U Penn Official thread of the CLASS OF 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I live by 23rd and Sansom,-- looked about 3-6 weeks, but I started my rent in November which isn't the norm, and there's a problem with smoke drifting into the room from other rooms. On the other hand my rent is pretty nice (~$600) for a studio, and the place is pretty neat and has a wooden floor (125 s. 23rd). William Penn realty -- they might have additional listings on craiglist

Neuronix said:
The area around the 34th street bridge is really, really ghetto. There are no students I know of that use that bridge on a daily basis and no students I know who live down that far. All of Greys Ferry is ghetto, though it gets more ghetto as you go down. All the Penn students who live in that area live near where Gray's Ferry intersects South St and use the South St bridge. The bridges that the Penn students use are South, Walnut, and to a lesser extent Chesnut and Market. To go all the way down to the 34th street bridge would be wayyyyy out of the way. So, yeah, the south street bridge shutdown will be a huge deal.

Members don't see this ad.

Neuronix said:
The area around the 34th street bridge is really, really ghetto. There are no students I know of that use that bridge on a daily basis and no students I know who live down that far. All of Greys Ferry is ghetto, though it gets more ghetto as you go down. All the Penn students who live in that area live near where Gray's Ferry intersects South St and use the South St bridge. The bridges that the Penn students use are South, Walnut, and to a lesser extent Chesnut and Market. To go all the way down to the 34th street bridge would be wayyyyy out of the way. So, yeah, the south street bridge shutdown will be a huge deal.
Hah, whoops. OK, I'll keep that in mind - thank you!

Can someone give me the Cliffs Notes version of the Center City vs. West Philly debate?

As far as I understand, West Philly is good because it's closer to the med school, and Center City is good because it's not as "ghetto/unsafe" as West Philly.

Can you elaborate?

Also, is there good public transportation from Center City to the med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
ChocolateKiss said:
Can someone give me the Cliffs Notes version of the Center City vs. West Philly debate?

As far as I understand, West Philly is good because it's closer to the med school, and Center City is good because it's not as "ghetto/unsafe" as West Philly.

Can you elaborate?

I don't think the area of West Philly immediately around Penn is any less safe than Center City, but it certainly gets less safe as you go further west away from Penn. People used to have a rule (several years ago) not to go above 40th Street but it's since gotten nicer.

The main difference as I see it is that Center City is true urban living and west philly is more like urban college town living. So center city has more nice restaurants, bars, more expensive apartments, more people, everything you'd associate with a big city. West philly on the whole has fewer of these things, though it's becoming more center-city like every year it seems. Safety shouldn't be much of a concern, especially when you consider that you're going to be spending alot of time in west philly whether you live there or not--the school you're going to happens to be there.

Anyone getting excited for the second look weekend?

ChocolateKiss said:

Can you elaborate?

Everyone I personally know who has been robbed has been robbed in Center City above ground. The West Philly stuff gets published in the student papers more I think. Though, recently some Wharton student was beaten and robbed very close to 2400 Chestnut, and that scared all the students who live there because they're otherwise scared of the city. Nevertheless, I liked Withnail's summary of the debate. I wouldn't choose West Philly v. Center City based on perceived safety, but rather on whether you want a college town v. big city feel. I would say in general that Penn Land (20s west in center city) south of Walnut is still a very residential feel, which feels neither in college town or big city to me. North of Walnut or east of the 20s you're in a more happening area of town. This just reflects my own bias I guess, as I prefer locations that are more urban with lots of markets and restaurants. I would still avoid some parts of the city just based on asthetics though, and I've summarized the parts where the students live in my previous posts. If you really want to use a car for some reason you'll want to avoid center city because of parking issues unless you have that parent $$$.

