UC Berkeley online extension biology courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? If so, did the school provide you with transcripts?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they do provide transcripts but only after you've completed the course, no in progress transcripts.
Also, before you enroll make sure you are diligent enough to pace yourself. 6 months might seem like a long time, but if you're involved in a lot of things, it can easily be pushed aside for too long.
I'm not sure if you're in the Bay Area, but if so, I would recommend the actual classroom courses available at extension. They are cheaper than online and a ton more interesting and involved. You'll definitely get a lot more out of the classroom than online. But thats just my opinion...

Do other UCs offer this as well. What is the cost on this? Any weblinks? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
the website is

http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/

online courses are about $700, classroom courses about $400-500.

depending on the courses you're interested in and your learning style, some classes work better than others. the online courses are great though if you don't live in the bay area, because you are practically do them from anywhere.

i have only taken biology courses at extension and the teachers have been really great. they have basically made the class. but i have heard of other teachers not being as good.

i know a couple other UCs have extension programs but i'm not exactly sure which ones. i do know UCSD has one.

scooshynose said:
the website is

http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/

online courses are about $700, classroom courses about $400-500.

depending on the courses you're interested in and your learning style, some classes work better than others. the online courses are great though if you don't live in the bay area, because you are practically do them from anywhere.

i have only taken biology courses at extension and the teachers have been really great. they have basically made the class. but i have heard of other teachers not being as good.

i know a couple other UCs have extension programs but i'm not exactly sure which ones. i do know UCSD has one.
Cool, thanks for the links, guys/gals. But wow, $700 for the course vs. $400-500. That's quite a bit more for less interaction. I guess you pay extra to study in the comfort of your own home (or be away from people).

These classes look interesting- has anyone done one before? How do they grade you and are they super difficult?

emgirl said:
These classes look interesting- has anyone done one before? How do they grade you and are they super difficult?
Yeah, I read a few of those classes as well. I'm curious how these courses transfer over (IF they even do) to my previous coursework (at UCSD). Can these be used to satisfy prerequisites? If so, would taking classes at, say, UCLA, also work?

In other words, can extension courses be counted as regular classes?

That Biology of Cancer course does look very interesting.

1.Would this be a good back-up plan if I do not get into any post-bacc. (as oppose to going back to my undergrad institution?).

2. If I do this, would I be able to say that I did post-baccalaureate work at UC-Berkely?

HussainGQ said:
1.Would this be a good back-up plan if I do not get into any post-bacc. (ass oppose to going back to my undergrad institution?).

2. If I do this, would I be able to say that I did post-baccalaureate work at UC-Berkely?

Do you mean ONLY taking the online classes or going to the extension school?

scooshynose said:
Yes, they do provide transcripts but only after you've completed the course, no in progress transcripts.
Also, before you enroll make sure you are diligent enough to pace yourself. 6 months might seem like a long time, but if you're involved in a lot of things, it can easily be pushed aside for too long.
I'm not sure if you're in the Bay Area, but if so, I would recommend the actual classroom courses available at extension. They are cheaper than online and a ton more interesting and involved. You'll definitely get a lot more out of the classroom than online. But thats just my opinion...

I don't live in California and the classes do look very interesting. Does the transcript indicate that it is an online class? I would disclose this info and would not mind if it said "Extension".

sunnyjohn said:
Do you mean ONLY taking the online classes or going to the extension school?

I mean only taking classes online (as I live far from Cali. and would not be able to attend the school)

Members don't see this ad :)
If we all take the same class we could form out own little SDN study group.

They do look interesting. I could use two of those upper level Bio classes to improve my BCPM.

Anybody interested in the Bio of cancer class?

To see if they transfer over, you should look at the class number. Its explained on the website, but an X and XB before the number means that it is the same/similiar class given at UC Berkeley. I'm not sure if you could say that you did a postbac at Berkeley per se, but if the classes are comparable, admission committees should recognize that. Make sure that you take classes in the 100s, as those are the upper division, for science majors, classes.
I have found that the difficulty of the class is pretty comparable to UCSD upper division biology classes, although its a smaller class size and therefore much more individual attention and a forum to ask lots of questions (as opposed to 300+ in the class). Plus, doing post-bac work, you are much more focused and determined, leading to higher success.
I have taken 3 classes there, 2 classroom and 1 online and plan to take 2 more classroom. I do live in the Bay Area, and have found that although State and CCSF do have quality classes, the UC Berkeley Ex classes are probably the most appropriate for premeds. Also, some of the classes are held at the UCB campus and especially during the summer, are the same class for summer school students at Berkeley.

