually going there, she realized now that there is a reason UNC pharm is ranked #1" which makes me think if the ranking does say something about the schools

also i really can't tell if the smaller class size is better or worse. i know it could be very nice bc it can be close knit and stuff but it also seems like it could be limiting.

anyway, if anyone who is thinking about UCSF/duke or currently goes there takes the time to read this (thank you), i'd appreciate your thoughts -- why do you prefer one to the other? etc etc

appreciate any feedback!!

Where did you go exactly to find out about the schools' clinical sites/policies? Because I'd like to find out what it is for other schools that I'm applying for.

I was unaware that UCSF limited their clinicals to California only. I did a brief skim of there website and wasn't able to find anything on that. Thanks for the info, that is great to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you go exactly to find out about the schools' clinical sites/policies? Because I'd like to find out what it is for other schools that I'm applying for.

I was unaware that UCSF limited their clinicals to California only. I did a brief skim of there website and wasn't able to find anything on that. Thanks for the info, that is great to know.
It’s actually not really mentioned on their page, I believe it’s a “newish” policy that causes the school to restrict clinicals to be in California atm. We were informed of it during the interview weekend, it was definitely news to me. They mentioned the school is trying to make some kind of agreement that would allow the students to do clinicals in Oregon and possibly Washington State too.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I too got accepted to UCSF and from the beginning it was my “number 1 school” but after the interview weekend I’ve decided to attend a different program. A huge negative for me was that we could only do clinicals in California, and having to juggle semester and quarter length classes seems like an unnecessary headache...and the commute between campuses seems like it would get old quick. I really really wanted to fall in love with UCSF but I’d ultimately be compromising too much in my desired pt education if I went there. (I’m from the Bay Area so I really hoped UCSF would’ve worked out)

With that said I wouldn’t base your decision on the ranking of a program....pt school is nothing like med school and the ranking doesn’t really matter. I would focus more on the curriculum and the additional opportunities the program has to offer.

But it seems like you are leaning towards Duke based on everything you said in the post. Best of luck deciding!

Wow thank you so much for taking the time to give your thoughts!!!

Yeah, the fact that we can only do CA clinicals was an unpleasant surprise (tho not the worst since I want to end up in CA, but still)

Hopefully their efforts to expand to Oregon and Washington will work out though!

Best of luck with your decision as well!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow thank you so much for taking the time to give your thoughts!!!

Yeah, the fact that we can only do CA clinicals was an unpleasant surprise (tho not the worst since I want to end up in CA, but still)

Hopefully their efforts to expand to Oregon and Washington will work out though!

Best of luck with your decision as well!!!

Hey, don't know if you've made your decision yet. But I'm in similar situation with USC(CA) vs Duke. If I were you I'd probably pick Duke because 1) commute between schools is a pain in the ass 2) prefer private over public schools. However, living in Durham is probably going to be a nightmare because of the weather and there's nothing to do there. Just my 2 cents