UCBSO interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princesspinknes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone gotten any responses from ucbso regarding interviews? I received one today asking for my updated grades, did anyone else get the same? OR EVEN BETTER!! did anyone get an email telling them they got an interview??

Members don't see this ad.

hello my princess, i just wanted to take this time to say...... I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!! who else did??? i'm so elated!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!! okay... can't wait to go to berke w/ ya princess :)

hello my princess, i just wanted to take this time to say...... I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!! who else did??? i'm so elated!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!! okay... can't wait to go to berke w/ ya princess :)
hehehe ur tooo cute

Members don't see this ad :)
YEAH... joining the club... I got an interview:D

I guess most people will be invited for an interview. I hear people just need to meet the requirements.

me too!!! so excited :)
how many people get interviews?

yay congrats everyone =) hopefully i'll be joining you =(

hi everybody! im new on sdn but i'll be at the berkeley interview as well! just wanted to see who else is going so maybe we can all have some familiar faces (screen names) once we get there! :D

Where is everyone staying at or is everyone local?

i got an email for an interview...not sure if i want to go. =|

Members don't see this ad :)
Did most people get their interviews on 12/22? Because I have not received one & am getting real worried :( Does anyone know what date they stop giving interviews? Or is it just when they meet the # of interviewees that they need? Thanks

Did most people get their interviews on 12/22? Because I have not received one & am getting real worried :( Does anyone know what date they stop giving interviews? Or is it just when they meet the # of interviewees that they need? Thanks
i heard that the ppl that got interviews have to rsvp by the 8th, so thats probly the last day. i haven't gotten an interview either but i kno theyre closed until the 3rd so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. good luck!!

really? how come?

hey-b/c my numero uno choice is SCCO; i'm set on going to SCCO, so i don't know if i should even bother going anywhere else. i have interviews lined up for UAB, OSU, and SUNY too that i may just cancel. getting into SCCO was a fvckin relief, you don't even know! :eek:

hey-b/c my numero uno choice is SCCO; i'm set on going to SCCO, so i don't know if i should even bother going anywhere else. i have interviews lined up for UAB, OSU, and SUNY too that i may just cancel. getting into SCCO was a fvckin relief, you don't even know! :eek:
heheh thats awesome! im so happy for you! =)

Well I'm sure those of us awaiting interviews would appreciate it if you (or anyone) would cancel interviews if you've already been admitted to your #1 choice so that spots will open for others to receive interviews :D

So wouldn't they give more interviews on the 8th to fill the spots of the people that did not accept their interview invites? Also, do you know why they asked you for your recent transcript? Because my overall GPA (not including this semester that just ended) was 3.7 & my science GPA was 3.4 however....i didn't have organic 2 & was enrolled in bio 2 & org 1 at the time that I took my oat so i had to spend tons of time learning those topics & unfortunatley my gpa went down really low...the lowest ive ever had...so if they ask for my latest transcript i highly doubt they will give me an interview (i got a b in bio 2 lab, c in bio 2 lecture, and b's in org 1 lecture & lab)...

So wouldn't they give more interviews on the 8th to fill the spots of the people that did not accept their interview invites? Also, do you know why they asked you for your recent transcript? Because my overall GPA (not including this semester that just ended) was 3.7 & my science GPA was 3.4 however....i didn't have organic 2 & was enrolled in bio 2 & org 1 at the time that I took my oat so i had to spend tons of time learning those topics & unfortunatley my gpa went down really low...the lowest ive ever had...so if they ask for my latest transcript i highly doubt they will give me an interview (i got a b in bio 2 lab, c in bio 2 lecture, and b's in org 1 lecture & lab)...
i'm not really sure why they want my most recent transcript, especially since i havent heard of anyone else being asked for theirs. i had a suggestion that maybe it was another way to pre-screen applicants that they don't think want to go there, but who knows..and you're grades arent that bad, mine have been much worse than that so even if they ask you to send it in, i dont think you should worry. if anything you could e-mail them to check on the status of your application on the 3rd when they come back.

The interviews are set on January 27th, from 11-5pm. The latest flight I can get back to my home city is at 6:35pm. For any locals...Will I make it to the San Francisco airport in time if I leave right when interviews end?

Thank you and congratulations. I look forward to meeting everyone! :)

:thumbup: I also received an email on 12/22, so I hopefully I will run into some of you on the 27th. They did mention informally to bring updated transcript if we haven't shown them already.

Does anyone know what the interview might be like? from previous years perhaps?

ahhh no one got a request for updated grades?? i'm so stressing over this!!! =(

Well I'm sure those of us awaiting interviews would appreciate it if you (or anyone) would cancel interviews if you've already been admitted to your #1 choice so that spots will open for others to receive interviews :D
don't trip- will be done. =)

The interviews are set on January 27th, from 11-5pm. The latest flight I can get back to my home city is at 6:35pm. For any locals...Will I make it to the San Francisco airport in time if I leave right when interviews end?

