UCLA vs UCSD vs SDSU for pre physical therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CB917

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so blessed to have been accepted to all 3 schools for the fall of 2014; however, I am now having an incredibly difficult time deciding which college to attend. My future goals are to obtain my DPT through a great graduate program and also become a physical therapist. I never knew that I would have such a difficult time deciding what college I would end up going to until I actually received my acceptance letters from UCLA, UCSD, and SDSU. As much I would love to attend UCLA or UCSD I personally do not feel that I am ready to go up against such cutthroat, competitive, and incredibly smart people. My high school does not offer any AP classes, but I have taken 4 college classes through CSUDH. Not only does my high school not offer AP classes, it does not offer physics or calculus so I have no taken either of those classes. I feel that the only reason I was accepted in to UCLA and UCSD is because the standards at my school are low and because of that I have been able to receive all A's throughout my high school career and stay ranked number 1. I know that UC's look very closely at school ranking. If I do go to UCLA my major would be integrative biology and physiology and at UCSD it would be physiology and neuroscience, both of which will be filled with competitive pre-med students. If I go to SDSU I will be a kinesiology major with an emphasis in pre-physical therapy. I am worried that if I go to a UC my gpa will suffer, I will not stand out against my peers, and I will have a harder time getting in to a good grad program. If I go to SDSU I will probably be able to maintain a great gpa while also performing well against my peers. HELP!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to UCSD. Pretty difficult. I didn't do very well and it's hurting me now.

All DPT programs care about is your cGPA and prereqGPA. Go to SDSU, get good grades, get into PT school.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to UCSD. Pretty difficult. I didn't do very well and it's hurting me now.

All DPT programs care about is your cGPA and prereqGPA. Go to SDSU, get good grades, get into PT school.

Thank you so much!! :) You really have no idea how much I appreciate your input. I have been hearing so many different things from teachers and my parents that it's nice to hear an opinion from somebody outside of them.
I have a few teachers telling me that whatever I set my mind to I can achieve because I've displayed that all throughout high school. But do I really want to spend four years of my life going up against pre-med students and having no life? I value my education and that has always come first, but I'd like to breathe too! I would love to attend UCLA and UCSD because let's be honest, who doesn't want to go to either of those schools, let alone turn down an acceptance? But once again, thank you for your comment. It definitely makes me feel better about leaning towards SDSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly just play it smart.

A lot of people took ALL their prereqs at a JC or CC. They got high GPA, got into DPT program. If you can do well at UCSD or UCLA, then go for it. You get opportunities you may not get elsewhere for research, sure, but only if you want to do it. However, no program will see a 3.0 GPA from UCSD with a biology focus, and go "well, it's UCSD, it's harder, so it's actually like a 3.5 elsewhere." Nope, if you get a 3.0 GPA kiss your PT career goodbye for the most part.

Honestly just play it smart.

A lot of people took ALL their prereqs at a JC or CC. They got high GPA, got into DPT program. If you can do well at UCSD or UCLA, then go for it. You get opportunities you may not get elsewhere for research, sure, but only if you want to do it. However, no program will see a 3.0 GPA from UCSD with a biology focus, and go "well, it's UCSD, it's harder, so it's actually like a 3.5 elsewhere." Nope, if you get a 3.0 GPA kiss your PT career goodbye for the most part.

And that's what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to be strategic about every move I make. It's crazy to think that I'm not even college yet and I'm already thinking about grad school and DPT programs. To hear first hand that no program will even see a 3.0 from UCSD with a focus in bio is pretty much what I needed to hear. I've been going back and forth and having such an intense internal struggle with the idea that I know I could get through a UCSD or UCLA but the sacrifices I would have to make would be huge. I have heard horror stories about students in UC science majors where they literally do not leave their room or the library because all they do is study. Yeah, kudos to them, but as much as I value my education and I want to succeed, I also want to experience life and make mistakes, not just study.

You're already one step ahead of the competition if you're planning this early.

I didn't know squat about what I wanted to do, but I chose a physiology major anyway. I pulled all-nighters studying, I lived in physiology lab, but all I could manage were Bs and Cs. I go finish up the prereqs at JCs, As without any curve, easy.

