UCD for 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsluke

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to meet other student entering in the 2005 class at UCD.
the two most important things i need for dublin (somewhere to sleep and pay for it) :D

Housing:
Does the university housing, allow couples to sleepover on the weekends? not quite sure on the rules. if not i will need to get a shared flat. :)

Loans:
I just applied for my loans now (finalized my acceptance within the past two weeks). how long will it take to finalize the loans and receive the money?

anyone have prior experience to help me in these things? :rolleyes:

thanks

Luke

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, I got last year's staffords in June, had applied in May - so that didn't take too long. Then I applied for this year's staffords in the beginning of June, and they won't be disbursed until mid-August. So it seems the time is variable. Understandably, all the loans people and probably govt. offices were up to their eyeballs in the mad rush for previous loan recipients to consolidate their loans on July 1st so this could have delayed things. But in general, I'd give 2 months for the loans to clear and be disbursed.

WORD OF CAUTION: if possible, if you're in the US, send your check back home and have someone put it into a home bank account, then wire transfer the money to your Irish account. Checks WILL take 3-6 weeks to clear in the banks here if they come from the US. Because of some stupid security thing, they actually have to send the checks back to the US! One of mine once took more than 6 weeks to clear because they lost it! Wiring costs money, but you'll have it in 3-5 days.

Don't know too much about UCD campuses, but they shouldn't really have too many restrictions. Don't ask, don't tell :) I'd say you'll be fine bringing someone over on the weekends. At Trinity, it's a bit anal because you have to sign in a book every time you want to have a guest. And you have to do it before like 8 pm.

leorl said:
Hmm, I got last year's staffords in June, had applied in May - so that didn't take too long. Then I applied for this year's staffords in the beginning of June, and they won't be disbursed until mid-August. So it seems the time is variable. Understandably, all the loans people and probably govt. offices were up to their eyeballs in the mad rush for previous loan recipients to consolidate their loans on July 1st so this could have delayed things. But in general, I'd give 2 months for the loans to clear and be disbursed.

WORD OF CAUTION: if possible, if you're in the US, send your check back home and have someone put it into a home bank account, then wire transfer the money to your Irish account. Checks WILL take 3-6 weeks to clear in the banks here if they come from the US. Because of some stupid security thing, they actually have to send the checks back to the US! One of mine once took more than 6 weeks to clear because they lost it! Wiring costs money, but you'll have it in 3-5 days.

Don't know too much about UCD campuses, but they shouldn't really have too many restrictions. Don't ask, don't tell :) I'd say you'll be fine bringing someone over on the weekends. At Trinity, it's a bit anal because you have to sign in a book every time you want to have a guest. And you have to do it before like 8 pm.

I read a lot about you, and many of your posts are generally creative (with only some exceptions), no wonder they made you a modie, but i was wondering how much time you find at your disposal as you happen to be online for so many hours bearing in mind you were in your clinical years?

Members don't see this ad :)
leorl said:
Don't know too much about UCD campuses, but they shouldn't really have too many restrictions. Don't ask, don't tell :)

Damn right!

I used to live on campus in UCD, Merville specifically. They officially don't allow overnight guests, but it's not a problem. It's not like they have to check in with security - you have your key to your apartment, and anyone can come and go as they please!

That said, the couches there are like torture devices - designed, some claim, to specifically dissuade people from sleeping on them!

You'll have good fun in Merville - not 5-star accommodation, but great fun...

I'm a bit of an expert when it comes to UCD campus accomodation - I loved there for 3 years - each time at a different residence! I stayed in Belgrove, Roebuck & Glenomena repectively. I never stayed in Merville but I frequently attended parties there.

Each place had its pros and cons, but I think I probably had the most fun in Belgrove. It's only 3 people to a flat, so it's roomier than Merville, and for most people it's usually faster to get to lectures from here. This place is hedonism central and the party heartland of UCD.

In Merville they also like to party hard, and they have the advantage of having the student shop located where they are. Disadvantage - more people to an apartment.

Roebuck... Eh. Not a lot of pros I'm afraid. Hot American girls when I was there; you usually get to know the RA's a little better too. Table tennis in the common room. Cons. Isolated. Worse facilities. Rooms can get very cold at night and very hot during the summer.

Glenomena - State of the art accomodation. 6 people to a flat, en-suite bathrooms. No oven in the apartments though, you'll have to buy your own. Wireless internet access. Much more expensive than the other residences, and quite remote - not as bad as Roebuck though.

dr strangelove said:
I'm a bit of an expert when it comes to UCD campus accomodation - I loved there for 3 years - each time at a different residence! I stayed in Belgrove, Roebuck & Glenomena repectively. I never stayed in Merville but I frequently attended parties there.

Each place had its pros and cons, but I think I probably had the most fun in Belgrove. It's only 3 people to a flat, so it's roomier than Merville, and for most people it's usually faster to get to lectures from here. This place is hedonism central and the party heartland of UCD.

In Merville they also like to party hard, and they have the advantage of having the student shop located where they are. Disadvantage - more people to an apartment.

Roebuck... Eh. Not a lot of pros I'm afraid. Hot American girls when I was there; you usually get to know the RA's a little better too. Table tennis in the common room. Cons. Isolated. Worse facilities. Rooms can get very cold at night and very hot during the summer.

Glenomena - State of the art accomodation. 6 people to a flat, en-suite bathrooms. No oven in the apartments though, you'll have to buy your own. Wireless internet access. Much more expensive than the other residences, and quite remote - not as bad as Roebuck though.
Quick question about living arrangements.

For any of the Ireland schools what sortof married couple arrangements are there if any. In my case my wife will be going as a travel RN so we will have a free flat somewhere near the hospitals but i was wondering in general.

AFAIK in UCD there's no provision in campus accomodation for married couples.

dr strangelove said:
AFAIK in UCD there's no provision in campus accomodation for married couples.

There's none. If you're looking for shared accomodation in the Dublin 4 area (handy for UCD and Vincent's - one of the two main teaching hospitals, which is just down the road) I'd try rooting around on Daft. There's some great deals to be found there!

Roebuck... Eh. Not a lot of pros I'm afraid.

Ya got that right! Roebuck's a dive, plain and simple. Avoid.