UCSF Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Bombay, thanks for the info! if you wouldnt mind, could u pls share how the IV is overall and specially the bench exam....what preps need to be done and how to prepare?? Would really appreciate it, working full time and dunno how im gonna prepare for this so gotta start right now :)
Thanks!

Congratulations to everyone who got a call!

Some of you will be travelling to SFO just for the interviews and I recommend you all plan your trip well in advance, as hotel rooms dry up soon.

For UCSF, hotel Carl or hotel Stanyan are close by options.
if you are on a budget and dont mind euro-travellers, there are a few hostels in downtown that u can check out.

SFO is a relatively safe city with good public transport from the airport and around town.

congratulations again!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Bombay, thanks for the info! if you wouldnt mind, could u pls share how the IV is overall and specially the bench exam....what preps need to be done and how to prepare?? Would really appreciate it, working full time and dunno how im gonna prepare for this so gotta start right now :)
Thanks!

hey Cris, u r welcome. Iv is relaxed, dont worry abt it. just be urself. bench exam preps would be listed in the package u recieve from UCSF.

starting right now is the right thing to do for everyone.

hey Cris, u r welcome. Iv is relaxed, dont worry abt it. just be urself. bench exam preps would be listed in the package u recieve from UCSF.

starting right now is the right thing to do for everyone.

Happy Birthday to Bombay BDS Yay !

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Grief and joy, Don't lose heart. with your kind of scores, you are going to miles, sooner or later. Times aren't always same, wish you all the best!

Grief and joy,
very inspiring.............. u can be really great as a motivational speaker.all the best to you.

Last edited:
Congratulations to everyone who got a call!

Some of you will be travelling to SFO just for the interviews and I recommend you all plan your trip well in advance, as hotel rooms dry up soon.

For UCSF, hotel Carl or hotel Stanyan are close by options.
if you are on a budget and dont mind euro-travellers, there are a few hostels in downtown that u can check out.

SFO is a relatively safe city with good public transport from the airport and around town.

congratulations again!!

Aida hotel is 55$/ day. Book it caz it's really close to both universities.

Anybody staying at Best Western Hotel Tomo for UCSF n UOP interviews? PM me if so :)

Has anyone received the brochure from mary pham? If yes can you please tell me what do we have for the exam..

Has anyone received the invitation both from the UCSF and UOP? Have you noticed the overlap of their interview dates?

Has anyone received the invitation both from the UCSF and UOP? Have you noticed the overlap of their interview dates?
Each year UCSF and UOP sends interview invitation in such a way that students dont waste their time and they dont have to come back for the second interview. UCSF interviews will be done by morning and UOP will start in the afternoon. so nobody will have time ovelap.UCSF interviews will be scheduled in an appointment fashioned. so Only those who have interviews in WED 19th morning at UCSF and has UOP interview call also will have a little tight schedule for that day. But there will be very rare students facing that situation. more over both the universities are great and interviews are really stress free. so Dont worry about that you will have ample amount of time to attend both on the same day.

Anybody staying at Best Western Hotel Tomo for UCSF n UOP interviews? PM me if so :)

Hey guys. Congratulations once again for those who are coming to UCSF interview. Let me guide you with Accommodations. Mary Pham has worked hard to search hotels and prices for you which are near by and convenient to you. YOu will be practicing till late night before interviews so It is safe to get the hotel near by and go by walk. If you get hotels far then it will be very inconvenient for you to travel at late night. More over There is an area called 'Tenderloin' in SF downtown. Please be very very careful if you book hotels in or near that area. It is not safe at night or late eve to walk in Tenderloin. Crime rate is high in that area and you definitely dont want to be the victims on this precious time. Day time is ok. But I would recommend you to get hotels closest to UCSF.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for detailed information!

Is the last day of UCSF interview a personal interview or practice test?

Each year UCSF and UOP sends interview invitation in such a way that students dont waste their time and they dont have to come back for the second interview. UCSF interviews will be done by morning and UOP will start in the afternoon. so nobody will have time ovelap.UCSF interviews will be scheduled in an appointment fashioned. so Only those who have interviews in WED 19th morning at UCSF and has UOP interview call also will have a little tight schedule for that day. But there will be very rare students facing that situation. more over both the universities are great and interviews are really stress free. so Dont worry about that you will have ample amount of time to attend both on the same day.

