UCLA RE-APPLICANT PROGRAM -URGENT- Interview next week!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chalo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so I wanted to know if someone can tell me how the UCLA re-applicant program intreview questions were like? I also would like to know if you are a UCLA re-applicant program alumni how was the program and did you get into medical school after completing the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Since this is double posted thought it was appropriate for postbacc and re-app threads...

After getting tons of PM's from your fellow applicants, here is what I've sent to some of you, which I hope will be helpful...

Good luck on your coming interview!! I did the entire RAP program and submitted all applications and in fact, I'm ecstatic to say I got into UCLA Med, my eternal dream school!!

This program is definitely life changing if you put all your heart and energy into it... My friend Rosemary who was also in my RAP class (2004) just got into UCLA Med as well.

I recommend you know your application backwards and forwards and really understand and be able to communicate about activities you have chosen and reasons the prior app was not successful. Be able to communicate your disadvantage (minority, educational or financial). Importantly, be able to communicate why you are going into medicine, how you became interested and what makes you passionate about it...

Other questions: where you grew up, about undergraduate experiences, also about family. I think a few characteristics you may want to emphasize/demonstrate in your interviews are personal confidence, dedication, compassion, leadership qualities, and respect. Just relax, and answer each question without the preconceived notion that everything you say has to be perfect, because it doesn't.

Some other questions I have also rec'd:

Actually interviews are hard to come by, during my year they had quite a few applicants, but did not interview all. So, yes, it is a big deal to get the interview, Congrats!!!

Also be prepared to retake your MCAT if your numbers were not as hot as you'd like them to be. I took them a third time and improved even more! Most people need help with a little of everything, GPA, MCAT, extracurric. activities, volunteering, study skills/time management, etc...

In reapplication, in my case I had to improve on my GPA and MCAT (had tons of clinical exp already)... Most people have things to improve on, so one would gain nothing by applying the next cycle. We all sat out one cycle while doing our one year of full time academic course work, which is also called a "gap" or "glide" year, which makes the whole thing 2 years from the start of RAP to starting med school if youre lucky enough to get in. From what I understand, RAP has nearly a 100% success rate of acceptance into a med school, though not necessarily UCLA.

In 2004, everyone happened to be from California, but not sure about this year in terms of out of staters.

In terms of number of students that got in, in my year there was 4 of us and 2005 there was 8. Not sure how many they are aiming for in 2006, though..

Hope this helps and all the best of luck!!

Kathy
:laugh: :luck: :luck: :luck: :laugh:

First congrats on the interview, that is quite a feat in itself. I joined UCLA RAP in 2004 and I got in to my top choice medical schools because of it. Be ready to be quite honest about your AMCAS application, discuss why you think that you did not gain acceptance to medical school on the last try...no sugar coating. Take ownership of your weakness and past mistakes. Keep in contact with the program until their final decision is made...it shows continued interest. And if you are accepted into the program, be ready to work.
I needed major work GPA, MCAT, Clinical experience and interviewing skills.(the whole deal) I was not too keen about heraing the amount of work I had to get done because I felt that all I needed was a master's degree and I would be fine. I am so glad that I kept my reservations to myslef and listened to what they had to say. I am much better off for it. Congrats again and remember to just be yourself and be honest about your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats great!! congrats.

i have a question about keeping in touch with the program. would you just email them and see whats going on? and do you know when they'll start to let people know if they got into the program? i had an interview with them in march. and i agree, definitely know your application!! and be yourself. thanks!

Since this is double posted thought it was appropriate for postbacc and re-app threads...

After getting tons of PM's from your fellow applicants, here is what I've sent to some of you, which I hope will be helpful...

Good luck on your coming interview!! I did the entire RAP program and submitted all applications and in fact, I'm ecstatic to say I got into UCLA Med, my eternal dream school!!

This program is definitely life changing if you put all your heart and energy into it... My friend Rosemary who was also in my RAP class (2004) just got into UCLA Med as well.

I recommend you know your application backwards and forwards and really understand and be able to communicate about activities you have chosen and reasons the prior app was not successful. Be able to communicate your disadvantage (minority, educational or financial). Importantly, be able to communicate why you are going into medicine, how you became interested and what makes you passionate about it...

Other questions: where you grew up, about undergraduate experiences, also about family. I think a few characteristics you may want to emphasize/demonstrate in your interviews are personal confidence, dedication, compassion, leadership qualities, and respect. Just relax, and answer each question without the preconceived notion that everything you say has to be perfect, because it doesn't.

Some other questions I have also rec'd:

Actually interviews are hard to come by, during my year they had quite a few applicants, but did not interview all. So, yes, it is a big deal to get the interview, Congrats!!!

Also be prepared to retake your MCAT if your numbers were not as hot as you'd like them to be. I took them a third time and improved even more! Most people need help with a little of everything, GPA, MCAT, extracurric. activities, volunteering, study skills/time management, etc...

In reapplication, in my case I had to improve on my GPA and MCAT (had tons of clinical exp already)... Most people have things to improve on, so one would gain nothing by applying the next cycle. We all sat out one cycle while doing our one year of full time academic course work, which is also called a "gap" or "glide" year, which makes the whole thing 2 years from the start of RAP to starting med school if youre lucky enough to get in. From what I understand, RAP has nearly a 100% success rate of acceptance into a med school, though not necessarily UCLA.

In 2004, everyone happened to be from California, but not sure about this year in terms of out of staters.

In terms of number of students that got in, in my year there was 4 of us and 2005 there was 8. Not sure how many they are aiming for in 2006, though..

Hope this helps and all the best of luck!!

Kathy
:laugh: :luck: :luck: :luck: :laugh:
Kathy,

Hello, I am new here and I have a question for you. Did you apply to medical school during the post bac year or did you take a glide year?
If you took a gap year, what did you do?

I am debating whether to apply again while doing the post bac or wait until the next cycle.

8 year necrobump ftw.

Reactions: 1 user