As for transportation, there are two bus lines from Center City that drop off next to the hospital or the medical school (route 40 and 42), with the 42 being generally more reliable. I use the 21 once and awhile as well. I take the green line trolley (#11,13,34, or 36) every day (3 routes) which is faster than the buses (since they're underground) and more reliable (since there's 4 lines). It runs down Market from 13th street then cuts right across Penn campus in West Philly. For more info see www.septa.org. I use tokens, because unless you use SEPTA round trip more than 6 days a week it's cheaper to use tokens and if you lose your pass you are SCREWED, which cost $1.30 a ride.

Who is going to Penn Preview? Are you all going Thurs-Sat?

ChocolateKiss said:

I think I'm gonna head down for the Thursday night activities, maybe catch the end of the activities fair in the afternoon. I'm just not sure I can take all of Thursday off of work, but I am excited for it. Any current Penn students out there know anything more about the evening festivities?

I will definitely be out there from Thurs-saturday. I feel like I need some extra time to explore philly.

I think I'm going Thursday, taking Amtrak up to New Haven to catch the Friday part of Yale's second look, then taking the train back down for the Saturday part of Penn's. It's totally inefficient and cost-ineffective, but I don't know how else to see both... Yale's Friday program seems much more informative than the Thursday part, and I feel like I have enough of a handle on Penn's academic structure (from the interview day) that it's okay to miss Friday. Who else is trying to make it to both revisits, and what are you planning to do?

Neuronix said:
I hope you have lots of parent money. This is not typical of what one can afford on the student budget. All of the buildings listed in the previous post are pretty much out of a student budget, but are typical of mid-rise and high-rise prices in Philadelphia.

Penn living budget (the most in public loans you're eligible for) assigns you something like $1200/mo to live on TOTAL.

Yeah, I am definitely planning on getting a roommate. I am aiming to spend <=$1000 for my portion of a place. Not lots of parent money but with some savings and good budgeting I think it is do-able.

TracksuitsRock said:
Yeah, I am definitely planning on getting a roommate. I am aiming to spend <=$1000 for my portion of a place. Not lots of parent money but with some savings and good budgeting I think it is do-able.

I would say to save your money and get a nice apartment in a brownstone for much less. But, this is of course your decision to make.

It seems like there isn't that much stuff for Saturday, dunno if that alone is worth the trip

PostalWookie said:
It seems like there isn't that much stuff for Saturday, dunno if that alone is worth the trip

I'd say Thurs is more important than Sat with all the dinners and the Destination Gatherings. At least you'll get to meet your potential classmates and talk to current students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a double take when I read this:
Neuronix said:
Everyone I personally know who has been robbed (...)

because I really thought it said this:
Neuronix said:
Everyone I personally know has been robbed (...)

Let's be social and get to know each other! Post anything and everything about yourself. Anyone thinking about apartments and roommates yet?

does anyone know what is destination gatherings? I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it to get down to Penn Thurs night as opposed to Friday morning. I won't be able to come to anything before 6 on Thursday, and since I live near Philly I don't think i absolutely have to be at the dinner...

The dinners are organized by current students, and will consist of one or more current students agreeing to take x number of acceptees to a certain, student committee agreed upon restaurant. You sign up for the restaurants by looking at a list of sign-up sheets posted outside suite 100 and writing your name on the sheet. There's no funding for this activity (except for the MD/PhDs, I hope they pick a decent restaurant this year...), so everybody pays for themselves. Afterwards, you will have the option to join students at one or more bar options (aka destination gatherings) with specials. No sign-up necessary.

I don't know what the restaurant list is this year, so I'm not sure what to suggest. Generally the acceptees tend to stick to anything mediocre that's close to campus, but if you need any suggestions give me a hollar as cooking, eating, and food and wine are some of my hobbies. I gave up trying to organize restaurant trips myself, as anything on the other side of the town that sounded exotic ended up with no signups.

Obviously, this isn't tremendously important to the school as to whether or not you come to any of this. It wouldn't be particularly important to me to attend, especially considering a decent number of the people you go out with won't be your classmates (they'll go elsewhere). Still, what do I know... I was on the waitlist and didn't get to go to Preview when I applied.

