UCSD Fall 2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who have been accepted and are attending in the Fall, have any of you signed up on the on campus housing waitlist?

I'm looking into living on campus in a grad student apartment, but it wants information on when we start school and I can't find that on the Pharmacy school calendar online or anything. I'm guessing they'll send info on housing and fin aid later, but I'd like to at least get on the waitlist early.

http://pharmacy.ucsd.edu/about/calendar.shtml

Our white coat ceremony is Sept. 24, 2010. Hope that gives you an idea when we start school. Congrats on your acceptance.. looks like we'll be P1s together. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, and same to you!!!:)

I don't want to sound like a ***** (but I will anyway)--is the white coat ceremony our first day of school? lol

Not necessarily. We just get inducted as health professional students.. serves like an official stamp that we are pharmacy students.. lol. But the ceremony should be days before our first day of class.... Not completely sure though.. I guess it's best to email them. So you're looking at on-campus housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, is it safe to assume that all of the 100 acceptance letters have been mailed out by now? I still haven't received anything yet.

So, is it safe to assume that all of the 100 acceptance letters have been mailed out by now? I still haven't received anything yet.

Where do you live OldPharm? It took me about 7 days for their UCSD letter to arrive. The letter was mailed out 2/12 but I received the actual mail on the 2/18. If you are out-of-state person, hang in there little bit more!

Pharmcas has all of the key dates for UCSD posted on its website.

http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schooluc_sdpage.htm

Acceptance letters mailed: 3/1-3/15
Date of new student orientation: 9/20-9/22
First day of classes: 9/23

To those of you accepted: We have a loooooong summer ahead of us. Go travel and have whatever fun you can before you kiss your life goodbye this fall!

Pharmcas has all of the key dates for UCSD posted on its website.

http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schooluc_sdpage.htm

Acceptance letters mailed: 3/1-3/15
Date of new student orientation: 9/20-9/22
First day of classes: 9/23

To those of you accepted: We have a loooooong summer ahead of us. Go travel and have whatever fun you can before you kiss your life goodbye this fall!

I couldn't agree with you more. Are you going to SD for sure?

I couldn't agree with you more. Are you going to SD for sure?
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be attending UCSD this fall. That means in 2014, I will have spent 9 out of the last 10 years as a UCSD student (!).

I've talked to several Skaggs students and got some useful information about the program that I didn't see anywhere else, so I'll share it here. Hopefully this helps those of you who are debating whether or not to attend UCSD this fall.

Because of the relatively small class size, most professors will know you by name. Apparently the professors are more than happy to help students during their office hours (unlike some of the previous professors I've had).

Because SSPPS is a fairly new program, the professors are very open to feedback from students and are trying their best to fine-tune the curriculum. As you know, classes during your second year are taken with the med school students. Because of complaints about the classes for P2's and P3's being unnecessarily difficult (with too much emphasis being placed on physiology for med students), there are rumors that by next year, those classes will be altered to be geared more towards pharmacy. The curriculum as a whole places emphasis on clinical pharmacy rather than retail.

The honors/pass/fail system eliminates the competitive atmosphere of curved classes, and so your class will feel much more like a huge family, with students helping each other and sharing notes.

I hope this helps and I really look forward to meeting you guys this fall!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be attending UCSD this fall. That means in 2014, I will have spent 9 out of the last 10 years as a UCSD student (!).

I've talked to several Skaggs students and got some useful information about the program that I didn't see anywhere else, so I'll share it here. Hopefully this helps those of you who are debating whether or not to attend UCSD this fall.

Because of the relatively small class size, most professors will know you by name. Apparently the professors are more than happy to help students during their office hours (unlike some of the previous professors I've had).

Because SSPPS is a fairly new program, the professors are very open to feedback from students and are trying their best to fine-tune the curriculum. As you know, classes during your second year are taken with the med school students. Because of complaints about the classes for P2's and P3's being unnecessarily difficult (with too much emphasis being placed on physiology for med students), there are rumors that by next year, those classes will be altered to be geared more towards pharmacy. The curriculum as a whole places emphasis on clinical pharmacy rather than retail.

The honors/pass/fail system eliminates the competitive atmosphere of curved classes, and so your class will feel much more like a huge family, with students helping each other and sharing notes.

Thanks for your post! I will take into these things into consideration when deciding which school to attend in the fall. Also, I will PM you!

Thanks for sharing. I'm really excited to be attending UCSD this fall.. I'm originally from San Diego but I'm going elsewhere for my undergrad... so I'm stoked to be coming back home..

Also, there's nothing wrong with spending 9/10 as a UCSD student by 2014. It's a great school. :thumbup:

Thanks so much for the info!!! This makes me feel really good about choosing UCSD! See you in the Fall!!

Hello, all,

I have just received my letter: I'm placed on the waitlist. not very surprised~~

Could anyone tell me how many people does UCSD accept and waitlist? I know their class size is 60, but I remember from the interview, they are accepting more than 60 students and knowing some may go somewhere else, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Thanks a lot!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, all,

I have just received my letter: I'm placed on the waitlist. not very surprised~~

Could anyone tell me how many people does UCSD accept and waitlist? I know their class size is 60, but I remember from the interview, they are accepting more than 60 students and knowing some may go somewhere else, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong...

I believe they accept a total of 90 applicants.

Thank you, jeriboar21! :)
Does anyone know how many they place on waitlist?

How many of you "accepted" UCSD's offer already?

For those of you are on the waitlist...is it ranked and your rank # is given out by the mail?

How many of you "accepted" UCSD's offer already?

For those of you are on the waitlist...is it ranked and your rank # is given out by the mail?

No, the letter doesn't tell the rank number. The admission said they can't tell the applicants that info. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I want to know my rank number so bad~~

going to be sending in a decline of the offer from ucsd this week. it was a really hard decision but when it came down to it...it just made no sense to spend tens of thousands more for a school that is further from my family and friends and fairly comparable education to where i am going. So those of you on the waitlist...one more spot opening up!!! good luck to you all i am sure you will LOVE your years at UCSD it seems like a great school :)

Same here, I just declined my offer as well. It wasn't an easy decision but I will be heading to USC in the fall. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Hello, all,

UCSD accepts no more than 60 students at a time. If some someone declines, then a spot with open and usually 90-100 people have to be offered admission before the 60 spots are filled. But always there is no more than 60 people at a time offered admission. Hope that helps.

Hi, would anyone happen to know the deadline for accepted students to accept the offer from UCSD? Thanks!:)

who is all going to UCSD!?! I declined offers from USC, UOP, and Western to go to UCSD. Had an interview at UCSF, but received my rejection letter this week. where are you all living? I'm from central cali, but currently attend UCI! join the FB group so we can all talk! look forward to meeting you all! :)

who is all going to UCSD!?! I declined offers from USC, UOP, and Western to go to UCSD. Had an interview at UCSF, but received my rejection letter this week. where are you all living? I'm from central cali, but currently attend UCI! join the FB group so we can all talk! look forward to meeting you all! :)

Hey! I'm going to UCSD this fall. Looking forward to meeting you. I just joined the facebook group. Thanks for the heads up :)

hey everyone,

i just declined my acceptance so there should be 1 more spot for someone :)

Yes, I'm excited to meet everyone too!

Here's the link to the UCSD Pharm Class of 2014: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=104496262922505

Congrats norcal121! If you do decide to attend, join the c/o of 2014 Facebook group to meet incoming and current students of UCSD SSPPS

Does anyone know if on campus housing is guaranteed at UCSD?