U.S. Schools Accepting Clinical Transfers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend several easy-to-get-into private (or state) med. schools that have a history of taking transfers from other U.S. med. programs? (Regrettably, I am an average student.)

There are 100+ U.S. med. schools. One would think there has to be a few that may take transfer students somewhere in the middle-to-late part of their clin's (as rare as it may be).

For instance, anybody know about Creighton, Albany Medical College, MeHarry, East Tennessee State, North Dakota, USC, S. Carolina, GW, etc....

Any recs, without having to do a ton of research or take a shotgun approach and re-submit everything via AMCAS? I've already called AMCAS, BTW.

Thanks.

-EmD-

Members don't see this ad.

The only way most schools accept transfer is if
a) you have a ver, very compelling story that justifies a transfer.
b) One of their students dropped out prior to starting MS3.
Other than that it is very, very difficult to transfer to another med school.
You would have to contact each school individually and ask them if they have space available for ms3, every year a few med students quit midway through second year o right after.
You just have to be lucky enough to be there at the right place and the right time to take advantage (with a valid reason of course).

Dr Who

i remember meeting a student at GW who had transferred into third year....i think she moved to be closer to fiancee or husband, something like that....

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice on re-starting med school completely?

My sister transferred into USC to be closer to her husband. It is definitely possible once you have passed step I of the USMLE. If you have a compelling reason they will make a space for you.

A friend of mine transferred to Tufts for second year, to be in Boston with her new husband.