UConn (Full Ride) vs. NYU (WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dguirg95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Yall, I posted a thread earlier with a few schools, but I have narrowed down to these two options and am still a little torn. I was offered a full tuition and fees scholarship at UConn and am currently on the WL at NYU. My main concern here is will NYU provide me with opportunities that UConn won't? Or am I just as competitive out of UConn for residencies. I am interested in some competitive residencies (Rad onc, plastics, ENT, Neurosurg). I am open to academic medicine but do not want to be exclusively in academic medicine.

UConn

Pros
-Awesome facilities (their virtual anatomy lab and the Jackson labs are really cool)
-Small class size (like 100-115) allows for more personal connections, more opportunities in labs and the hospital
-curriculum (kinda pro kinda con) they eliminated lectures and are entirely PBL, which means I have to go to class, but i think this system will keep me on top of my work with quizzes several times a week and TBL sessions.
-Great residency match, especially this past year (not sure how much this matters)
-full ride

Cons
-location, i dont love the location and ive been in CT for 4 years and kinda wanted to leave
-curriculum (not sure yet if its a pro or con, hard to predict)
-patient population/clinical experiences probably not nearly as impressive as Bellevue
-rank? (not sure if relevent)

NYU

Pros
-Curriculum (1.5 year preclinical, then clinical, then step) I think clinical before step 1 is an advantage
-location is PRIME in NYC, right on the east river, diverse patient population
-bellevue is one of the best hospitals in the country
-rank (?)
-they obviously match very well
-very good home residency programs

Cons
-very expensive especially when considering cost of living in NYC
thats the only Con I think.

Will NYU give me enough of a better chance at competitive specialties that its worth turning down a full ride if I get in? Or should I take the money? Will UConn be fine assuming I do well on Step and all that

thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Bellevue is a perfectly respectable hospital and provides great clinical opportunities for medical students at NYU, but I would say that NYU Langone (Tisch, etc.) is one of the best hospitals in the country, not Bellevue. Same outcome for NYU students, of course.

And yes, NYU will provide you with better opportunities for dermatology and plastic surgery, if for no other reason than for the strength of those programs at NYU (some of the very top in the country). Unless financials are drastically different I would definitely gun for NYU.

Bellevue is a perfectly respectable hospital and provides great clinical opportunities for medical students at NYU, but I would say that NYU Langone (Tisch, etc.) is one of the best hospitals in the country, not Bellevue. Same outcome for NYU students, of course.

And yes, NYU will provide you with better opportunities for dermatology and plastic surgery, if for no other reason than for the strength of those programs at NYU (some of the very top in the country). Unless financials are drastically different I would definitely gun for NYU.

Thanks, financials are drastically different. Like I said I got a full ride at UConn, NYU I will likely not get any scholarships coming off the waitlist. Does this change anything?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is one of those questions only you can answer for yourself. You can make a compelling argument for either choice, so you just have to go with your heart. Your career will probably be fine either way.