PS: As for robbings, it happens in every city. Philadelphia tends to land smack in the middle of most crime indicators year after year. There's nowhere that you can live and nothing that you can do to guarantee you won't be victimized. That of course shouldn't be big news to any of you.

About the preview weekend... on Saturday it says "Pick up a Lunch and Enjoy the Rest of your Day!"- there doesn't seem to be any formal ending to the weekend. Is everyone sticking around and going to hang out together, or are we suppose to eat and go. I wasn't sure if I should get an early flight or something later in case we're all social and wander the city together. Any thoughts?

I know it says dress is casual for Penn Preview, but how fancy are the restaurants we eat at on Thursday night? And are the Destination Gatherings bars? This would help me to plan what to bring...Thanks!

Two questions:

1. How fancy are the dinner restaurants on Thursday, and where are the destination gatherings? I'm not really sure what to bring to wear to these events.

2. What is the welcome by the deans in the morning on Friday? Is that just an intro talk, or is it a time when we go and privately say hi and ask questions of the deans? Is it important to attend, or can I just sleep through it (I noticed registration goes until 10am, and I'm from the West Coast, so I'd rather just show up at 10am if this dean meeting isn't important).

ChocolateKiss said:
Two questions:

1. How fancy are the dinner restaurants on Thursday, and where are the destination gatherings? I'm not really sure what to bring to wear to these events.

Not very. Wear jeans the whole time you're here.

2. What is the welcome by the deans in the morning on Friday? Is that just an intro talk, or is it a time when we go and privately say hi and ask questions of the deans? Is it important to attend, or can I just sleep through it (I noticed registration goes until 10am, and I'm from the West Coast, so I'd rather just show up at 10am if this dean meeting isn't important).

Intro talk. Don't stress. Penn Preview is optional, therefore all the events at it are optional.

Bkka said:
Let's be social and get to know each other! Post anything and everything about yourself. Anyone thinking about apartments and roommates yet?

I've been looking at Locust Point a bit and may end up there. It's a little pricier than most of the stuff on craigslist but I'm a cyclist and the fact that the bike path ends at their door is worth an extra 200/month to me (well, not quite but it's pretty sweet). The apartments are pretty nice, though it's been a few years since they've been renovated and I just really like being right over the bridge from Penn and living in a building where I can get packages and stuff. I also looked at the building next door called Locust on The Park. It's nicer but definitely pricier--one bedrooms start at 1,700/month. On the other hand, the elevators and lobby seemed to be filled with hot Penn grad student ladies, probably all Wharton.

Anyone else done any looking? I don't want to freak anyone out who hasn't looked yet, I just happened to be in Philly and, like I said, I do tend to get into this stuff.

How much is the place you found.Is it in a high rise building? I reallly think I would like a brownstone located around the kind of neighborhood you are describing. It should be a little cheaper than the high rise thing. I also plan to start looking after second look weekend. I have very little knowledge of philly so I am going to need some help and advice.

infiniti said:
How much is the place you found.Is it in a high rise building? I reallly think I would like a brownstone located around the kind of neighborhood you are describing. It should be a little cheaper than the high rise thing. I also plan to start looking after second look weekend. I have very little knowledge of philly so I am going to need some help and advice.

The websites for Locust Point is www.historiclandmarks.com/locustpoint

If you click on floorplans it shows the rents for the different apartments.

Are you planning on living alone or with a roommate? I don't think I want to live by myself... how do we find roommates? Preview weekend?

Bkka said:
Are you planning on living alone or with a roommate? I don't think I want to live by myself... how do we find roommates? Preview weekend?

I am going to live by myself, but I've heard Penn Preview is a good time to find roommates. Also, I think I remember seeing something on the accepted students site about a rommate board becoming active in late April.

My fear of getting an apartment is that I am going to pick a spot that just happens to not have many med students in it, and that all of the friends I make are going to be in a different area. I had been thinking about going to Columbia, and readjusting my thinking from dorm style to apartments has been a challenge. Are you worried at all about that?

