UCSF Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is this deposit that people are talking about? I got accepted to USC, UCSF and UCSD....only USC had a deposit.

Now I'm worried....anyone else's acceptance say NOTHING about a deposit??

I can't speak for UCSD, but the UCSF deposit was $100 (made out the regents), and was the method by which you secured your spot. It was in the online link they directed you to in your acceptance letter. In mine I had two weeks from the date of the letter for them to recieve the deposit to hold it. I'm assuming that UCSD probably used a similar system.

You might want to call UCSD at this point if you passed the two week point.

Members don't see this ad.

UCSF has a $100 deposit. I don't think it says so in the letter, but it is on the list of things to do on the website for newly accepted students.

http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/enteringstudents/

I think it's within 2 weeks from the date you accept your offer. Hope this helps :) And maybe see you next year!

What is this deposit that people are talking about? I got accepted to USC, UCSF and UCSD....only USC had a deposit.

Now I'm worried....anyone else's acceptance say NOTHING about a deposit??

Maybe you did so well on the interview they didn't want/need you to put down a deposit. : )

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone lives in the area, and wants to come to class with me one day, just let me know. It might be good to have a preview of what you'll be going through next year...I know some of my classmates did it last year and found it helpful (and I wish I had the opportunity).

UCSD had no deposit. I know at least 5 people that got accepted, and no one had one.

Sure no problem! The best class to come to is probably CP (clinical pharmacy) which is on Fridays 10-12. Does this work for you? Do you live close? We can try to time it when we're talking about something interesting and not, like, cultural competency or something since you'll be getting plenty of that next year :)

received the admissions packet today, just in case anyone was wondering.

i'm living out of state right now, so i'm guessing all the in-staters have received theirs as well. =).

received the admissions packet today, just in case anyone was wondering.

i'm living out of state right now, so i'm guessing all the in-staters have received theirs as well. =).
thanks for the heads up! i just got it and i'm super excited :D

I got it too, but seems like they couldn't have fit anything more in my packet if they had tried! :laugh:

I got it too, but seems like they couldn't have fit anything more in my packet if they had tried! :laugh:
seriously! i tried pulling the contents out at once and things were flying all over the place. i especially like that little map (although i'm a bit intimidated by it).

i got my packet, but i'm overseas right now... my mom mailed it to me yesterday, but i wanted to know if there is anything time sensitive in the packet? thanx guys!

seriously! i tried pulling the contents out at once and things were flying all over the place. i especially like that little map (although i'm a bit intimidated by it).

there isn't anything specific that is time-sensitive and cant be found on the newly enrolled student website. the packet included information about housing options (and how we should contact them quickly if we want on campus housing) and links to the website regarding immunizations, etc. most of it was "look for this, its coming your way" kind of reminders.

i got my packet, but i'm overseas right now... my mom mailed it to me yesterday, but i wanted to know if there is anything time sensitive in the packet? thanx guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea when we'll be getting information regarding how to activate our student accounts?

I got a letter yesterday. It had my e-mail address, as well as student ID and pin. Probably depends when you got accepted, I got accepted in early March..hope that gives you an idea of when you should get yours if you haven't already.

i got my letter today and I live in so cal.

If I had only waited an additional 24 hrs... I probably would have answered my own question :laugh: Got mine in the mail.

"Ah patience, my natural enemy. So we meet again..."

Hi everyone,

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted to my alma mater. I actually graduated in 2007 and currently am finishing up a residency. Here are some advice on survival strategies as a student and then beyond:

1. 1st year
Housing-pick a place close to campus, preferably the Avenue Houses. If you get to live on 3rd Avenue, even better, walking time is 5 minutes to class. You will probably make friends faster (if you have classmates as roommates, and it all depends on your personality, of course) and be able to attend more meetings and student organization events during the evening.
Coursework-try not to get too stressed out about physical chemistry. I think they make it so that everybody passes. Don't expect the same level of leniency for your other classes though. I would concentrate more on the CP series. Overall, the first year coursework is manageable. You get to go to a lot of functions, meet a lot of great people, and say that you got a pretty decent education. Remember, kick butt, you are there to learn!
Extra-currics-Join a few organizations that interest you-frats (both are co-ed), student pharmacy organizations, student government. This is essential if you are thinking about residency postgraduation.
Try to be on the lookout for a summer job early on, especially if you want to spend it in SF or SoCal. These areas get saturated with interns pretty fast. However, I don't think you get your intern license until December, at least for my year anyway.
Go to ASHP midyear. I think it's in Orlando this year.

2. 2nd year
Err, it's all downhill from here. As a 2nd year, your class will be running all the student events and functions, plus you have to juggle your coursework. However, this is where it gets interesting because you get to start pharmacology and therapeutics. This is also the time when you pick and get notified where you will be doing your clinical rotations.

3. 3rd year
Fall quarter of 3rd year was a bruiser. We had 1-2 midterms every week for at least 7 weeks (each quarter is 10 weeks long!) and I averaged 4 hours of sleep per night. Oh yeah, and then there was culmulative exam after fall quarter, fun...
Winter quarter of therapeutics was fun, we had around 20+ disease states. That's the quarter you learn about infectious disease. For some, this a make or break course.
Then you go off on rotations and get tortured by people like me...

My general advice-have fun, study hard, and make some good friends that will last you for a long while, if not for life. Best wishes!