UC students are cut-throat, most of them want to do med school and will step over you and kill you if they can get one more point higher than you do. Also, at JCs the professors actually give a **** about teaching. The UC professors are there to do research and teach on the side. They know their stuff, sure, but they're not trained to teach it, so it's a lot of self studying.

As a UCLA alumni and someone who is starting PT school in the fall I would say DEFINITELY go to UCLA. It is a very well rounded school academically, socially, its in a good area, its a football school, not to mention the campus is beautiful. You have soooooo many resources there. You can get a volunteer position in a lab and get a great letter of rec from a professor that way ( which is what I did). There are lots of different clubs. Some social, some academic. Lots of classes are podcasted, especially in the more popular majors. There are lots of events held in which you can do networking. Lots of resources you have for counseling and such. No matter which school you go to you are going to have to study. I took most of my pre reqs at a CC and believe me it wasn't easy. They are still science classes no matter what school you go to. They still take time to study for. And if you are REALLY worried about not doing well in your classes I suggest that you take a nonscience major and then take your pre reqs in addition to it. I decided after I graduated that I wanted to go into PT, I was a psych major. Have you done a campus visit yet? Definitely do so. Feel free to message me if you would like

I'm also biased for UCLA! But, if you're worried, there is nothing wrong with 2 years at a CC. Do good and obtain a transfer contract with UCLA (depends on your CC - so research!) and finish off at a UC.

I am so blessed to have been accepted to all 3 schools for the fall of 2014; however, I am now having an incredibly difficult time deciding which college to attend. My future goals are to obtain my DPT through a great graduate program and also become a physical therapist. I never knew that I would have such a difficult time deciding what college I would end up going to until I actually received my acceptance letters from UCLA, UCSD, and SDSU. As much I would love to attend UCLA or UCSD I personally do not feel that I am ready to go up against such cutthroat, competitive, and incredibly smart people. My high school does not offer any AP classes, but I have taken 4 college classes through CSUDH. Not only does my high school not offer AP classes, it does not offer physics or calculus so I have no taken either of those classes. I feel that the only reason I was accepted in to UCLA and UCSD is because the standards at my school are low and because of that I have been able to receive all A's throughout my high school career and stay ranked number 1. I know that UC's look very closely at school ranking. If I do go to UCLA my major would be integrative biology and physiology and at UCSD it would be physiology and neuroscience, both of which will be filled with competitive pre-med students. If I go to SDSU I will be a kinesiology major with an emphasis in pre-physical therapy. I am worried that if I go to a UC my gpa will suffer, I will not stand out against my peers, and I will have a harder time getting in to a good grad program. If I go to SDSU I will probably be able to maintain a great gpa while also performing well against my peers. HELP!!!

I am a Physical Therapist. I went to UCLA and majored in Biology. I worked 2 jobs part-time. It was not easy, but it was possible. It sounds like you really need to see if you can handle a science-based caseload. An undergraduate science degree at UCLA/UCSD, Harvard, wherever is a 'piece of cake' when it comes to a graduate course of study in the sciences (like PT school). PT school is not easy. The average caseload at UCLA/UCSD is 12-15 units per quarter. My average caseload in PT school was 15-20 units per semester. In PT school ALL of your courses are science-based with a few exceptions. This means that you will not have 'fluff' classes like art history (as you do in an undergrad program) to make things easier. I recommend you take a challenging science course at a community college before you leave for your college of choice.

As for which school to choose I recommend UCLA because you have more opportunities post-graduation with this school. UCSD is great, but their reach only extends to southern California. If you ever leave the state not too many people will know of UCSD (despite what UCSD alums tell you). I don't know much of the academics at SDSU, but people recognize the school because of it's athletics program. You will have to decide what city size suits you, distance from family, cost of living, etc., etc. works for you. As far as getting into PT school. None of these schools will help your chances. The easier course of study will be at SDSU. But I recommend you challenge yourself by attending a competitive school. If you end up at SDSU you will spend the rest of your life telling people how you got into UCLA/UCSD but didn't accept the offers for 'xyz' reason. Your undergraduate field of study is irrelevant to PT schools. Your pre-req GPA will matter the most. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
sdsu because it offers an athletic training degree which allows you to sit for the BOC athletic training exam at the end of your senior year giving you the opportunity to become a certified athletic trainer. A undergraduate degree in biology can only provide you a limited amount of skills where as becoming an ATC can not only give you a set back job if PT doesnt work out, but can also allow you to better market yourself in the future. plus, as an athletic training major, (that is also pre-physical therapy) you will learn more hands on skills related to musculoskeletal injuries and it also puts more emphasis on learning the anatomy and physiology in comparison to biology.

