U Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ketafol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else gone to U Dub this year for an interview? Is it worth going? How many do they take from their med school class. Let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else gone to U Dub this year for an interview? Is it worth going? How many do they take from their med school class. Let me know.

I've run into a LOT of UW students on the interview trail. They told me they have about 20/150 applying for gas and about 18 want to stay there. I really hope they don't take a large percentage of their own!!

You will NEVER match there if you don't know "U Dub" is ONLY U Washington NOT UWisconsin!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully they dont take their own. Their own is supposed to be going into Primary Care. Thats what those losers said when they interviewed there. If you told them you were planning on specializing they didnt like that. I went to undergrad there and majored in Biochem. I applied to the med school with a 3.95 GPA and 34 on MCAT and got wait listed while lesser qualified applicants with 3.6 and 28 MCATs got in. I thankfully got into a much better medical school with no problems. I really want to go there for Anesthesia and hopefully will get in. I hope they dont inbreed with their own candidates. Can u tell im bitter. Hopefully 230 Step 1, research, and great grades will help.

Hopefully they dont take their own. Their own is supposed to be going into Primary Care. Thats what those losers said when they interviewed there. If you told them you were planning on specializing they didnt like that. I went to undergrad there and majored in Biochem. I applied to the med school with a 3.95 GPA and 34 on MCAT and got wait listed while lesser qualified applicants with 3.6 and 28 MCATs got in. I thankfully got into a much better medical school with no problems. I really want to go there for Anesthesia and hopefully will get in. I hope they dont inbreed with their own candidates. Can u tell im bitter. Hopefully 230 Step 1, research, and great grades will help.

Well, how could they pass someone up with such a pleasant, modest personality? You're an absolute shoe-in. Make sure you let them know how you feel.

Since when is telling them that you want to go into primary care a requirement for admission? I didn't tell them I wanted to go into primary care. Maybe they just liked me because I'm less qualified and didn't live up to your amazing stats:laugh: I'm sure UW Anesthesia would love to have someone like you :thumbdown: .

HAHA. I love the sarcasm. Well the fact is University of Wisconsin is a great place. I loved it. And the anesthesia program is top notch I hear. So why am I bitter. Well I'm bitter because of the fact that the place I love so much didnt let me come to their medical school. I'm also bitter about the fact that they have a Medical Scholars Program. I dont think I'm the only one with distaste for that program. The way they decide their admissions is suboptimal as well. They have a point system in which candidates are assigned points for various attributes which include grades, MCAT, extracurriculars, volunteering etc. The problem with this system is that they assign so little points to objective measures of aptitude such as grades and MCAT but assign more points to subjective measures such as volunteering (they give points by hours volunteered). While I applaud their use of other standards I think it is a little lopsided. Of course medical schools want well rounded individuals. And we all know how many folks fudge their extracurriculars and volunteering. Nobody really checks up on that. You cant fudge grades and MCAT scores. So when I found out I was waitlisted I went to talk to the admissions director Janice Weisman who was very rude btw. She told me I had recieved 5.8 points. Apparently 6 was good for admission. And what was the reason? Instead of like 600 hours of volunteering I had only 500. I dont remember exactly what the numbers were but it was close. What a joke. Apparently in their minds individuals who volunteer more are more likely to go into Primary Care, and since its a state school they want to make sure they train individuals to become family docs who practice in Wisconsin. And the fact is both my interviewers told me that they were recommending me for admission. But hopefully I'll make it into UW gas and erase this slap in the face.

Since when is telling them that you want to go into primary care a requirement for admission? I didn't tell them I wanted to go into primary care. Maybe they just liked me because I'm less qualified and didn't live up to your amazing stats:laugh: I'm sure UW Anesthesia would love to have someone like you :thumbdown: .

What?! You didn't have your MCAT, GPA or USMLE scores on your license plate!? You must be exactly the type of loser they were looking for. I feel sorry for you. :laugh:

I am changing my theory on interviews. I used to think that they were pointless and that you couldn't move yourself up any by being personable. Lately I'm starting to think that there are enough people knocking themselves down the list for the interviews to be worth while!!

Firstly, thanks to badgas for providing me with a hearty "Snerk."

Moving on:

I'm also bitter about the fact that they have a Medical Scholars Program. I dont think I'm the only one with distaste for that program.

Based on a quick Google, the "Medical Scolars Program" is what Wisconsin and other places call their (presumably funded) MD/PhD program. As a graduating, gas-bound MD/PhD myself, I'm curious about the reason for your (and other folks, according to you) distaste for the dual degree.

I applied to the med school with a 3.95 GPA and 34 on MCAT and got wait listed while lesser qualified applicants with 3.6 and 28 MCATs got in.

How do you know that for a fact? Are you aware of the specific grades/MCATs of any Wisconsin students? And even if those are real, so what? As you say and as they said, lots of factors go into their decision, which is as it should be. Being a great physcian is certainly about more than just numbers, and the purpose of medical school admission (and residency matching, for that matter) is not to simply or primarily reward academic achievement. It seems possible and reasonable to me that other factors (like personality) affected their decision?

Firstly, thanks to badgas for providing me with a hearty "Snerk."

Moving on:

Based on a quick Google, the "Medical Scolars Program" is what Wisconsin and other places call their (presumably funded) MD/PhD program. As a graduating, gas-bound MD/PhD myself, I'm curious about the reason for your (and other folks, according to you) distaste for the dual degree.

How do you know that for a fact? Are you aware of the specific grades/MCATs of any Wisconsin students? And even if those are real, so what? As you say and as they said, lots of factors go into their decision, which is as it should be. Being a great physcian is certainly about more than just numbers, and the purpose of medical school admission (and residency matching, for that matter) is not to simply or primarily reward academic achievement. It seems possible and reasonable to me that other factors (like personality) affected their decision?

medical scholars at UW is program designed to allow admission to med school after two years of undergrad at UW. This is awarded to extremely talented highschool seniors from around the state. The program is designed to keep these kids in Wisconsin. We have a MSTP program that is the combined MD/Ph.D. There are those who do not like how med scholars get guaranteed admission to med school upon highschool graduation, but that's a whole other debate that I'm sure you guys don't care about.

medical scholars at UW is program designed to allow admission to med school after two years of undergrad at UW. This is awarded to extremely talented highschool seniors from around the state. The program is designed to keep these kids in Wisconsin. We have a MSTP program that is the combined MD/Ph.D. There are those who do not like how med scholars get guaranteed admission to med school upon highschool graduation, but that's a whole other debate that I'm sure you guys don't care about.

also, generally these kids have to maintain a med-school-worthy GPA, as well as get a good MCAT score to continue on to med school. at least that's how it works at the penn state/jefferson program.

for anyone interested the match stats for UW med school grads into UW gas are as follows: 2004: 3/13 UW grads matched at UW, 2005: 3/9 UW grads matched at UW, 2006: 5/10 UW grads matched at UW. Maybe someone else out there knows the total number of spots available for UW anesthesiology. This would give a better feel for how much they favor their own med school grads.

UW has 12 Anesthesiology residents in each year (PGY2-4); so 25% (3/12) homegrown in '04 & '05, climbing to ~40% (5/12) last Match. Not the most incestuous program I've seen, certainly not the least, either. Hard to think what they'll do with more than 10% of ther class applying in gas and hoping to stay, but I really don't think they want much more than 50% of the Matchers from UW, given the popularity and increased competition of the field this year.

Merry Christmas, everybody. And for the record, I swear we're about to leave for a party and I'm killing time waiting for womenfolk, this is not how I'm spending my Christmas Eve! :p