Does anybody here live in East Bay and want to carpool? Thanks.

Has anyone received their packages yet? could u pls share the schedule for each day and the preps for the dexterity examination?....anything relevant that could help

not yet.

Has anyone received their packages yet? could u pls share the schedule for each day and the preps for the dexterity examination?....anything relevant that could help

Thanks for detailed information!

Is the last day of UCSF interview a personal interview or practice test?

Last Day would be interview only if they have not changed the pattern yet. It was like that last year.

i got the package today..
bench test is scheduled for the first day and on the second day they will assign the interview timings to each individual which would be for 30 min with 2 interviewers
technical exam consist of 2 crown preps.

ORGANIZER –
The American Student Dental Association(ASDA) Pre-Dental Committee at UCSF is organizing this event to help and prepare new DDS aspirants for their dental school interviews. This event is mainly looking to serve IDP-2011 UCSF interviewees, so spaces are very limited for non-UCSF applicants(first come, first serve manner). ASDA Pre-dental Committee members consist of current International Dental Students (IDP) who are actively involved in this event and will be able to help you during the event.

Event –
Saturday, Oct 15th,2011
10:30 AM – Registration
11:00 AM to 12:00 PM – Interview Presentation and Tips Workshop
12:00 PM to 12 :30 PM – Question Answers Session
12:30 PM to 1:00 PM – Lunch and meet IDP Students
1:00 PM to 2:00 PM – One on One Mock interview by panel of current IDP Students

Venue –
University of California San Francisco Medical Center,
• Room No – N-225 (Nursing Building)
• 513 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94143

Contact –
Krunal Sherathiya and Shreyas Oza at [email protected]

FAQs - See website for details - http://idpevent.eventbrite.com/

Disclaimer –
This is a non profitable event and organized by the of ASDA Pre-Dental committee. The motive behind organizing this event is to help new DDS aspirants of international origin to have a more relaxed interview process. UCSF School of Dentistry and International Dental Program at UCSF or any faculty of the UCSF School of Dentistry is not a part of this event and is not liable for any information provided during this mock interview and tips workshop. Please do not call or email UCSF School of Dentistry / International Dental Program / Faculty or Staff with questions in regard to this event. Attendance at this event does not influence your application at UCSF School Of Dentistry in any way.
Please contact: [email protected]
for more information.

Last edited:
I am confused where to meet at 9am at the Day 1.

The Itinerary has mentioned we will be at room D-4203 at 10:30am, but didn't say where to meet for the welcome session at 9am-10am. Or I miss something on the package?

I plan to go to practice prior to interview.

I have a 4-hole handpiece, is there any adaptor I should bring with me?

Thanks for any input.

I plan to go to practice prior to interview.

I have a 4-hole handpiece, is there any adaptor I should bring with me?

Thanks for any input.

No 4 hole handpiece do not require adaptor. Practice session will be the time you will have your best experience . Try to attend all 4 days for maximum benefits. Also try to attend ASDA mock interview event, I have mentioned in my previous post.

I am confused where to meet at 9am at the Day 1.

The Itinerary has mentioned we will be at room D-4203 at 10:30am, but didn't say where to meet for the welcome session at 9am-10am. Or I miss something on the package?

9-10 welcome session will also be in D-4203, which is simulation lab. But better make sure with Mary Pham via email. You dont want to get lost in huge campus on the first day.

I am invited for the interveiw at UCSF, but haven't received a package from them till now. Can anyone pls tell me what they ask in the bench test, what are the preps asked?
What else did the package contain?
Thanks!

preps are :
gold prep on MAndibular molar
gold prep on Maxillary molar
PFm - Maxillary cuspid
PFM - Maxillary central
PFM- Mandibular cuspid

you have to prepare 2 of these..

I have a 5-hole handpiece. Do I need an adaptor, krishdentist?

preps are :
PFm - Maxillary cuspid
PFM - Maxillary central
PFM- Mandibular cuspid

Thanks Dr Gugli, Is there a choice of any 2 to prepare, or we would be asked specifically to prepare 2 out of these? Sorry for the stupid ques!
Also, is there any other relevant info in the package?

