UCSF filled their class as of yesterday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received a letter that i was granted "provisional acceptance" and this letter is dated April 26. Yesterday, when dr. alexander called me, he didn't mention "provisional". Do you have any idea about this provisional stuff? am i really in? I just want to make everything clear before I withdraw my acceptance from other school.

Members don't see this ad.

Im curious to see if anyone's status on Aadsas has changed? I got the call yesterday but I am on edge until I get somekind of official letter. I feel like its too good to be true. I am scared to call other schools and drop until I have an official acceptance. Also, whats with the provisional acceptance thing?

Lilstar0024 said:
Im curious to see if anyone's status on Aadsas has changed? I got the call yesterday but I am on edge until I get somekind of official letter. I feel like its too good to be true. I am scared to call other schools and drop until I have an official acceptance. Also, whats with the provisional acceptance thing?

I feel exactly same, Lilstar. This is too good to be true.
my status on webtool or AADSAS stays same.
I don't want to hold multiple spots, but until I have something official in my hands, i can't drop the acceptance at other school.
Can anyone who got accepted earlier tell me if your letter also said provisional?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, it's official. mine said "provisionally admitted" as well. your aadsas wont update right away, give it a week or so.

How come I haven't gotten a letter yet? Do you guys live in Cali?

yeah, it's probably taking you longer because you're out of state. btw, i got mine in februray

ahga80 said:
No, since I am an international applicant, UCSF and Harvard cost the same to me.
For those who just got accpeted to UCSF today, do u guys know when we should send the deposit and how much?

the deposit is $200 and it's refundable.

Thank you food4thots.
Now I can drop the acceptance.. ;)
Lilstar, i'm in Cali. i'm sure you'll get the letter tomorrow. don't worry. we're officially in!

Are you guys still taking classes? That's probably why. It won't be official until they get your deposit and final transcript with acceptable grades for the classes that you are taking. Congrats again! Log off SDN and enjoy your weekend!

whats happening to those of us who didn't get a call or a letter?

Lilstar, I remember you posting that you were accepted the day after your interview at UCSF?

howui3, how'd you hear about your rejection?

howui3 said:
just got my first rejection, i guess i forgot to withdraw from ucsf.

good luck to the rest!

dominoes said:
howui3, how'd you hear about your rejection?

a very very thin letter from them, hand signed by Dr. Alexander.

Members don't see this ad :)
howui3 said:

howui3, Did you have the interview?

porsche7 said:
howui3, Did you have the interview?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: no

after getting into ucla i withdrew from the rest of the schools, but looks like i forgot about sf.

Tche said:
Lilstar, I remember you posting that you were accepted the day after your interview at UCSF?

Yeah that was my own ignorance. My interviewer (the faculty memeber) told Me tto expect an invitation in the mail. She said that I was unofficially accepted. So I got very excited and posted that after my interview. But I lost more and more hope over the past months as no letter arrived. I didn't even expect to get in anymore. I had completely lost all hope and made plans to attend Nova. I had even picked out an apartment there and everything.... But I am so excited!!

howui3 said:

My first post on SDN, been lurking around for sometime now, following this post particularly closely:

Just how thin was your letter? Reason I ask is because I got a letter today, haven't opened it yet. It's a thin letter, but doesn't feel "very very" thin..

I know it's not an acceptance because I didn't get the coveted call from Dr. Alexander. Most likely a rejection, but maybe a waitlist?

I dunno; interviewed November 3rd, its been 6 months of agony. Do I want to end it right now, will it be anti-climatic? Should I burn it? :p Think I'm gonna go jogging for a bit first, maybe open it later...

Like so many of you, it's USC for me if my dream school dumped me!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

reven said:
My first post on SDN, been lurking around for sometime now, following this post particularly closely:

Just how thin was your letter? Reason I ask is because I got a letter today, haven't opened it yet. It's a thin letter, but doesn't feel "very very" thin..

I know it's not an acceptance because I didn't get the coveted call from Dr. Alexander. Most likely a rejection, but maybe a waitlist?

I dunno; interviewed November 3rd, its been 6 months of agony. Do I want to end it right now, will it be anti-climatic? Should I burn it? :p Think I'm gonna go jogging for a bit first, maybe open it later...

Like so many of you, it's USC for me if my dream school dumped me!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

open it!! and let us know

Well, before I went for my run, I was examining the envelope, and I noticed that it seemed to have something other than just a letter. Putting it up to the light, I noticed what appeared to be a small envelope or something that was not letting much light through. This elevated my mood somewhat, at which point I went to run.

