UC/CSU to PA School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAStudent101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently a freshman at Sacramento State University and would like to pursue the career as a PA. I was wondering if undergrad school you attend determines if you actually can get into PA school such as how Med Schools prefer more prestigious schools like a UC. Or is it doesn't matter as much for PA? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Really just depends on the school. I'm from the same area as you basically, and from the talks I've had with people at the various schools in the area (UCD, Touro, Stanford, and Samuel Merritt) your undergrad location won't matter much. It will come down much more so to your GPA and experience combined. This is just locally though, schools outside the SF-Sac area could easily have different priorities.

For a related personal anecdote, I'm finishing my bachelors online. It's a real brick and mortar school of course with an average enough reputation, but still, my BS will be all online. However, I currently have 3 (and by the time I apply closer to 6 years) years of full time experience in trauma surgery, burn surgery, cardiothoracic critical care including heart and lung transplants, neurosurgery, and medical intensive care. I will have personal recommendation letters from the chiefs of Anesthesia and CT Surgery at UCSF. Every admissions officer I've spoken with at the above mentioned schools all say the same: Even with an average GPA I have a strong advantage over a student with good grades, but no or weak experience.

My point being? Don't just focus on your school. Focus on everything! Sacramento State is a solid school, and that's fine. Get good grades. Try to learn at least medical Spanish (almost everywhere, but especially if you apply to UCD) or Chinese/Vietnamese/Tagalog/Russian (for Bay Area schools). Get some experience - even if you can't do RT/RN/Paramedic do something clinical. Try something in a hospital so you can work with physicians and PA's and develop good relationships and get yourself some good rec letters. Shadow physicians and PA's too. Hell UCD is just down the street, you're just a couple miles from world class doctors who teach for a living, take full advantage! Just remember you're more than a GPA. If when application comes, you're a complete well-rounded student, that is what will matter more than the school behind the degree.

Reactions: 1 users
Really just depends on the school. I'm from the same area as you basically, and from the talks I've had with people at the various schools in the area (UCD, Touro, Stanford, and Samuel Merritt) your undergrad location won't matter much. It will come down much more so to your GPA and experience combined. This is just locally though, schools outside the SF-Sac area could easily have different priorities.

For a related personal anecdote, I'm finishing my bachelors online. It's a real brick and mortar school of course with an average enough reputation, but still, my BS will be all online. However, I currently have 3 (and by the time I apply closer to 6 years) years of full time experience in trauma surgery, burn surgery, cardiothoracic critical care including heart and lung transplants, neurosurgery, and medical intensive care. I will have personal recommendation letters from the chiefs of Anesthesia and CT Surgery at UCSF. Every admissions officer I've spoken with at the above mentioned schools all say the same: Even with an average GPA I have a strong advantage over a student with good grades, but no or weak experience.

My point being? Don't just focus on your school. Focus on everything! Sacramento State is a solid school, and that's fine. Get good grades. Try to learn at least medical Spanish (almost everywhere, but especially if you apply to UCD) or Chinese/Vietnamese/Tagalog/Russian (for Bay Area schools). Get some experience - even if you can't do RT/RN/Paramedic do something clinical. Try something in a hospital so you can work with physicians and PA's and develop good relationships and get yourself some good rec letters. Shadow physicians and PA's too. Hell UCD is just down the street, you're just a couple miles from world class doctors who teach for a living, take full advantage! Just remember you're more than a GPA. If when application comes, you're a complete well-rounded student, that is what will matter more than the school behind the degree.
Wow thank you! That helped out a lot.

School name really does not matter at all. I came from a no name school and got interviews from several programs this cycle. It's your GPA, GRE, HCE, LOR, EC and PS. Those are the things that matter.

Reactions: 1 user