Thanks Dr Gugli, Is there a choice of any 2 to prepare, or we would be asked specifically to prepare 2 out of these? Sorry for the stupid ques!
Also, is there any other relevant info in the package?
well most probably they will tell the same day what preparations they want..
rest of the things in the package include the information for the hotels, ways to reach the UCSF,where to meet and the study material for the preparations.

Hi Krishdentist,

For the left maxillary molar preparation does the entire tooth have to be prepped using indirect vision.. i mean can the mannequin head be rotated so that we have direct vision for alteast one surface?

Thanks

I have a 5-hole handpiece. Do I need an adaptor, krishdentist?
I haven't seen 5 hole handpiece before. I guess you are talking about fiber optic handpiece. Usually those kind of handpiece have 4 holes and 5th one is a fiberoptic connection. It looks like glass fiber pipe. So its still like 4 hole and 5th fiberoptic line. It will work with UCSF manikins.

Hi Krishdentist,

For the left maxillary molar preparation does the entire tooth have to be prepped using indirect vision.. i mean can the mannequin head be rotated so that we have direct vision for alteast one surface?

Thanks

These are the technical details. I would highly suggest you to join for practice session. That will help you. I can't make a generalized comment on social site on your question. but you can always turn the manikin head within limits of a physiological movement of patient neck.

These are the technical details. I would highly suggest you to join for practice session. That will help you. I can't make a generalized comment on social site on your question. but you can always turn the manikin head within limits of a physiological movement of patient neck.

Thanks a ton!

preps are :
PFm - Maxillary cuspid
PFM - Maxillary central
PFM- Mandibular cuspid

Practice well guys.
make use of the bench exam practice days that you are entitled to at UCSF.

ASDA, the american student dental association, is bringing a mock-interview session for you all.
Such a event was not around when we interviewed, it will give you a general idea of what an american interview feels like.

DO sign up for this event. details were posted by Krishdentist.

all the best and see you all here soon!

I am a Chinese girl. I booked a room near UCSF (0.8 miles away) Oct 15-19. If any girl would like to share the room with me, plz send me private messages~~~:love:

Hi How do you guys make the reservation for IV? I haven't received any confirmation email after I send the cashier's check to them. Do you get any response from the program after you send the RSVP email?

Hi How do you guys make the reservation for IV? I haven't received any confirmation email after I send the cashier's check to them. Do you get any response from the program after you send the RSVP email?

Email / call Mary Pham before the deadlline and confirm that they have received it. I hope every one is sending these RSVPs and documents to the universities via registered mail or any sort of signature tracking so you have proof and you can track if it gets lost. Its not mandatory but I would highly recommend it.

I emailed her for several times, but she has not replied.
Email / call Mary Pham before the deadlline and confirm that they have received it. I hope every one is sending these RSVPs and documents to the universities via registered mail or any sort of signature tracking so you have proof and you can track if it gets lost. Its not mandatory but I would highly recommend it.

I emailed her for several times, but she has not replied.

Well several emails will not help much. one is enough. She is a busy person taking care of the whole program. Why don't you leave her a voice mail and she will get back to you in 1-2 days! When you get in to UCSF, you will realize how hard the staff works for us!:thumbup::xf:

Last edited:
Who is attending the practice sessions? Im guessing thats a real plus, but i had already booked my flight when i found out they had those....is it worth changing my ticket and paying the extra $ or can i practice as well on my work lab?...even tho i dont have the exact same equipment that will be used

Who is attending the practice sessions? Im guessing thats a real plus, but i had already booked my flight when i found out they had those....is it worth changing my ticket and paying the extra $ or can i practice as well on my work lab?...even tho i dont have the exact same equipment that will be used

If u can afford it, definately change.

Hi Dr. Bombay,

When we practice at lab, are we allowed to put our typodont on Mannequin? Or we should bring a mole with us?

Thanks

You will be practicing exactly the same as exam. on manikin with same burs. Get it from UCSF student store.

ucsf only offers 856 016 856 012 . would you please tell me how the margins work out for PFM on #9 .is it heavy chamfer in buccal and slight chamfer in lingual?or full heavy chamfer?or ..

I guess apart from those it also says tungston carbide burs!
it is same chamfer on both the side for metal restorations. Instructions are given in the book late and check out the videos on the preps. It is hard to comment on practical work on forum. It is easy to guide when it is in the lab.