UCLA vs Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyborg#0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community, I got into my dream schools Ucla and Columbia but I am on the fence between the two programs.

Both are on a H/P/F grading system, and both have reputable faculty and research programs.

Yes, there are differences, namely the price tag and lifestyle preference (i.e. west coast vs east coast), but I was looking for input from current students and alumni who might have insight on distinguishing factors of these two schools in the fields of academics, clinical training, alumni support, student camaraderie, or specialization success rate... basically, items not related to price tag or lifestyle (I'm from LA but have been living in NYC for the last 6yrs).

Thanks in advance fam

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Both schools have fantastic specialization success rates. I would probably say Columbia more so than UCLA... simply because I hear 4th years talking about their interview trail in OS being that there were "so many people from Columbia named John everywhere I went"

You should take into consideration where you want to practice in the future since it will help you set up networks for referrals in the future. Also, look the school if there is any problem getting patients. Class size might matter as well. In terms of alumni support, UCLA probably has strong alumni rep in Cali. NYU probably has more alumni rep than Columbia, just my guess.

Personally, I would choose UCLA simply because of weather. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I should also note to look into their curriculum. Columbia seems to integrate a lot of medicine in their curriculum and they take their classes with the med students(?) which may help you a lot when taking the CBSE if you plan on going into OS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both schools have fantastic specialization success rates. I would probably say Columbia more so than UCLA... simply because I hear 4th years talking about their interview trail in OS being that there were "so many people from Columbia named John everywhere I went"

You should take into consideration where you want to practice in the future since it will help you set up networks for referrals in the future. Also, look the school if there is any problem getting patients. Class size might matter as well. In terms of alumni support, UCLA probably has strong alumni rep in Cali. NYU probably has more alumni rep than Columbia, just my guess.

Personally, I would choose UCLA simply because of weather. ;)

Thanks for the input. I actually didn't think about referrals and building a network if my future were to be in a specialty. I was leaning toward Columbia because of my wife's current job but I always intended to eventually settle in LA permanently after dental school or residency. But I guess that's a whole other set of questions to consider about building networks in future practice haha

UCLA puts you ahead by 100k. This year they matched 15 into OMS. 4 less than columbia and far cheaper. I would run with UCLA.

You know both places, you know both schools are great.
I would say stay in NYC because you already built a life there, but bear in mind, Columbia is not in the safest or coolest part of the city. while UCLA which I haven't seen but I assume is in a better place.

Leaning toward Columbia with reservation because I love NYC but I mean I had to check the area at night to make sure I can really live there next to campus.
Columbia is an IVY League.
I guess it depends on do you want to settle down in NYC or go back to California, if the latter, then choose UCLA.
Congratulations by the way, what are your stats if you don't mind share them?

Last edited:
Could've sworn residency placement rates is not "lifestyle" or "price". I did include price along with it because that's a bonus. Nice to know you are giving me an attitude just like that, I feel sorry for your future classmates.

Reactions: 22 users
You know both places, you know both schools are great.
I would say stay in NYC because you already built a life there, but bear in mind, Columbia is not in the safest or coolest part of the city. while UCLA which I haven't seen but I assume is in a better place.

Leaning toward Columbia with reservation because I love NYC but I mean I had to check the area at night to make sure I can really live there next to campus.
Columbia is an IVY League.
I guess it depends on do you want to settle down in NYC or go back to California, if the latter, then choose UCLA.
Congratulations by the way, what are your stats if you don't mind share them?

UCLA is in a nice part of town from my understanding (visited/having talked to LA based pre-dents).

OP honest truth is both schools are so close in terms of outcomes that it's hard to differentiate on anything but price and lifestyle. Columba historically was weaker clinically but as of recent they have been ramping that up (As I am sure you were told during the interview). If you were leaning more towards being a GP AND you want to be based in California, it would be a smart move to head out West now and start planting the seeds for your future career.

Both schools are great. Columbia has a brand new state of the art clinic opening up this August. Is it worth the 100k maybe, maybe not. The extra debt may be an issue but it all depends on what you are looking for. Assuming you got into both, you have nothing to be upset about if you end up attending either school

I would choose UCLA because I feel sorry for the Columbia kids I know who have to be your classmates.

Thanks for the input. I actually didn't think about referrals and building a network if my future were to be in a specialty. I was leaning toward Columbia because of my wife's current job but I always intended to eventually settle in LA permanently after dental school or residency. But I guess that's a whole other set of questions to consider about building networks in future practice haha

If you plan to settle in LA, I would choose UCLA. You'll make more connections in your city/homestate.

This is a no-brainer if you receive in-state tuition to UCLA.

Congratulations! Two top schools; you really can't go wrong with either school. Columbia integrates their curriculum with the medical schools so if you're looking to specialize this might give you a slight edge. That's pretty much the only difference I can think of. Otherwise, we have to look at other factors such as lifestyle and cost which would depend on your personal preference.

He's got omfs written all over him.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! Two top schools; you really can't go wrong with either school. Columbia integrates their curriculum with the medical schools so if you're looking to specialize this might give you a slight edge. That's pretty much the only difference I can think of. Otherwise, we have to look at other factors such as lifestyle and cost which would depend on your personal preference.
Thanks for the input, but check the thread date. OP made his/her decision a year ago.