UCs comparisions

pie741

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a sophomore more in hs and i was wondering about UCs. what UC do you think is "best" for pre-med as undergrad? if you could, can you compare the pros and cons of the UC to get a better picture.

p.s. live in SD

Members don't see this ad.

Going to one particular UC doesn't help you get into medical school. As long as you do well and get a good GPA, you'll be a good applicant.

For example, let's say you went to Berkeley (using Berkeley because it's the oldest of all UC's) and get a 3.0, but you went to Merced (newest UC) and you got a 3.8. Well, the admissions committee will like the GPA from Merced because it's higher. Now, if you compare a Berkeley 3.8 vs Merced 3.8, admissions committee will like the 3.8 from Berkeley because they know how hard it is to do well at Berkeley.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about what school will give you a better chance. Rather, go to the school that will help you do well in school. You're still in HS. Just study and do well in HS first, then do well in college. Take it one day at a time and enjoy yourself because becoming a doctor is a very long process. Good luck! Ask more questions!

If you live in SD, go to UCSD unless you want to get away. Then go wherever you want. You can get into any school from any UC.

All UCs are really big (except for Merced), have challenging courses, and the ability to get you into medical school.

Go to the one that is right for you (in terms of cost, location, weather, ect) and work hard.