UCF vs. UTHSCSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geredithmrey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
At the moment, I've received scholarships from both UCF and UTHSCSA that will leave tuition around the same price.
I'm from Florida, and my S.O. is certified to teach in Florida, and has had some trouble finding jobs in San Antonio.
I like UCF, but I feel that it is still quite new, and does not have the same resources UTHSCSA does.
I like that UTHSCSA has a hospital literally on campus, and that it's well established. I also feel that San Antonio is more of a medical community than Lake Nona (at least for now).
I believe both schools have good STEP 1 averages, I tried looking up UTHSCSA's most recent average, only found a 225 in 2015 on an obscure powerpoint, and found that UCF had an average of 239 in 2015. I realize that my step 1 score will ultimately be a result of my effort and not so much the curriculum, but it still seems like a significant difference.
If anyone can help me with pros/ cons in either direction, I'd appreciate it. :oops::bag:
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay the emoji got me!
Let me tell you some things pros/cons about UCF to help you make a more informed decision. Idk anything about the other school.
Pros:
Amazing Dean, faculty and students that really have a collaborative and good spirited personality. Nyoi have your typical gunners, but it's not like you need an armored vest to be there.
Cheap in state tuition and they offer good $$ for OOS students to make tuition more affordable
Avg Step 238 (top quartile of med schools) only reason I know is because they brag about this.
Anatomy lab includes MRI and Ct scan of your patient so when you do your "autopsy report" at the end of the year you can compare the anatomy, physiology and pathology on site.
Lectures recorded
Near Orlando (DISNEY!!) a lot of first years had annual passes lol
Very receptive to changing curriculum and receiving feedback from students
Tests only every 8-9weeks!!!
Dean German is a god send.

Cons
No teaching hospital (this building one but this doesn't mean much for c/o 2021)
Because of this rotations are scattered throughout central Florida
This also makes Research harder to come by (compared to a school with an established hospital)
Graded curriculum (students say it's not a big deal but let the gunning begin!!!)
Doesn't have the "name" yet... (whatever that means)

All in all: they're building something great over there, it's about 40% what it WILL be in the next 5-10yrs. Do you want to be part of that process? Or would your rather the structure of a more established school (again I know nothing about your other school).

Also REL and UCF are very transparent. Any questions you have, you can call them directly and they'll answer them.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I think if it were based on just the schools, I might learn towards UTHSCSA for many of the reasons you mentioned (established, clinical opportunities, research) and the fact that you seem to like that school better. However, medical school is extremely tough and having a support system cannot be understated. If having your SO try to relocate to TX would be a significant strain on them and thus maybe you and your relationship, I think you should absolutely be giving that consideration. Only you know your relationship and situation (potential to separate for a period of time, difficulty in SO temporarily going without work/securing TX license/job), but I do NOT think making your relationship a significant factor in your decision would be a mistake. Of course, if making a decision solely for your relationship would cause regret/resentment, that should also be something you think about.

Ultimately, while UTHSCSA might be the slightly more well-known and established school, the difference in ranking and prestige is likely negligible and going to UCF would not limit you. There are plenty of research opportunities at UCF and they have more than adequate clinical opportunities. Match lists are almost impossible to judge, but theirs seem to be on a similar level. Go where you think you will be happiest.

Best of luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user