UCONN post bac Spring 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Valence23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to UCONN postbac for Spring 2008? The deadline was Oct 1 so I just wanted to see if anyone has heard anything back as of yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Me too...I am thinking of calling this week..I tried calling a few weeks back but it just goes to Dr. Sanford's voicemail..

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeh, I have read that the program is pretty competitive to get into..the first news would probably be to get an email for an interview...the thing is that since its for Spring admission so i would imagine it wouldnt take longer than a month or so to hear back

Like less than 5, unfortunately...they usually only let in like 15 for the fall...thats what i've read on the forums here, hopefully thats not really the case though..

Do a search for Uconn postbac in the search field..there have been a few people who went there and gave some advice and tips (they also talk about apps and admissions rates)....they can give you a good idea of where you stand

I am so glad I found this forum. I have been wondering why I have not heard anything yet. I didnt think it would take more than a month to hear acceptance/rejection.

I have been thinking about calling or emailing as well... but I decided against it.

Have any of you done interviews for schools before?

Members don't see this ad :)
According to some of the 2003/04 posts, I've read that CT students are slightly at and advantage compared to out-of-state students.

I guess we are all waiting to hear back...it shouldnt be longer than a month or so, especially since it is for spring admission as well..

Im still waiting too... I feel like it's been forever

would it be inappropriate to call them? or email the woman who sent us the "application complete" email?

I'm a little worried now because I never received an "application complete" e-mail. I think I'll call someone tomorrow.

I sent an e-mail yesterday but I'm still waiting. If I don't receive a response today, then I'll call him directly on Monday morning.

Let me know who e-mailed you that your application was complete and I'll also send them an e-mail while I'm waiting for Sanford.

Yeh I am beginning to get worried since none of us have heard anything at all back..good or bad....maybe they have decided not to take anyone for Spring? hence the reason why no one is answering our inqueries..who knows

I was told that Sanford has not started interviewing. No one has been contacted yet.

I am really surprised they have not started interviews, its already november! although, it makes me feel a little better.

Did she tell you when you should look for a letter/ phone call?

Will either of you be needing apt/housing in the area, or are you local?

I would need housing too. I was looking at apartmentguide.com and rent.com. Some places they show in the area are obviously for undergrad uconn students and look like real holes. But there is one apt building in ashford that looks decent.

(I know im going a little beyond myself seeing that I havent even been accepted yet but I though it was a good idea to give it a look)

No, I think thats a good idea..How expensive are the places around campus? I am assuming they are probably not very nice but really expensive..It doesnt seem like there is many choices around Storrs as well..

They are nothing to write home about, they seem to run around $800/mo. Which is cheap considering apts in my town are about $1200. I think they make them somewhat affordable to students, especially for those who dont mind bunking up with others.

Oh ok...are you guys going to apply for the BGS program for financial aid?

well i def. need the financial aid. I already filled out a FAFSA and had it sent to uconn because i was worried i wouldnt get funding as sallie and fannie dont have any money anymore! But I am not so sure what the BGS thing is all about...

I called uconns financial aid and they told me they can not see if i have been awarded money until i am accepted (they dont have me in the system)

Do you know how to go about it

I don't know about sallie and freddie and their cash problem but in order to apply for financial aid, you have to be in a degree granting program...the post bacc program doesnt reward a degree..the bgs (bachelors of general studies) is like the vehicle to get financial aid..Check it out here: http://medicine.uchc.edu/prospective/postbac/index.html

I'm wondering if going into BGS is worth my trouble. I know I'm going to have to pay something out of pocket, but how much less would it really be by doing BGS? That's additional courses. Anyhow, I'm thinking too far into the game --- first things first --- and that is to be accepted.

you have to take additional courses if you apply for financial aid in the BGS?

I know what you mean, not thinking too far ahead, but at the same time (hopefully with accetance) I dont want to be in the dark ... last minute, as it seems we will be notified without much time to do our homework.

I think so..they might make an exception for students in the post-bac program though I am not sure...i am still kind of surprised we still havent heard anything..do either of you know when school starts in jan? it must start very late since they still havent given us any update let alone interview invites

I got my rejection letter today...

Good luck !

Hey WhoKnew,

Sorry to hear..I still havent heard anything from them. I emailed Lynda about a day ago and still have not heard a response so I am assuming its probably going to be a rejection. What do you think you are going to do? Take classes through Uconn and apply again?

Yeah, that is sad to hear WhoKnew. However, UConn is not the only Post-Bacc out there. I considered others but figured I'll just apply to one school and if I get in --- Great but if I don't --- we'll I have a few backup plans. I'll let you know either way when I hear back from UConn. Were they detailed in the letter? What are your alternative plans?

Thanks guys,
They didnt really give a lot of information just that after careful consideration they decided against me. :(
I plan on applying to MSW and MFT program for the fall. I really want to start my career. I feel that if I still want to do psyciatry (which I do) I can always reapply. Just a bump in the road!
I looked into a few other programs i def. can not afford Columbia ($1200/credit)....

I look forward to hearing about you guys!!

One while I had considered Creighton University because the successful post baccalaureate student is guaranteed a seat in the next fall entering class at their school of Medicine. You are also given a minimum scholarship of $10,000 per year. However, one requirment is that you have to had applied to and have been denied entry into, an LCME accredited allopathic medical school. My thought was if I do not get accepted into UConn Post-Bacc to later in April that the MCAT and apply to a medical school. If denied then apply to of of those many programs that requires a student to have been denied admission to med school. Check out the link below.

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/GetProgs.cfm

Manhattanville College Post-Bacc: $700 per credit
Requirements for admission to the PBPH program:
1) An earned Undergraduate degree
2) Minimum Undergraduate Cumulative GPA of 2.0
3) Submission of PBPH Application
4) Submission of official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions attended.
**Please note, letters of recommendation, personal statements and resumes, while welcome, are not required as part of the PBPH application.

They will begin accepting applications for Summer and Fall 2009 enrollment beginning March 1, 2009.

Yeh I got my rejection letter today...This is the first communication I've had with Dr. Sanford or any of the people running program following my phone calls and emails. It pretty much just says that they had about 50 apps for the cycle and that they can only take a certain number. I think I will email Dr. Sanford so I can maybe get a little better insight into their selections and what it takes. Saved56, you are the last one left, good luck!!! Let us know what happens.

Valence23, I'm very disappointed. Yeah, I'm yet to hear from someone and now I'm even more nervous. I was really hoping that we could all have been accepted, wishful thinking. What are your backup plans? Let us know what Sanford has to say. And I will definitely share the news when I hear something. I'm wondering how many out of the 50 app are they accepting?

Last edited:
I am thinking of just taking classes at Uconn...I have to see if its even worth it though because I could probably just attend a graduate school rather than just take classes for a second bachelors degree..I am going to contact Sanford and see what he says and then I will either apply for the BGS program there or start looking at graduate schools..