UCSD Extension Premed Post Bacc 2018-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m not sure if it can’t be dislosed because they hadn’t sent out all the wait list invites at that time or haven’t received responses. I’m curious whether the info is a timing issue or a policy issue

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y’all, I’ve commited to the program. I’m a UCSD alum and live in SD already so if y’all want to connect or have any questions, feel free to ask. See y’all at orientation!

Reactions: 1 users
Did anybody also apply to the KGI pre med program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I just committed to the program as well. I’m not from the SD area so I’ll be looking for apartments/housing. Let me know if you guys need roommates!

I also got my interview invite this morning! For anyone who was wondering, I submitted on January 24th, but was verified on February 8th. Also, for the people who did their interview already, what kind of questions did they ask?
Hey what's your stats when applying!

Received the acceptance letter:soexcited: .... Does anyone know how many people they accepted and how many scholarships they offer...I'm just wondering what options we have in order to not take the whole 30k loan.:nailbiting: Congratulations to the ones who got in ..See you on the Orientation day!:)
Hey whats your stats while applying!

when i interviewed i asked about financial aid opportunities and they told me about the scholarship. i was awarded a scholarship and now im having trouble deciding where to go

3.0 sGPA and 3.2 aGPA. I tutor underserved kids, UCSD free clinic (4 years), volunteer in 3 different clinics in Mexico. I assist in cataract surgery and dental work in Mexico. I also had some dramatic events happen while at UCSD that affected my academic standing. They ask in the interview if anything happened to affect your grades and could have prevented you from applying to medical school. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
3.6 aGPA and 3.4 sGPA. Also have experience in the clinical setting as a MA for the last 3 years and have been on a few medical mission trips to Central America.
With stats like that why spend time doing a post bacc?

3.1 sGPA, 3.1 cGPA. I have volunteered in a clinical setting since i was in 10th grade and have been employed in an ER for the last 2.5 years for approximately 32 hours a week. Like @gmoreno2 i also had some personal experiences that limited my academic success but definitely showed an upward trend. my 1st and 2nd year undergrad gpa is a 2.7 and 3rd and 4th year gpa is a 3.6.

personally, i think theyre looking for people who have kind of figured out how to succeed already, they just need the opportunity to apply those skills to prove their growth. unfortunately i dont think im going to end up picking ucsd though...

Members don't see this ad :)
3.1 sGPA, 3.1 cGPA. I have volunteered in a clinical setting since i was in 10th grade and have been employed in an ER for the last 2.5 years for approximately 32 hours a week. Like @gmoreno2 i also had some personal experiences that limited my academic success but definitely showed an upward trend. my 1st and 2nd year undergrad gpa is a 2.7 and 3rd and 4th year gpa is a 3.6.

personally, i think theyre looking for people who have kind of figured out how to succeed already, they just need the opportunity to apply those skills to prove their growth. unfortunately i dont think im going to end up picking ucsd though...
How come unfortunately?

I forgot to mention that I called Amie about when she would know how many spots they would have available for waitlisters and she said the 15th (today).

I believe people who were wait listed will be informed after today. I only assume that because yesterday was the last day to reserve your spot.

Last edited:
I believe people who were wait listed will be informed if they got in today. I only assume that because yesterday was the last day to reserve your spot.
Nothing so far. If I don’t hear anything today I will call tomorrow and find out if there were any spots available.

I just emailed Amie to ask her when waitlisted folks can expect a response. I’ll follow up with her answer.

Any waitlisted people on this thread hear anything yet?

Yeah. I had planned on calling her today but my feeling is that if she isn’t going to respond to emails she’s not going to give me any new information by phone either

Ugh, so the waiting and uncontrolable persperation continues.

Grrrreeaaattt

Hmmm at this point I’m going to assume they already extended offers or did not touch the waitlist.

I know that for sure 1 person rejected the offer, so there is at least 1 spot open.

I know that for sure 1 person rejected the offer, so there is at least 1 spot open.