either way i definitely recommend SDSU (far less competition than UCLA) and way cheaper

*I was also in the same boat as you were in my senior year of high school. Wanting to become a DPT so badly in my senior year of high school. It was between UC irvine and CSULB. fortunately i met an individual who worked at a PT clinic who informed me that if he could go back in time, he definitely would have majored in athletic training because that allows you to market yourself better by having dual credentials, DPT, ATC, CSCS (as i have mentioned before). i am now in my 3rd year at csulb majoring in athletic training (finished all my pre-reqs at for pt school) and i plan on applying to dpt programs this summer of 2014. As an AT major, i have also been given an opportunity to intern with the Chicago Bears at the training camp, working along side ATCS and their DPTS which i hope will bolster my application.

ONE LAST THING i want to mention about majoring in Athletic training.. YOU GET PRIORITY REGISTRATION! (to fit your schedule working with the athletes and their injuries) meaning you dont have to have the fear of not graduating in four years.

Another UCLA alumni chiming in here. UCLA all the way! Best four years of my life :)

I went to UCLA and the sciences are no joke. However, being a student at UCLA was probably the best time of my life. If I were you, I would probably major is something easier like psychology or sociology and take the prereqs on the side or after graduation at a community college. UCLA also has majors like psychobiology and anthropology (BS) that contain easier classes but also have the main sciences (i.e biology, chemistry, physics).

With that being said, you can't go wrong with either of those school; you will be getting a great education regardless. Here's how I view the schools based on experience and word of mouth from other students.

UCLA: Great social life and intense competitive academics (almost all science grades are based on a curve)

UCSD: Minimal social life and intense competitive academics (similar to UCLAs)

SDSU: Great social life and good grades are easier to come by (I never went here, but this is what I've heard from other students)

Good luck with your choice!

You should really go check each school out for yourself before making any decisions. Each campus has a different "feel" to it so you should make sure that you are comfortable with the surroundings. Even more, go sit in on a class that you'll have to take so you get that classroom experience. Also, UCLA and UCSD have huge campuses, SDSU you can get across in 15 min tops.

I personally went to SDSU and through their athletic training program and it was phenomenal. There were a lot of students that went for PT and PA, went through the AT program. In fact, one of them asked about doing pre-pt and they told him he had a better shot by doing AT then applying for PT. In fact, he just finished his orthopedic residency and took the exam for it. What you really get is a lot, a lot, of hands on experience and learning to identify and make decisions on your own. Since California is the only state without any ATC regulation you are able to get better hands on experience without the "oh you can't do that yet." On the priority registration I don't think we actually do that, but all your classes once you're in are in the morning so your time in the afternoon and evening are spent at your clinical site which include SDSU, UCSD, USD and a few of the surrounding CCs. You rotate through so you get experience at each collegiate level. All in all it's a lot of fun and I highly recommend it, or at least someway to get hands on experience, not just "observation."

Oh and SDSU has their own PT program, so you can get to know their faculty for 4 years before applying.

I went to UCLA and the sciences are no joke. However, being a student at UCLA was probably the best time of my life. If I were you, I would probably major is something easier like psychology or sociology and take the prereqs on the side or after graduation at a community college. UCLA also has majors like psychobiology and anthropology (BS) that contain easier classes but also have the main sciences (i.e biology, chemistry, physics).

With that being said, you can't go wrong with either of those school; you will be getting a great education regardless. Here's how I view the schools based on experience and word of mouth from other students.

UCLA: Great social life and intense competitive academics (almost all science grades are based on a curve)

UCSD: Minimal social life and intense competitive academics (similar to UCLAs)

SDSU: Great social life and good grades are easier to come by (I never went here, but this is what I've heard from other students)

Good luck with your choice!

Spot on. I had no social life at USCD and I didn't get good grades either. I suck.