Came back, got dinner, went to my friend's place, and finally, just now, opened the letter. So, inside was a card with admitted/provisional admit/alternate check boxes. The alternate check box was checked on mine. The letter states that many alternates were offered acceptances at a later date last year, but goes on to say that they are not certain about chances of admittance from the alternate pool this year (almost 2k applicants this year, highly competitive, as we all know).

Though it would have been awesome to have been accepted, I knew it wasn't going to happen since I didn't get "the call." However, I am grateful to at least make the alternate pool, although this does mean more waiting (been waiting six months!)

Good luck everyone! :luck:

Did anyone receive information about orientation? When is the first day of class?

Hi Reven
Can I ask about your location? Are you in Cali? Since I am and I have not recieved any letter!! This is really wierd... I even got a call from one of the administrative people at UCSF about 10 days ago telling me that my chances are really good and they dont see any reason why I shouldn't get in, and just be patient!! and then nothing, not even a rejection... I mean I would even be really happy to get rejected since I have a good school to fall back on, but nothing. this wait is ruining my "round the world in 80 days" plan for this summer. But anyways congrats on all that got in or atleast got notified of where they stand!

reven said:
Well, before I went for my run, I was examining the envelope, and I noticed that it seemed to have something other than just a letter. Putting it up to the light, I noticed what appeared to be a small envelope or something that was not letting much light through. This elevated my mood somewhat, at which point I went to run.

Came back, got dinner, went to my friend's place, and finally, just now, opened the letter. So, inside was a card with admitted/provisional admit/alternate check boxes. The alternate check box was checked on mine. The letter states that many alternates were offered acceptances at a later date last year, but goes on to say that they are not certain about chances of admittance from the alternate pool this year (almost 2k applicants this year, highly competitive, as we all know).

Though it would have been awesome to have been accepted, I knew it wasn't going to happen since I didn't get "the call." However, I am grateful to at least make the alternate pool, although this does mean more waiting (been waiting six months!)

Good luck everyone! :luck:

headsup said:
Hi Reven
Can I ask about your location? Are you in Cali? Since I am and I have not recieved any letter!! This is really wierd... I even got a call from one of the administrative people at UCSF about 10 days ago telling me that my chances are really good and they dont see any reason why I shouldn't get in, and just be patient!! and then nothing, not even a rejection... I mean I would even be really happy to get rejected since I have a good school to fall back on, but nothing. this wait is ruining my "round the world in 80 days" plan for this summer. But anyways congrats on all that got in or atleast got notified of where they stand!

Hey man,
I live in san francisco, like a mile from ucsf. My letter was dated the 26th of april, postmarked the 28th, received yesterday, the 29th. Funny thing, based on the postmark, it left SF and took a trip to oakland before coming back to SF.

I would say that everyone who has not heard should expect to hear back early this week, if not on Monday. Good luck, sounds like you have a pretty good chance still.

so today is monday, may 1st. has anyone received anything? I just got mine, and it says "alternate" Even though I've sent my USC's commitment fee, I'd love to go to UCSF if I'm admitted. Do you guys think I should continue on my chance?

A big fat nothing in my mailbox. Maybe they send the waitlist letters first, then the rejection letters.

dominoes said:
A big fat nothing in my mailbox. Maybe they send the waitlist letters first, then the rejection letters.

I think that nothing at this time is actually a good thing since some are receiving their rejection letters.

im in norway right now. just paid my usc commitment yesterday on the phone from london. i need to call home to see if i got a letter...i did however get an email saying that i will be receiving a letter in the next 5-10 days. did anyone else get this letter? if so, did you get accepted or rejected or waitlisted? thanks and good luck. i think i will try to forget about the 1000 dollars i just put on usc and forget about this whole dental school dilemma until i get back to germany. god im scared!

good luck!

I got UCSF mail yesterday, which tells me that I am on the alternate list.

Rejected. Looks like Penn for me.

minige527 said:
I got UCSF mail yesterday, which tells me that I am on the alternate list.

I am surprized. You have great stats:
UC Berkeley
GPA: 3.8
Sci GPA: 3.7
major: Biology

DAT:
Overall sci: 24
Acdemic: 24
BIO: 21
GCH: 29
OCH: 29
Reading: 18(!)
Quant: 23
PAT: 18 (!)

I am so scared to open my mailbox ...