Very possible. But could it have been that they extended more offers (like, say 40 for 30-32 anticipated spots) and that accounts for people denying offers? And waitlist is last resort to fill up space

Very possible. But could it have been that they extended more offers (like, say 40 for 30-32 anticipated spots) and that accounts for people denying offers? And waitlist is last resort to fill up space

I believe they just give offers to 30 people, and if one rejects it then they go by who is first on the wait list. There is still plenty of time since orientation is not until June 28. That is my belief, but I am not 100% sure.

i declined their offer a few days ago! i hope someone on the waitlist gets the opportunity to join! best of luck to you all :)

Hi all, I just got an email that all spots in the program have been filled.

I wish you luck to everyone that did not get accepted this year. What I think helped me was all the underserved volunteer work I took part in. Just a little food for thought.

ive gotten into a few other programs and i think im gonna go with one of them. its been difficult but i think ive made the right choice :)
Where else have you applied and if you don't mind which school have you accepted!

I wish you luck to everyone that did not get accepted this year. What I think helped me was all the underserved volunteer work I took part in. Just a little food for thought.
I have a 3.32 cGPA and a 3.1 sGPA, I have family who live in San Diego and I was born, raised, and graduated college in California! I've done a lot of international volunteering (medical, teaching English Spain/Greece, Refugee work in Greece, Shadowing healthcare professionals in South Africa, etc.) I've also had a lot of clinical/hospital volunteering here in California and I'm looking to do a post bacc program. UCSD is my best shot because I know a lot of programs outside of CA want you to be residents/have strong tie connections in their state and I'm getting kind of flustered for the fact that its so hard to get in to any school if you aren't a resident at that school's state. Any advise or recommendations?

I noticed that the application for 2019 opened on Sep 1, 2018. Is the admission rolling-based? Is there any advantage to applying right now versus in December, for example?

I was placed on the waitlist for an interview for this 2018-19 application cycle...how many of you had success getting an interview off of the waitlist last year? And if you didn't get into the program, what did you end up doing instead?

I noticed that the application for 2019 opened on Sep 1, 2018. Is the admission rolling-based? Is there any advantage to applying right now versus in December, for example?
No it's not rolling. The only advantage would be if you had issues submitting or compiling documents.

I was placed on the waitlist for an interview for this 2018-19 application cycle...how many of you had success getting an interview off of the waitlist last year? And if you didn't get into the program, what did you end up doing instead?
Same, I was placed on Waitlist too... not too sure when to hear back of if theyll even pull from the waitlist? Anyone that got in from the waitlist?

Same, I was placed on Waitlist too... not too sure when to hear back of if theyll even pull from the waitlist? Anyone that got in from the waitlist?

Amie told me that we should hear back "no later than April 15," which I believe is the deadline for accepting or declining an invitation to join the program...? Didn't you also apply last year, though? So what did you end up doing during this gap year?

Also, I have no idea if they'll pull from the waitlist as well :(. Which is why I was hoping people here might know the likelihood of that from last year's results.

Amie told me that we should hear back "no later than April 15," which I believe is the deadline for accepting or declining an invitation to join the program...? Didn't you also apply last year, though? So what did you end up doing during this gap year?

Also, I have no idea if they'll pull from the waitlist as well :(. Which is why I was hoping people here might know the likelihood of that from last year's results.

I didn't apply last year :( I was too late for the deadline but I'm just scared that they won't pull from the wait list... so I guess we'll just have to wait and see! I got my Medical Assistant certification and I've been working side jobs to get the bills paid/still get experience. Im hoping for something for the fall through, but if not, then there's always next year!

I didn't apply last year :( I was too late for the deadline but I'm just scared that they won't pull from the wait list... so I guess we'll just have to wait and see! I got my Medical Assistant certification and I've been working side jobs to get the bills paid/still get experience. Im hoping for something for the fall through, but if not, then there's always next year!

Yeah I dont know why people would turn down an offer to join this program :(
Where did you find that Medical Assistant certificate program application...?