Bkka said:
My fear of getting an apartment is that I am going to pick a spot that just happens to not have many med students in it, and that all of the friends I make are going to be in a different area. I had been thinking about going to Columbia, and readjusting my thinking from dorm style to apartments has been a challenge. Are you worried at all about that?

I wouldn't worry about it...Saturday of Penn Preview seems to be all about housing and you could ask current students where they live. I think some of the current students have already said on this thread that most students live in center city west of the 20's. It's also not that big of an area to begin with...walking around is very easy.

Withnail said:
I wouldn't worry about it...Saturday of Penn Preview seems to be all about housing and you could ask current students where they live. I think some of the current students have already said on this thread that most students live in center city west of the 20's. It's also not that big of an area to begin with...walking around is very easy.

I guess that makes me feel better. Thanks. :)

Bkka said:
I guess that makes me feel better. Thanks. :)
I love how for pretty much all of us, the biggest worries are:
1) How expensive is housing?
2) Will I be able to find a place near the med school?
3) Is it easy to find a place to live near other med students?

As opposed to the rest of the world, which is like:
1) How is our ranking?
2) Is our ranking good enough to get us into good residencies?
3) I am, like, totally depressed. Who's with me!?

Penn students/admits are so sweet! :)

Centinel said:
I love how for pretty much all of us, the biggest worries are:
1) How expensive is housing?
2) Will I be able to find a place near the med school?
3) Is it easy to find a place to live near other med students?

As opposed to the rest of the world, which is like:
1) How is our ranking?
2) Is our ranking good enough to get us into good residencies?
3) I am, like, totally depressed. Who's with me!?

Penn students/admits are so sweet! :)

Thanks for putting everything in perspective. By the way, I saw that you were thinking about Columbia... did you go to revisit weekend this weekend?

To the interested, attached is the student budget for 2006-2007. You'll get this at Penn Preview, but it was just announced to the students so I figured I'd post it. This is an increase of "only" :laugh: 3.6% compared to the University's 5.4% increase. Note that the housing allowance comes out to $750/mo.

Attachments

• budget.zip
    6.9 KB · Views: 126
Bkka said:
Thanks for putting everything in perspective. By the way, I saw that you were thinking about Columbia... did you go to revisit weekend this weekend?
bkka,

I didn't end up going to the Columbia revisit for a handful of reasons. Mostly, I'm just not that confused about Columbia housing. Most people live in Bard, which is clear cut (though not very appealing). Did you end up going? If so, was it helpful?

The other big factor for my decision not to go down was that I've been to the school for the interview, so it's not like I haven't seen it before or gotten a sense for the students. To that extent, I'm only willing to miss a limited number of my precious few remaining college weekends to *re*visit med schools. I'll go to Penn Preview, though, because Penn is my favorite, and its housing is confusing (in that good, 'there are so many options' way).

From an economic vantage point, here are my thoughts: I can only go to one med school. I really like Penn. If I go elsewhere, it will probably be due to finances. Preview weekends cost money. But if I end up choosing a school for money instead of for love, the preview weekends will have been worthless because they won't have been the basis for my decision anyway.

Anyway, are most of us here planning on going to Penn Preview?

Centinel said:
bkka,

I didn't end up going to the Columbia revisit for a handful of reasons. Mostly, I'm just not that confused about Columbia housing. Most people live in Bard, which is clear cut (though not very appealing). Did you end up going? If so, was it helpful?

The other big factor for my decision not to go down was that I've been to the school for the interview, so it's not like I haven't seen it before or gotten a sense for the students. To that extent, I'm only willing to miss a limited number of my precious few remaining college weekends to *re*visit med schools. I'll go to Penn Preview, though, because Penn is my favorite, and its housing is confusing (in that good, 'there are so many options' way).