Berkeley to SFO in rush hour traffic.... probably not. (even if you take BART) definitely check flight times into Oakland as well... sometimes they're way cheaper

i think it might be a little tight but you can probably do it :)
if you're staying overnight though, technically won't you already be paying for an extra night at the hotel?...so there's always the option of staying the extra night if you're really worried about time [unless someone is going to be taking your stuff with them while you're at the university...i assume you won't be carrying your overnight bag with you into the interview].

Hi Ma1:

It’s unlikely you will make your flight if you leave at 5:00pm from Berkeley to go to SFO. SFO is located in South San Francisco, and it usually takes me around 45 minutes to 1.5 hours to get to the airport (my dad work around there) from Berkeley depending on traffic. If you are renting a car, you’ll be amazed how many people will be driving into San Francisco during the weekend and the traffic can be terrible on the Bay Bridge.

BART isn’t a great option. The BART station in Downtown Berkeley is not that close to the optometry school. It is about a 15 minute walk and you might take longer if you have some luggage. The time from the Downtown Berkeley stop to SFO is about 50 minutes. From the SFO BART stop, you may still need to take the AirTran shuttle to the appropriate terminal (all domestic flights are around a five to ten minute AirTran ride from the BART station). You will also need to make one transfer to get on the Millbrae train to SFO so you’ll be in trouble if you miss that. In addition, the trains do not come very frequently as compared to metro trains in New York; you could wait up to 10-20 minutes if you miss one.

If you absolutely need to make the 6:35pm flight and you finances won’t allow you to stay an extra night, I would recommend that you contact the admissions office and ask to be placed in a particular interview group. Unless they’ve changed it, all interview applicants are separated into 4 to 5 groups. During the day, you will stay with this group as you circulate between “stations” including a school tour, meeting current students, essay section, and the actual interview. The most important thing for you to accomplish is the interview itself and the essay section. So, I would call Sharon Joyce and tell her your situation, and ask her if you can be placed in the group that will be finished earliest with both the interview and the essay. You will miss out on the more social things, but you’ll at least be in a better position to make your flight.

In addition, you can bring your luggage with you to the interview and it will be safely stored in the admissions office. If you are going to have a taxicab or an airport shuttle pick you up, make sure they get very specific directions to the optometry school. Here is a map that you can fax or e-mail to the driver so they know where exactly to get you --> http://www.caleyecare.com/images/Clinic_Map.gif (Minor Hall)
Also, only bring a carry-on luggage and don’t bring any luggage you will need to check-in. Most major airlines will allow you to check-in to your flight online 24 hours before departure. So, you can find a place such as Kinko’s or an internet café to check-in to your flight and print out your boarding pass. Then, as soon as you get to the airport, you can go straight to the security gate.

And to make a bit easier for you, try to see if you can fly out of Oakland airport instead of San Francisco.

Best of luck,

Rosanna F.

Hi Ma1:

It’s unlikely you will make your flight if you leave at 5:00pm from Berkeley to go to SFO. SFO is located in South San Francisco, and it usually takes me around 45 minutes to 1.5 hours to get to the airport (my dad work around there) from Berkeley depending on traffic. If you are renting a car, you’ll be amazed how many people will be driving into San Francisco during the weekend and the traffic can be terrible on the Bay Bridge.

BART isn’t a great option. The BART station in Downtown Berkeley is not that close to the optometry school. It is about a 15 minute walk and you might take longer if you have some luggage. The time from the Downtown Berkeley stop to SFO is about 50 minutes. From the SFO BART stop, you may still need to take the AirTran shuttle to the appropriate terminal (all domestic flights are around a five to ten minute AirTran ride from the BART station). You will also need to make one transfer to get on the Millbrae train to SFO so you’ll be in trouble if you miss that. In addition, the trains do not come very frequently as compared to metro trains in New York; you could wait up to 10-20 minutes if you miss one.

If you absolutely need to make the 6:35pm flight and you finances won’t allow you to stay an extra night, I would recommend that you contact the admissions office and ask to be placed in a particular interview group. Unless they’ve changed it, all interview applicants are separated into 4 to 5 groups. During the day, you will stay with this group as you circulate between “stations” including a school tour, meeting current students, essay section, and the actual interview. The most important thing for you to accomplish is the interview itself and the essay section. So, I would call Sharon Joyce and tell her your situation, and ask her if you can be placed in the group that will be finished earliest with both the interview and the essay. You will miss out on the more social things, but you’ll at least be in a better position to make your flight.

