UC Berkeley Extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealingGrace

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten into medical school doing a post bacc at UCBx???

Maybe helpful pertinent info:

Years in the program
Undergrad major and University attended
matriculating GPA and sGPA
Mcat Scores
Med schools accepted into, med school chosen to attend
any other advice or info you deem appropriate for this thread.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

People get in to medical school all the time from this program. What I think would be most pertinent to add to this discussion is this: it's a program designed for self-motivated, self-directed learners. For example, it's great for busy, working professionals who need to satisfy the requirements and are fine learning on their own. Class 1x a week for 3-4 hours is brutal, no one can absorb that much information in lecture. There is little support if you're struggling, but, if you play your cards right by selecting the right teachers, it's not terribly difficult. Professors make their expectations abundantly clear. Students know what they have to do to get an A or B.

I did the entire premed sequence here over many years and will be starting med school in August. Me: Stanford undergrad, LizzyM ~71, 4 acceptances, elected to attend UCSF.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone gotten into medical school doing a post bacc at UCBx???

Maybe helpful pertinent info:

Years in the program
Undergrad major and University attended
matriculating GPA and sGPA
Mcat Scores
Med schools accepted into, med school chosen to attend
any other advice or info you deem appropriate for this thread.

Thanks in advance!!

What DSM_302.0 said above, people get into med school from this program all the time. One of my friends just got off Stanford's waitlist. Other friends this past cycle have gotten into Northwestern, Mount Sinai, etc. If you need someone to hold your hand or mentor you then this is not the program for you. But if just need an accredited place to take classes, get good grades and a solid foundation for the MCAT, then UCBX is a great option. I just finished my 2nd full year here and will be applying next cycle (taking my MCAT too late for this cycle, plus I want to do other things with my life before going through application hell)

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA in undergrad was a 2.9 and I took 30 credits from UCBX with a 3.7 GPA. It's still not over the 3.0 mark though. When I called a masters program for why I got rejected, they said that the UCBX does not count as graduate work and so it cannot offset the low undergrad GPA. Does that mean that the courses I took at UCBX won't count for my med school app?

I see that people got accepted into med school from the UCBX program, but my MCAT score is also a 503 so I'm guessing maybe it is because of that?

My GPA in undergrad was a 2.9 and I took 30 credits from UCBX with a 3.7 GPA. It's still not over the 3.0 mark though. When I called a masters program for why I got rejected, they said that the UCBX does not count as graduate work and so it cannot offset the low undergrad GPA. Does that mean that the courses I took at UCBX won't count for my med school app?

Sounds like a school-specific policy, UCBx should definitely count toward med school :thinking:

Reactions: 1 user