From an economic vantage point, here are my thoughts: I can only go to one med school. I really like Penn. If I go elsewhere, it will probably be due to finances. Preview weekends cost money. But if I end up choosing a school for money instead of for love, the preview weekends will have been worthless because they won't have been the basis for my decision anyway.

Anyway, are most of us here planning on going to Penn Preview?

I'm actually waitlisted at Columbia. It was my first choice until I got into Penn and now I think Penn is my first choice. (I'm sure that has a lot to do with the fact that they actually accepted me.) I am going to go to the penn preview weekend. The housing/roommate situation is my main reason for going, as well as making sure that I do in fact like it better than Columbia. Plus it seems like it should be a fun time.

Looking forward to meeting all of you. If you are one of my future classmates, feel free to send a message or an IM to Tara1865 to say hi. If not, I'll meet you at preview... Also, I am curious what most you are thinking in terms of housing (west philly vs. center city). Thoughts?

Tara1865 said:
Looking forward to meeting all of you. If you are one of my future classmates, feel free to send a message or an IM to Tara1865 to say hi. If not, I'll meet you at preview... Also, I am curious what most you are thinking in terms of housing (west philly vs. center city). Thoughts?

I second that.... Becka6584. IM me too :) Can't wait to meet everyone in 2 weeks!!!

Has anyone heard from his/her Penn Preview host yet?

Nope! when are supposed to start hearing from them.

Neuronix said:
They probably haven't made the assignments yet. Penn Preview is not for a few weeks, so relax.

Sorry, I'm just excited.

Do any Penn Med have a clue as to how many people are attending (or how many have attended in previous years) ?

Just curious.

I've heard that there's a guide to being a first year at Penn Med that becomes available at www.med.upenn.edu/student when you get your login info over the summer. Can any current Penn Medicos post this document for those of us that are bored to tears at work?

Withnail would greatly appreciate this one...

Withnail said:
I've heard that there's a guide to being a first year at Penn Med that becomes available at www.med.upenn.edu/student when you get your login info over the summer. Can any current Penn Medicos post this document for those of us that are bored to tears at work?

Withnail would greatly appreciate this one...

Oh Oh, Chocolatekiss would love this too! :love:

My apologies guys but I don't know if anyone can get you this document before Penn Preview without giving you someone's Penn Portal login. The document does not exist as one PDF (the now out of date one did? Though I deleted it a long time ago), or at least if it does I don't have it. Instead, it's broken up into many web pages. Besides, I don't know that any student would feel comfortable posting it here, given that Penn Med is going through all the trouble to password protect it from the rest of the world (why?). You could ask suite 100 if there's some way to get it in advance, but I wouldn't expect this to be successful.

I'm trying to plan out my summer, but I can't seem to find when classes/orientation starts. Does anyone know?! Thanks!

Bkka said:
I'm trying to plan out my summer, but I can't seem to find when classes/orientation starts. Does anyone know?! Thanks!

Orientation starts August 9th. There's an academic calendar on the accepted students page, I think under the "what's next" tab

Withnail said:
Orientation starts August 9th. There's an academic calendar on the accepted students page, I think under the "what's next" tab

That's crazy!! I was thinking more like Aug. 20th. Wow, that changes my plans a lot. Thanks so much!!

Withnail said:

Are you serious? That's terrible, and really screws my summer plans.

Can this be confirmed!?

Withnail said:

I just went on to the page and saw it....damn...well, thanks for bringing this up before I booked my flights. Close call.

Neuronix said:
My apologies guys but I don't know if anyone can get you this document before Penn Preview without giving you someone's Penn Portal login. The document does not exist as one PDF (the now out of date one did? Though I deleted it a long time ago), or at least if it does I don't have it. Instead, it's broken up into many web pages. Besides, I don't know that any student would feel comfortable posting it here, given that Penn Med is going through all the trouble to password protect it from the rest of the world (why?). You could ask suite 100 if there's some way to get it in advance, but I wouldn't expect this to be successful.

Hmm, so we get access to the guide at Penn Preview though?