Sergey1

Reaction score
I am a current high senior who wishes to eventually go on to medical school. I am in-state for UAB and can go there for free. I can also apply for the early medical school acceptance program; however, this is far from a guaranteed acceptance. I have a 35 ACT and feel confident in my ability to be accepted into WashU and the like, but then I would have to pay the full cost of attendance of around $70,000 per year, which I can afford, but it will drain my entire college fund leaving no room for med school. Due to the fact that I am interested in applying to top medical schools and participating in basic science research and competitions like the Goldwater scholarship, is it worth it to go to a top school? Even if I do not get accepted into the early med school program, is UAB my best option? Is anyone here familiar with how UAB’s reputation and facilities compare to other universities? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current high senior who wishes to eventually go on to medical school. I am in-state for UAB and can go there for free. I can also apply for the early medical school acceptance program; however, this is far from a guaranteed acceptance. I have a 35 ACT and feel confident in my ability to be accepted into WashU and the like, but then I would have to pay the full cost of attendance of around $70,000 per year, which I can afford, but it will drain my entire college fund leaving no room for med school. Due to the fact that I am interested in applying to top medical schools and participating in basic science research and competitions like the Goldwater scholarship, is it worth it to go to a top school? Even if I do not get accepted into the early med school program, is UAB my best option? Is anyone here familiar with how UAB’s reputation and facilities compare to other universities? Thanks in advance.
Im not familiar with UAB but take the free school. Any 4 year university can get you to medical school. Don't take on $300k debt for nothing

Edit: didn't read your post correctly. Meant to say don't spend your $300k trust fund for nothing

Reactions: 1 user
Im not familiar with UAB but take the free school. Any 4 year university can get you to medical school. Don't take on $300k debt for nothing

Edit: didn't read your post correctly. Meant to say don't spend your $300k trust fund for nothing
College fund, I don’t have a trust fund. In essence, I can use my college fund to pay for either only med school or only undergrad; not enough in it for both.

Members don't see this ad :)
how much is college going to cost?

how much is college going to cost?
Wash U, Duke and the like have a tuition of around 50k per year, but expenses run the total cost of attendance up to around 70k per year. I also have a full acedemic scholarship to UAB (top 35 med school on campus). College fund has around 250k which will not leave any room for med school tuition.

Wash U, Duke and the like have a tuition of around 50k per year, but expenses run the total cost of attendance up to around 70k per year. I also have a full acedemic scholarship to UAB (top 35 med school on campus). College fund has around 250k which will not leave any room for med school tuition.
have you been accepted to wash U or Duke or any other t-20 or hypsm college?

Basically, is it worth going to a top private college if after med school I will be over 200k in debt.

Basically, is it worth going to a top private college if after med school I will be over 200k in debt.
I am applying WashU, Duke, Dartmouth, UPenn, Emory, and Wake Forest RD. I have a very extensive resume (founder of STEM nonprofit, international science fair, etc.) so I will probably be accepted to a few of them.

Here is the thing.

1. You may change your mind in college.
2. You may decide to not go to graduate school.

taking out loans right now to save money for Medical school is kinda backwards considering you will be accruing interest on those loans during the period of medical school.

If I was in your shoes I would attend the most prestigious university I got into.There are many more ivy grads in medical school, attend the one of those schools so you get a leg up in attending a great medical school, or a great what ever you want to do later on if not.

Here is the thing.

1. You may change your mind in college.
2. You may decide to not go to graduate school.

taking out loans right now to save money for Medical school is kinda backwards considering you will be accruing interest on those loans during the period of medical school.

If I was in your shoes I would attend the most prestigious university I got into.There are many more ivy grads in medical school, attend the one of those schools so you get a leg up in attending a great medical school, or a great what ever you want to do later on if not.
The only reason I would have to take out loans is if I go to a private college AND medical school. I can pay for private college by itself or medical school by itself.

The only reason I would have to take out loans is if I go to a private college AND medical school. I can pay for private college by itself or medical school by itself.
Go to the best school you can. Maybe apply to some privates that have free UG tuition like stanford as well. People from t-20 UGs have a leg up in the medical school application process and some places give extra points for that. Pay for it with the fund, and then take out loans for Med school if you have to. If your resume is so amazing you may even get scholarships for UG and even Med school later on.

comeback with acceptances in hand if yous still are having doubts.

Does this same advice hold for pre-dental students? I know that dental school is more expensive, and there may or may not be less of a focus on where one recieved their undergrad degree

Does this same advice hold for pre-dental students? I know that dental school is more expensive, and there may or may not be less of a focus on where one recieved their undergrad degree
i know nothing about dentistry. Sorry. Maybe the dental forum can help.

I second using free admission. Save your college fund to pay for medical school and be debt free.

UAB is a fairly decent university. Their medical school does have reputable residencies. It is by far, the best medical school in Alabama. There are 4 medical schools in Alabama; 2 MD and 2 DO. Between the four schools there are approximately 500 seats to fill for each application cycle. All 4 schools give preference to Alabama residents too. The MSAR and CIB will show you the number of total in-state applicants, giving you an idea of how competitive those seats are for AL applicants.

One option is to get into a medical school in AL, use your clinical years to do rotations at UAB and more prestigious sites, network and then apply for residencies elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users