Got the call walking out from work today!!!!

Absolutely floored! I've been waiting 6 months, almost to the day for this acceptance! :scared: :scared: :) :) :D :D

I love you, UCSF!!! I love you, Dr. Alexander!!!

Man, this is surreal, please don't wake up, please don't wake up, lol.

I wish the best of luck to those still waiting. :luck: :luck: :luck:

reven said:
Got the call walking out from work today!!!!
Congratulation! Wow, UCSF already started to pull people off from the waitlist. That's fast.

I received my rejection letter in the mail today. I am bummed, but still want to congratulate all those accepted. Good work!!

Just got my alternate letter
wow.
still figuring out how I feel about it- nice reven- sooo happy for you.

joe???
xyla???

talk to me

SusyGrnbrg said:
wow.

joe???
xyla???

talk to me

havent heard anything yet...waiting for my brother to email me with results. im guessing a rejection. i cant check myself cause im in scandinavia. congrats to everyone else im way jealous.

Don't give up yet- anything is possible at this point- I see no rhyme or reason to why perfectly capable people have been rejected- an others like myself have become alternates- I just know I am really happy for everyone that has gotten in- and for those of you rejected- you are so lucky to have amazing schools like Penn and UCLA to fall back on.

I have a feeling that I am going to spend the next 4 months jumping every time the phone rings- wow! that reminds me of the last 2 months.

:scared:

SusyGrnbrg said:
Don't give up yet- anything is possible at this point- I see no rhyme or reason to why perfectly capable people have been rejected- an others like myself have become alternates-

Oh you are so nice. I really hope you hear something soon because you deserve it more than you think!

SusyGrnbrg said:
wow.

joe???
xyla???

talk to me

Still a Trojan :)

I got the alternate letter today. :cool:

Good luck everyone :luck:

congrats, reven. i think there will be more spots opening up. i know someone who decided not to attend ucsf, i'm not sure if that person has official withdrew or not yet.

Anyone knows how the alternate list works?
Do we have to just sit and hope for a call for the next 4 months or there is another deadline?
This is ruining my plans for this summer. I have to move to another state in case I get rejected, and I also need to give a 2 week notice to be able to go and find a place to live in the new state!!! This is really fun!!
I wish I would have bought a lotto ticket, I think their deadlines are more clear than UCSF's and I had a better chance of winning some money...

good luck to all who are waiting and congrats to the people who got accepted...
also I am really happy for those who got rejected!! you are done with the pain and know your next step.

i just want to know my next step but since im in sweden i just have to sit and wait for my brothers email. :thumbdown:

headsup said:
Anyone knows how the alternate list works?
Do we have to just sit and hope for a call for the next 4 months or there is another deadline?
This is ruining my plans for this summer. I have to move to another state in case I get rejected, and I also need to give a 2 week notice to be able to go and find a place to live in the new state!!! This is really fun!!
I wish I would have bought a lotto ticket, I think their deadlines are more clear than UCSF's and I had a better chance of winning some money...

good luck to all who are waiting and congrats to the people who got accepted...
also I am really happy for those who got rejected!! you are done with the pain and know your next step.

Thanks guys, this really was a dream come true for me.

Headsup, you really do have to wait for the next few months :( However, to give you an idea, I was told by Dr. Alexander that there are typically 70-80 alternate offers made, of which about 60% of people accept the offer. If it were me, and I had moved and put down a rental security deposit in another location for another school, and finally gotten accepted to UCSF, I would still get up and go to SF, I love the school that much...

Good luck to all those still waiting, the pain is excruciating, but well worth it in the end ;)

Open up any spot?
I might....or might not...
arh...i dont know

ahga80 said:
Open up any spot?
arh...i dont know

I've decided to choose UCLA over UCSF although I live in San Francisco Bay Area. ahga80, I believe Harvard is a better option for you.

ahga80 said:
Open up any spot?
arh...i dont know
UCSF Chancellor, a Nobel Laureate, graduated from Harvard. Definitely Harvard is a better choice over UCSF. If I were you, I would choose Harvard.

When is the schedule for deposit due date? and how much is it?

I just wonder my chance... :luck:

porsche7 said:
When is the schedule for deposit due date? and how much is it?

I just wonder my chance... :luck:

deposit = $200
usually within 1-2 weeks
It's usually refundable if you withdraw within 2 months. You have to ask in writing.
Double check with Carmen or Bob Mckinsey (sp).
They may give different dates to different people.