UCSF & CNU vs. MCW & MCW: What Should My SO do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwthrowthrowaway

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Super confusing title I know lol.

I've been WL at UCSF (dream school) and WL at MCW. My SO was accepted to CNU & MCW. S/he is trying to figure out where to commit. We want to be with/near each other and are both from CA.

Is it inappropriate for me to contact my WL schools to see what my chances are of getting off? I also have an acceptance at Cincy, which isn't that close to MCW, but at least in the same time zone lol. Assuming I get accepted from both, which pair of schools is better? UCSF/CNU or MCW/MCW?

Members don't see this ad.

Yikesss. I feel ya...just idk how I feel about doing that lol.
That isn't really the question that needs to be answered. I would inform both schools of your situation, but most likely WL movement would be after the April 30 deadline. The question is which school will the admitted partner accept when the April 30 deadline hits. It is in your best interest to try to get an idea how many people MCW and UCSF accept off their waitlist. Some schools use the WLs quite a bit (like Cornell) and others don't. I looked up MCW on the MSAR for you and it says:

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
100-200 at MCW-Milwaukee and 25-50 at MCW-Green Bay and MCW-Central Wisconsin

Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist

Waitlist procedures and information
Applicants are placed on the waitlist throughout the interview cycle with few offers extended prior to May. The waitlist is unranked, and applicants are selected through a holistic review process.
on MSAR UCSF says:
Approximately 150

Applicants on the alternate list are not considered until after the April 30 deadline.
^^ here you can see UCSF doesn't consider WL movement until after April 30. Would the person accepted rather go to CNU or MCW? UCSF is really great but it seems more likely that as a strong candidate explaining your situation you could get in to MCW off of the WL. UCSF - while they do have a lot of WL movement according to MSAR - just seems more uncertain due to the strength of the school

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd try to both do MCW. I know it's not nearly the level of UCSF, but it's a very solid option for both of you (if accepted). In that scenario, you would both actually be in the same location, and nobody gets the short end of the stick at CNU.

Reactions: 1 users
Applicants on the alternate list are not considered until after the April 30 deadline.
^^ here you can see UCSF doesn't consider WL movement until after April 30. Would the person accepted rather go to CNU or MCW? UCSF is really great but it seems more likely that as a strong candidate explaining your situation you could get in to MCW off of the WL. UCSF - while they do have a lot of WL movement according to MSAR - just seems more uncertain due to the strength of the school

This isn't a hard and fast rule; I know a few people - myself included - who were accepted off the waitlist prior to the decision deadline in earlier cycles. We do also classically have great waitlist movement, but it's hard to say whether OP would be one of the fortunate ones, and I agree that it'd be a lot to ask OP's SO to go to CNU without a UCSF acceptance in hand.

Reactions: 2 users
That isn't really the question that needs to be answered. I would inform both schools of your situation, but most likely WL movement would be after the April 30 deadline. The question is which school will the admitted partner accept when the April 30 deadline hits. It is in your best interest to try to get an idea how many people MCW and UCSF accept off their waitlist. Some schools use the WLs quite a bit (like Cornell) and others don't. I looked up MCW on the MSAR for you and it says:

100-200 at MCW-Milwaukee and 25-50 at MCW-Green Bay and MCW-Central Wisconsin

Applicants are placed on the waitlist throughout the interview cycle with few offers extended prior to May. The waitlist is unranked, and applicants are selected through a holistic review process.
on MSAR UCSF says:
Approximately 150

Wow. Thanks for doing some MSAR research for me and giving some good advice. I really appreciate it! I do agree with your point about an increase in chances at MCW. And being the same school, I think MCW is more likely to give in to an A over UCSF.

This isn't a hard and fast rule; I know a few people - myself included - who were accepted off the waitlist prior to the decision deadline in earlier cycles. We do also classically have great waitlist movement, but it's hard to say whether OP would be one of the fortunate ones, and I agree that it'd be a lot to ask OP's SO to go to CNU without a UCSF acceptance in hand.

Yes, it's definitely a lot to ask from my SO to choose CNU with my future's uncertainty. I guess it's relevant to share that I have a WL from UC Davis as well if that changes anything. I'm just not sure of which has a greater probability: A WL acceptance from UCSF and/or Davis OR a WL acceptance from MCW? Ugh this is so frustrating...

True good point - I myself know that MSAR is very conservative - I still agree though that even though UCSF has great WL movement - it still seems like MCW/MCW is a bit safer bet

UC Davis' WL info from MSAR:
100-150

Not Provided

The number of offers from the wait list varies year to year. Offers from the wait list begin in May.

Having two Cali WLs may increase your odds but I think what the admitted partner wants to do is relevant. Do they want to go to MCW or CNU?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it's definitely a lot to ask from my SO to choose CNU with my future's uncertainty. I guess it's relevant to share that I have a WL from UC Davis as well if that changes anything. I'm just not sure of which has a greater probability: A WL acceptance from UCSF and/or Davis OR a WL acceptance from MCW? Ugh this is so frustrating...

For what it’s worth UCD has really great waitlist movement. But that being said, is your SO more interested in attending CNU or MCW? If they were to commit to CNU (and you get off the waitlist at UCSF or UCD), would they be fine at CNU? Or is their preference for MCW?

UC Davis' WL info from MSAR:
100-150

Not Provided

The number of offers from the wait list varies year to year. Offers from the wait list begin in May.

Having two Cali WLs may increase your odds but I think what the admitted partner wants to do is relevant. Do they want to go to MCW or CNU?

SO actually is 60/40 CNU/MCW. Somewhat impressive first match and having friends/family in CA are big pros. I definitely don't want my partner to choose CNU just for me and s/he knows that :) Still a tough decision though!

Tempted to contact UCSF and Davis about the situation, but feel like it's inappropriate/not their problem (not to make them sound heartless lol).

Since SO wants CNU and yall want Cali then I would have SO pick CNU and have you write a letter of intent to UCSF detailing why you want to go there including your support system including your SO going to med school in the area. I would also write a letter of interest to UC Davis also including the info about how your SO will be attending med school in the area

Reactions: 1 user
Since SO wants CNU and yall want Cali then I would have SO pick CNU and have you write a letter of intent to UCSF detailing why you want to go there including your support system including your SO going to med school in the area. I would also write a letter of interest to UC Davis also including the info about how your SO will be attending med school in the area

Definitely drafting an LOI for UCSF. I'll have to double check UC Davis' policy on updates/letters (I think they don't want any), but definitely agree! Thank you!

UCD is certainly a lot closer to CNU than UCSF is (hours distance there), so that may make CNU more likely to work out. But again, hard to say without acceptances in hand.

Do you have any outright acceptances, or only waitlists? - edit: just saw cincy. Probably best to plan on MCW if you don’t hear back by the deadline, then, unless you’re both okay with long distance.