scooshynose said:
To see if they transfer over, you should look at the class number. Its explained on the website, but an X and XB before the number means that it is the same/similiar class given at UC Berkeley. I'm not sure if you could say that you did a postbac at Berkeley per se, but if the classes are comparable, admission committees should recognize that. Make sure that you take classes in the 100s, as those are the upper division, for science majors, classes.
I have found that the difficulty of the class is pretty comparable to UCSD upper division biology classes, although its a smaller class size and therefore much more individual attention and a forum to ask lots of questions (as opposed to 300+ in the class). Plus, doing post-bac work, you are much more focused and determined, leading to higher success.
I have taken 3 classes there, 2 classroom and 1 online and plan to take 2 more classroom. I do live in the Bay Area, and have found that although State and CCSF do have quality classes, the UC Berkeley Ex classes are probably the most appropriate for premeds. Also, some of the classes are held at the UCB campus and especially during the summer, are the same class for summer school students at Berkeley.
Thanks for the info. What class did you take online? Did you take the Bio of Cancer class?

I haven't taken Bio of Cancer, although I do agree it looks interesting (although it seems that there are 3 options for the class fall semester, including one online). I did take Immunology online, and Molecular and Cell Biology classes.

Good news to all! UC Berkeley Ex is starting a post bac program starting spring 2006. The website says that complete information should be up by Sept.
The link is
www.unex.berkeley.edu/dept/bio
It says that is for students wishing to improve their academic performance before applying to medical school and those that have not taken the prereqs.

scooshynose said:
Good news to all! UC Berkeley Ex is starting a post bac program starting spring 2006. The website says that complete information should be up by Sept.
The link is
www.unex.berkeley.edu/dept/bio
It says that is for students wishing to improve their academic performance before applying to medical school and those that have not taken the prereqs.
Great info!!!

Awesome info. I am wondering when you can start the online classes. I am under the impression that you can start whenever you want to but am not sure if this is true. Also, are there deadlines or set times periods for when you have to finish the material since all you have to do is finish within a 6 month period? Also, where do you take your finals? Is it all done on a honor system where you say you wont cheat or what? Any help will be much appreciated.

So are you guys going to take a few of these classes?

I think I am going to take that Biology of Cancer class and maybe two others.

Maybe we can all pick a class we like and take it together> that way we can have our own study group going.

This is great!

sunnyjohn said:
So are you guys going to take a few of these classes?

I think I am going to take that Biology of Cancer class and maybe two others.

Maybe we can all pick a class we like and take it together> that way we can have our own study group going.

This is great!

This thread has got me thinking that I may take a class (perhaps bio of cancer), let's see who's in.

-ockham

I'm interested in the cancer one and the molec/cell bio one...however I'm kind of scared of how these classes will be perceived by adcoms- I've heard so much CC class bashing on SDN that I can't imagine online classes will be looked at in a positive light at all... Has anyone applied to med school after taking some of these classes? Did adcoms bring up the fact that you took an online course? It would just suck to spend $1500 for a couple of courses if they were pretty much going to be disregarded by adcoms... What do yall think? Em

I've taken a few online class. Non of my transcripts report the classes as "online". In fact, they report the same as the other classes. I actually felt some of my online classes were more intense than my traditional classes. They were not overly difficult, just a great deal of work.

The AMCAS application does not ask you to specifiy distance or online classes and I do not know of any secondaries that ask you to specify online or distance learning classes.

Some would say though if you live in NY and took a course in CA it would be a give away.

If an ad com asked me point blank whether the class was online, I would of course say yes. If the asked me about any class traditional or online, I would give an accurate description. But I seriously doubt if they would.

I am going to take the Cancer Biology and one other. They will help my BCPM.

scooshynose said:
I haven't taken Bio of Cancer, although I do agree it looks interesting (although it seems that there are 3 options for the class fall semester, including one online). I did take Immunology online, and Molecular and Cell Biology classes.

How was that immuno class online? I heard the teacher was pretty bad.

And I know someone in their 3rd year of med school that has taken a few of the Berkeley classes and the adcoms at her schol didn't say a word about it.