UCD, UCC, Trinity, RCSI...All the same?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamesmtl

Pleonastically Redundant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am just wondering if the education at each school is pretty much the same? I was accepted to UCD and didn't even hear ANYTHING from UCC or Trinity (i didnt apply to RCSI). Are they all pretty much equal? Do any have newer/nicer facilities? Thanks.....I appreciate the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

GO TO UCD. UCD and Trinity are arch-rivals, but they are both accepted as the premiere institutions of Ireland, and they are both well-respected in the USA. RCSI is also excellent, but you'll have far more Irish classmates in UCD and Trinity. (and hence a greater exposure to Irish culture).

The Irish pride themselves in the fact that they don't spoon-feed their Medical students, which means that YOU will have to teach yourself ALOT. DO NOT GO if you are incapable of self-instruction -- I have seen a few Americans become miserable and depressed because they felt as if they were not being taught anything. The resources and the patients are there : The hospitals at all three institutions shall provide you a diverse and excellent patient pathology, but it will be up to you to take advantage of the settings. I received a very high score on my USMLE Step II, indicative of the notion that my Clinical training was sound.

As far as the facilities : they won't come close to matching those of Yale or Penn. But at the end of the day, you're interested in patients, not machinery. Your Ob/GYn experience and Peds experiences at UCD will out-match those of most of your American colleagues. Your fundamentals in Internal Medicine will be well-established in St. Vincents and the Mater (the UCD hospitals). You'll see all the Psych cases you need to see. Your Surgery might not be as high-tech, but you can always make up these perceived deficiencies by doing electives in US hospitals.

When it comes to entering Residencies back in the USA (which is ultimately the MOST important criteria), I would say that all three schools are equally well-regarded.

Hope this helps.

Jamesmtl said:
Hey everyone, I am just wondering if the education at each school is pretty much the same? I was accepted to UCD and didn't even hear ANYTHING from UCC or Trinity (i didnt apply to RCSI). Are they all pretty much equal? Do any have newer/nicer facilities? Thanks.....I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks Avernger! Another question: are you able to explain what is meant by an elective? I read all this stuff on how ppl have to find their own electives in hospitals or something....anyway i'd kinda like to know....ive already accepted UCD for 2006. Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Jamesmtl said:
Thanks Avernger! Another question: are you able to explain what is meant by an elective? I read all this stuff on how ppl have to find their own electives in hospitals or something....anyway i'd kinda like to know....ive already accepted UCD for 2006. Thanks again
At UCC between 4th and 5th year you have to do a clinical elective in a recognized program. Many people arrange to do these back home so they can make contacts. People also frequently fast talk their way into electives earlier than that, or observerships, also to make contacts back home. Congrats on your UCD acceptance. Hope this clarifies this a little,
Med2UCC

Congratulations on your acceptance to UCD. Our friend from UCC was right on the dot about electives. Your school will let you decide your place of education for about three months. In order to get accepted into strong Residencies back in the USA, it is almost mandatory that you spend these three months in American hospitals. (Try the Cleveland Clinic and Mayo Clinic -- these institutions are usually very accommodating with regards to Electives).

In any case, you have plenty of time to sort these affairs out. Your best resources will be the Americans in the years ahead of you at UCD.

Good luck in Dublin. You'll soon learn to love Lyons Tea and Cadbury Chocolates!

Jamesmtl said: