UAB and MUSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJGrace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...

I'm trying to decide between UAB and MUSC internal medicine. Any current residents at either of these programs have any suggestion?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey...

I'm trying to decide between UAB and MUSC internal medicine. Any current residents at either of these programs have any suggestion?

Having interviewed at both places, and knowing residents at both...

UAB is the better IM residency, hands down. The UAB hospital is a much bigger institution with international leaders in many different fields, making it a major referral center in the southeast. Although both programs seem to provide good clinical training, I think UAB is more rigorous and probably has the edge in clinical exposure. While less relevant to your residency experience, UAB is a national leader in many areas of research (NIH funding, etc). Overall UAB is certainly in a "tier above" MUSC.

Something to think about though...MUSC seems to take more internal candidates for fellowship which is due to the fact UAB fellowships are more competitive, this may be important to you. UAB's match list is more impressive than MUSC's though.

Agree with above. Not that either one sucks, but UAB definitely has more "name" reputation, more research, and I am pretty sure more sick ICU patients, etc. If you want to do cards or GI, probably would benefit you more to go there, unless you have a specific wish to remain in South Carolina for fellowship and/or hospitalist or primary care practice, in which case staying in state to make connections could help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyway we can take UAB's program and put it in charleston? I have the same question as you. Seems like UAB is at a different level then MUSC but man does Birmingham seem tough to live in.

If its any help, I know several people familiar with Birmingham after living in many other areas of the Southeast and they really enjoy Birmingham. Plus you are close to Nashville for weekend trips!