In addition, you can bring your luggage with you to the interview and it will be safely stored in the admissions office. If you are going to have a taxicab or an airport shuttle pick you up, make sure they get very specific directions to the optometry school. Here is a map that you can fax or e-mail to the driver so they know where exactly to get you --> http://www.caleyecare.com/images/Clinic_Map.gif (Minor Hall)
Also, only bring a carry-on luggage and don’t bring any luggage you will need to check-in. Most major airlines will allow you to check-in to your flight online 24 hours before departure. So, you can find a place such as Kinko’s or an internet café to check-in to your flight and print out your boarding pass. Then, as soon as you get to the airport, you can go straight to the security gate.

And to make a bit easier for you, try to see if you can fly out of Oakland airport instead of San Francisco.

Best of luck,

Rosanna F.
wow..i think that was helpful for everyone..THANKS!!! =)

the bay area is faboulous and since you might spend the next 4 years here - stay! one more day, you can do something touristy, or just relax and not have to stress about it~ i even volunteer to show you around - for free:)

hey everybody!

booked my ticket and ready to go. anybody else flying into oakland around 1pm-ish and wanna catch a cab together to berkeley? im coming in from boston and itll be my 2nd time visiting.

im very excited if you cant tell. can you believe the interview is on my birthday?!?!?!

see you all soon!

kathy

Hey everybody

Just want to congratulate all the people who received invites. I got an invite too, and I hope to meet all you guys there on the 27th. I'm from Canada.

I've been so busy I haven't been checking the forums!!

Just wanted to add that I also got an interview for Berkeley! I got the email on Dec 22 also. And my friend got it too! So we'll be seeing you all on Jan 27! Congrats to everyone on making it this far. =)

I'm flying in from San Diego, staying at home in San Jose the whole weekend, and driving up to Berkeley on Saturday.

UCBSO is my first choice! I already got into SCCO and although it is an awesome school and I would love to go there, it's just way too expensive. Plus they don't have International House there!

Good luck! I know I'll need it. =)

Hey everybody

Just want to congratulate all the people who received invites. I got an invite too, and I hope to meet all you guys there on the 27th. I'm from Canada.

Did you also get your interview email on the 22nd? Has anyone gotten an interview email from berekely on any other date? Specifically, since the 3rd?

Did you also get your interview email on the 22nd? Has anyone gotten an interview email from berekely on any other date? Specifically, since the 3rd?
they told me that they will be sending out further invites (& probably rejections) after the 8th since they need til then to "review my updated grades". personally, i think i got rejected...but its ok, things happen for a reason right

Check out the thread I posted if you want to carpool :)

Hi diirooz

Yes, I got my invite on the 22nd too. Seems like a lot of people got it then eh? I thought my application would get disqualified because I mailed off my reference letters one week before the deadline. The letters almost did not make it to Berkeley by the deadline date. I guess there was divine intervention, and the letters got there by the 14th. I was actually surprised at how fast I got an invite.

Divine Intervention? LOL you dork. The deadline only applies to submitting the application, you have until the end of dec to submit in the secondary material such as letters of rec.

thanks for the responses regarding the 6:35 flights :) I really appreciate the info, and i'll try to get another flight just to be on the safe side

I just found through the Dean of Admissions that they have two rounds of invitations for interviews. The first started on 12/22 with an RSVP deadline of 1/8. Then a second round of invitations get sent out with an RSVP deadline sometime before 1/27. I'm in the same boat so I'll keep my hopes up for both of us!

Do you go to UC San Diego?
yep..do you?? and really?!?! is the interview on the same day as the first round?? & do you kno why they would do that (like is there any preference for the 1st round over the second round)?? good luck!!! thanks for replying i thought i was the only one..

berkeley and their admissions process.. it's driving me crazy. i'm still awaiting my response. they said sometime after the 8th now i'm checking my email every second hoping i'll find something out.

According to admissions, there will be no phone interviews/early acceptance...That means they will be picking all of their 2007 class from those of us that got/get interviews on the 27th!!!

Sorry about the confusion...the different rounds only refer to when they send the invitations for an interview. Whenever you get the invitation, everyone will be interviewing on Jan. 27th. Just curious...where else have you applied?

I totally agree..unfortunately we just have to wait it out. Good luck to you!

Sorry about the confusion...the different rounds only refer to when they send the invitations for an interview. Whenever you get the invitation, everyone will be interviewing on Jan. 27th. Just curious...where else have you applied?
im gonna interview with scco and suny..im so nervous!!! berkeleys driving me nuts..its distracting me from the other interviews that i need to prep for..GAH

To all of you still applying to Berkeley, I've already decided on Ohio State (even though they lost the big game) and declined my interview at Berkeley. The Berkeley folks were very cordial about my email but didn't say anything about giving my interview spot to somebody else. I hope that really is the case because I'd feel bad about not going if somebody else might have been able to. Keep us all posted about the 2nd wave and also the interview day in general.

i just checked me email & i guess ill be joining you guys =)

looks like i'll be joining u guys there! =D see u on the 27th!