UCF vs VCU (how important is overall feel?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishogwartsamedschool

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've really been struggling deciding between these two schools. I guess I feel like it makes sense to go to UCF - it has great step scores and match lists, it's more affordable, and my family is near by. But for some reason, I fell in love with VCU, and I feel like my heart is there. Coming from a small town undergrad university I was really looking forward to big city life, and I think Richmond is a great first city. Even if you don't have an opinion on these two specifically, if anyone has advice on how much to factor in your overall feel for the school as opposed to just pros and cons, I'd love your help. I know UCF has better results, but I think that if I'm happier at VCU then I'll perform better there despite their averages.

UCF
Pro:
- Instate tuition (30k)
- Great step scores (236-238 past few years)
- Impressive match list
- Brand new facilities (gorgeous anatomy lab)
- Seem incredibly supportive and receptive to the needs of their students
- No teaching hospital means that you get experience in several different hospital
- My entire family lives in Orlando, which could be helpful (Mom could help with laundry and food)
- A/B/C/F grading scale can help distinguish you when trying to match

Cons:
- Only about 10 years old
- Still unranked
- Had a hard time clicking with the other students on interview day and Second Look
- No teaching hospital means having to commute across the city and state to rotations which could be annoying
- Lake Nona is about 30 minutes from downtown, extremely isolated
- I hate Florida
- My entire family lives in Orlando, I may be expected to come to family events that I don't really have time for as a med student
- A/B/C/F grading scale sounds miserable

VCU
Pro:
- Loved the building
- Loved every student and interviewee I met on interview day
- Med school building attached to the teaching hospital, both right downtown
- Love the Virginia area and weather (Yay seasons!)
- Ranked (72 research, 61 primary care)

Cons
- Out of state tuition (48k)
- Step scores not quite as good (230)

Any help/comments are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think overall feel is incredibly important. Medical school is a hard road, and you certainly want to be surrounded by supportive, good people. If you felt that at VCU, I think that's incredibly important to note. I would not focus on the Step 1 averages so much. You can put in just as much study time at either school and score well; I don't think just going to UCF is going to bump up your score. It sounds like VCU is the right choice based on your pros and cons!

Reactions: 1 users
- UCF is ranked as of this year
- Not being near family means not going to things you don’t want to go to, but also not going to things you would want to be present for. Don’t underestimate how you will feel missing things like weddings, health issues, neices/nephews being born. It seems like too many people here on sdn overlook this

Ultimately COA isn’t vastly different and seems like you’ll have better fit at VCU, so it is a good choice if you do decide to go for it imo

Cant beat being close to home in case you ever had to go there. Id pick to stay closer to home and save the money, but both are great schools. Win/win in my opinion

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the overall feel being super important. These are the people you will spend the next four years with so choose the ones where you think you will find the most support. Also if it’s any help, I also didn’t like the vibes from UCF..