Hi everyone,

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted to my alma mater. I actually graduated in 2007 and currently am finishing up a residency. Here are some advice on survival strategies as a student and then beyond:

1. 1st year
Housing-pick a place close to campus, preferably the Avenue Houses. If you get to live on 3rd Avenue, even better, walking time is 5 minutes to class. You will probably make friends faster (if you have classmates as roommates, and it all depends on your personality, of course) and be able to attend more meetings and student organization events during the evening.
Coursework-try not to get too stressed out about physical chemistry. I think they make it so that everybody passes. Don't expect the same level of leniency for your other classes though. I would concentrate more on the CP series. Overall, the first year coursework is manageable. You get to go to a lot of functions, meet a lot of great people, and say that you got a pretty decent education. Remember, kick butt, you are there to learn!
Extra-currics-Join a few organizations that interest you-frats (both are co-ed), student pharmacy organizations, student government. This is essential if you are thinking about residency postgraduation.
Try to be on the lookout for a summer job early on, especially if you want to spend it in SF or SoCal. These areas get saturated with interns pretty fast. However, I don't think you get your intern license until December, at least for my year anyway.
Go to ASHP midyear. I think it's in Orlando this year.

2. 2nd year
Err, it's all downhill from here. As a 2nd year, your class will be running all the student events and functions, plus you have to juggle your coursework. However, this is where it gets interesting because you get to start pharmacology and therapeutics. This is also the time when you pick and get notified where you will be doing your clinical rotations.

3. 3rd year
Fall quarter of 3rd year was a bruiser. We had 1-2 midterms every week for at least 7 weeks (each quarter is 10 weeks long!) and I averaged 4 hours of sleep per night. Oh yeah, and then there was culmulative exam after fall quarter, fun...
Winter quarter of therapeutics was fun, we had around 20+ disease states. That's the quarter you learn about infectious disease. For some, this a make or break course.
Then you go off on rotations and get tortured by people like me...

My general advice-have fun, study hard, and make some good friends that will last you for a long while, if not for life. Best wishes!

Thanks for the heads up.

Ok so I realize that by now nobody goes on this thread anymore but who cares.........I got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I am so excited that I want the whole world to know.

Cant wait to meet you all and congrats to all my future classmates! :cool:

Congratulations, can't wait to meet and hear your story.

Thanks man,
you'll hear it for sure if your goin on the camping trip. Oh.....I had a question for you. Is it true that we all have to read some book and take a class on immunizations all before school starts? I am over seas and my mom gets my mail and she said that we have to do all that in addition to everything else.....do you know anything about this?

Ok so I realize that by now nobody goes on this thread anymore but who cares.........I got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I am so excited that I want the whole world to know.

Tank! Dang man, congratulations! Don't forget to sign up for orientation. Looking forward to meeting you.

Congratulations! See you in a few weeks!

Thanks man,
you'll hear it for sure if your goin on the camping trip. Oh.....I had a question for you. Is it true that we all have to read some book and take a class on immunizations all before school starts? I am over seas and my mom gets my mail and she said that we have to do all that in addition to everything else.....do you know anything about this?
Yes, it's true. We have to buy a book from the CDC website, and we're supposed to have read certain chapters by the first day I think. And immunizations, there are a lot of them, and you also have to have two TB tests a week apart. Hopefully you'll be home soon and can get all that taken care of before school starts. I'm in SF already, and I just went to the Dept of Public Health (101 Grove St) and they do it all for you at the Adult Immunization Clinic, no appointment needed. Hope that helps! :)

Hey, did you guys get this info about the readings by mail? I just moved up to sf so some of my mail is still being sent to my hometown. I want to make sure I'm not missing anything because I didn't know about the reading...=(

I tried posting my question in the general forum and it got no response so I hope UCSF students check this thread...

UCSF has one of (if not THE) strictest conflict of interest policies prohibiting companies that sponsor clinical trials from funding individual research projects at UCSF. With this limited interaction between industry and academia, do you think it would be difficult for a UCSF grad to get a Medical Affairs job in Pharma? Do you guys have any industry rotations?

I tried posting my question in the general forum and it got no response so I hope UCSF students check this thread...

UCSF has one of (if not THE) strictest conflict of interest policies prohibiting companies that sponsor clinical trials from funding individual research projects at UCSF. With this limited interaction between industry and academia, do you think it would be difficult for a UCSF grad to get a Medical Affairs job in Pharma? Do you guys have any industry rotations?

Well, I'm probably not the best person on here to answer that, but I'll give it a shot. I think that at least a few of my classmates are interested in going into Pharma afterwards, although I am guessing most of them want to do something in the clinical trials side of things, and not so much in the Med Affairs. We do have someone in our class who used to be a drug rep, and i'm not sure if she is planning to go back to that or not. We had several people who came from jobs in industry, and who are doing their PharmDs and planning to go back. It's totally doable.

As far as I know, we don't have any industry rotations. But I'm only a P1 and we haven't really heard about all the options yet for rotations. I was under the impression that very few schools (except for east coast schools near all the pharmas) have those? I could be wrong, as it's not really my area of interest. There is a very very competitive internship at Genentech in South SF which you can do between P2 and P3 years, but they get like 50 apps for 1 spot...something crazy like that.

Anyway, hope that helps at least a little! I think a degree from UCSF will serve you well no matter where you want to go, but I'm sure other schools have better ties to industry. So it's totally up to you. :)

Okay, it's finals week...and I should be studying! Back to that...

Thanks for your input. It should be interesting to see what happens to that Genentech internship after the Roche acquisition.

Does any one know when was the student sponsored orientation in 2008? Was it before or after the mandatory orientation? Was its date closed to the date of the mandatory orientation or far from it?
If I recall correctly, it was the week preceding the required orrientation. There were a lot of fun events involving touring the city, hiking, night-clubbing, touring Napa/breweries, and even a camping trip.

You'll no doubt hear about it closer to fall quarter- heck, all the events were alot of fun so make sure you save that week!

Last edited: