UC Post bac's cycle 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, I am glad that this forum exists; I wish I knew about interfolio earlier. I submitted 1/25/2016 my application and application status is "complete" as of two weeks ago. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Received Interview Invite today from UCLA RAP

Congrats! I was just about to post and ask if anyone has received interview invites yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I'm just curious, why does UCI have a "priority deadline"? My application is finally complete today so I made it in time for that, but I'm confused as to why they have two deadlines so close to each other

Oh I'm just curious, why does UCI have a "priority deadline"? My application is finally complete today so I made it in time for that, but I'm confused as to why they have two deadlines so close to each other

It's just a unique aspect about UCI's program, which is probably a good thing. You wouldn't want to be submitting your application late anyhow. If anything, it encourages applicants to submit early.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have an idea as to which of the programs is best? Or differences between the programs

Their websites all say similar things. Do any of the programs say their success rate besides UCI?

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea as to which of the programs is best? Or differences between the programs

Their websites all say similar things. Do any of the programs say their success rate besides UCI?

I would say it depends on what you want out of the program, but I strongly believe they all facilitate one's ability to be reflective, have realistic self-appraisal and how one can grow from such an opportunity. Another aspect to consider is the type of community each program serves. Check out UCSF, they state their success rate.

Did you guys receive phone or email interview invites or both? And how long how long between being notified to your interview?

Last edited:
On the application where you have to put the "Name of community" from different time range, what should I put? I emailed the Consortium and got no response :( Should I call them instead?

On the application where you have to put the "Name of community" from different time range, what should I put? I emailed the Consortium and got no response :( Should I call them instead?

What do you mean name of community? I don't see that part. U mean urban v. Rural, etc?

What do you mean name of community? I don't see that part. U mean urban v. Rural, etc?

I actually don't know what it mean. Here is the screenshot of the question.

Attachments

• Pics.pdf
    33.3 KB · Views: 71
I actually don't know what it mean. Here is the screenshot of the question.

For each age group, I answered if I lived in a rural, urban, suburban area followed by name of the county. I also added the zip code and whether the home was rented or owned.

Members don't see this ad :)
For each age group, I answered if I lived in a rural, urban, suburban area followed by name of the county. I also added the zip code and whether the home was rented or owned.

Oh, so that's how you answer it. Thank you!

Hey Guys! I sent my transcripts in almost 2 weeks ago but my application is still pending!?!? How long did it take for your apps to get complete. Im just nervous about the upcoming deadline.

Make sure you send in your AMCAS app. I forgot to do that and Im still pending

When was your application marked complete?
Hey Guys! I sent my transcripts in almost 2 weeks ago but my application is still pending!?!? How long did it take for your apps to get complete. Im just nervous about the upcoming deadline.
I just got an interview invite to UCI this morning via email! (Happy dance)

Here's a quick summary of my app:
Submitted application: 2/24/15
LOR and Transcript Postmarked: 2/24/15
Completed: 3/3/15 (1 day after UCI's priority deadline lol)
Sent to: UCD, UCI, UCSF, UCR
Interviews: UCI
Acceptances: N/A

Reactions: 5 users
I just got an interview invite to UCI this morning via email! (Happy dance)

Here's a quick summary of my app:
Submitted application: 2/24/15
LOR and Transcript Postmarked: 2/24/15
Completed: 3/3/15 (1 day after UCI's priority deadline lol)
Sent to: UCD, UCI, UCSF, UCR
Interviews: UCI
Acceptances: N/A
How many days do you have to prep for interview?

IDK if I am just hallucinating here, but did they just extend the application deadline to march 23rd?!

IDK if I am just hallucinating here, but did they just extend the application deadline to march 23rd?!

Who???

Edit: omg that's crazy. That's disappointing because now I will have to wait longer to hear back!!

Was the essay about research optional? if so, did most of you write about it?

Hi everyone! Yes, they did extend the deadline! Based on other UC Postbacc threads from recent cycles, I haven't seen that occur, though. I wonder why they decided to do that this year...

Was the essay about research optional? if so, did most of you write about it?
Hi! My friend called the Consortium with that same question, and they said it was optional. However, if you do have any experience, I'd highly recommend writing that essay! I wrote about my undergrad clinical research.

Not enough applicants?

That's what I was thinking could've been a possibility. Hopefully, it isn't because they are having trouble with transcripts/LORs!

My stuff got processed way faster than I was expecting!

Anyone get any interviews yet besides the ones already mentioned?

is biochem required for med school? or is it just a good class to take?

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone knew the exact program dates ? Does Irvine also start around July?

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone knew the exact program dates ? Does Irvine also start around July?
Hey there, this is what I gathered from the UC Postbacc websites and speaking with the program coordinators:
UCD: mid-late June 2016
UCI: June 20, 2016 (orientation: June 17, 2016)
UCR: mid June 2016
UCSF: June 20, 2016

Hey there, this is what I gathered from the UC Postbacc websites and speaking with the program coordinators:
UCD: mid-late June 2016
UCI: June 20, 2016 (orientation: June 17, 2016)
UCR: mid June 2016
UCSF: June 20, 2016

Thanks!

is biochem required for med school? or is it just a good class to take?
Hey, from what I know it isn't required. I believe some schools recommend it, but it's not a requirement.

I'm feeling anxious for the interview. Does anyone have any tips on how I should prepare? :/
I wish folks will hear back for interviews soon as well!!! Wish you all the best! <3
Hey, here are a few tips I would recommend:
1. Know everything on your application like the back of your hand. They will most likely ask you about your experiences in further detail so it's important that what you say in your interview confirms everything in your application.
2. Record yourself answering typical interview questions, and review the footage. Make sure you don't use distracting words like "um."
3. Eye contact and body language are just as important as what you are saying.
4. Be genuine. Be yourself!

Best of luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm feeling anxious for the interview. Does anyone have any tips on how I should prepare? :/
I wish folks will hear back for interviews soon as well!!! Wish you all the best! <3
How'd it go, how'd it go? ^_____^

I check my email/phone every day, hoping to see a UC email or SoCal/NorCal area code.... But nothing .

Ok I'm being dramatic, it's still super early lol. But am I the only one acting like this already?

I check my email/phone every day, hoping to see a UC email or SoCal/NorCal area code.... But nothing .

Ok I'm being dramatic, it's still super early lol. But am I the only one acting like this already?

I'm glad I'm not the only one constantly checking my email! Lol Hopefully, we all hear back soon :)

Does anyone know how we pay for these programs? im still confused on that matter.

Does anyone know how we pay for these programs? im still confused on that matter.

UCD, UCI, and UCR are considered undergraduate programs. If you did not utilize all your undergraduate federal loans, you may be able to use the remainder for these programs.

UCSF is considered a graduate program, and would therefore qualify you for graduate student loans.

Your 2016-2017 FAFSA should coincide with the program's undergraduate / graduate status.

Aside from that, you would have to use private loans to make up for the difference. I am unaware of any grants / scholarships for this Postbacc program.

Does anyone know if there are any grants / scholarships we can apply to?

UCD, UCI, and UCR are considered undergraduate programs. If you did not utilize all your undergraduate federal loans, you may be able to use the remainder for these programs.

UCSF is considered a graduate program, and would therefore qualify you for graduate student loans.

Your 2016-2017 FAFSA should coincide with the program's undergraduate / graduate status.

Aside from that, you would have to use private loans to make up for the difference. I am unaware of any grants / scholarships for this Postbacc program.

Does anyone know if there are any grants / scholarships we can apply to?

Yeah I have reached my loan limit, so I guess Ill have to do private loans but I'm not sure what type of credit score they expect students to have in order to barrow $10K+ for school.

Yeah I have reached my loan limit, so I guess Ill have to do private loans but I'm not sure what type of credit score they expect students to have in order to barrow $10K+ for school.
My friend who completed the UCI program last year suggested using Sallie Mae.

Does anyone know what is provided financially for the summer at UCD?

So I just want to confirm, nobody knows why the deadline got extended, right? Also, is it my imagination or does it seem like there are not nearly as many people who are part of this thread this year than there were in the previous years on SDN?

Does anyone know what is provided financially for the summer at UCD?

I am not sure about UCD, try calling them to ask. I think they are pretty helpful

So I just want to confirm, nobody knows why the deadline got extended, right? Also, is it my imagination or does it seem like there are not nearly as many people who are part of this thread this year than there were in the previous years on SDN?

Correct--they didn't provide an explanation as to why they extended the deadline. You're right in that regard. I noticed there are far fewer people participating in the thread this year as compared to previous cycles. Maybe the other applicants don't know about / use SDN...

I submitted my application in February and it's still pending. My last recommendation letter was sent in early March and it still hasn't been uploaded. It's been more than 7-10 days since they have received it. Does this make me ineligible to UCI since their deadline was March 2nd? What if all my letters aren't in by the 23rd?! I've called them, e-mailed, and left voicemails. No call back..

I submitted my application in February and it's still pending. My last recommendation letter was sent in early March and it still hasn't been uploaded. It's been more than 7-10 days since they have received it. Does this make me ineligible to UCI since their deadline was March 2nd? What if all my letters aren't in by the 23rd?! I've called them, e-mailed, and left voicemails. No call back..
You are still eligible for UCI as the final deadline for all UC Postbacc programs is March 23. Did you contact the Consortium or the individual programs? I would recommend you keep calling and emailing both the Consortium and the individual programs to see if they received your last letter and just haven't upload it yet. Don't give up!

You are still eligible for UCI as the final deadline for all UC Postbacc programs is March 23. Did you contact the Consortium or the individual programs? I would recommend you keep calling and emailing both the Consortium and the individual programs to see if they received your last letter and just haven't upload it yet. Don't give up!

I contacted both! The individual program just told me to call the consortium. Thank you! I feel a little better lol. Although the deadline is two days away..