U. of Pittsburgh vs Baylor Internal Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddoc1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind of a weird predicament. I loved Pittsburgh - the program and research opportunities but I have alot of friends and family at Baylor. Was wondering if anyone could comment on either of these programs, especially Pittsburgh since I know less about Pitt. I noticed that a lot of people tend to stay at Pitt for fellowship. Given its national reputation, I would have expected more people going to other top ten places. Possibly interested in oncology, Baylor is next to MD Anderson, but not all Baylor residents get accepted there since its #1 in the country for cancer. I should also add that I will probably have about 15 papers, many first author by the time I apply for fellowship. Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Pitt IM resident here. Here are my two cents. I think a lot of people stay in Pittsburgh because most of the fellowship programs are very strong (cards, gi, critical care, and heme/onc in particular are exceptional). In addition, many of the residents are from the midwest and quite a few are from the pittsburgh area with families so many choose to stay here for personal and family reasons.

While Pitt has exceptional training, a great program director, and tons of research opportunities-above all else I chose to come to pitt for the people. I had a great time with the residents on my interview day and they all seemed genuinely happy.

Given your already impressive research resume, I doubt you will have any trouble getting into a great heme/onc fellowship. Go wherever you think you be happiest for residency, whichever program that may be.

Baylor doesn't rotate through MD Anderson. As far as I know it wouldn't really give you a leg up at MDA unless you probably really look for contacts there by yourself and get involved in research there. That being said, we seem to match 1-2 for H/O there every now and then, but that's probably more of a local bias on the part of applicants not wanting to move away from Houston than anything else. With 15 papers (if most of them are pretty decent ones and not just case reports), you should be golden at either.

Thanks for the insight! I feel like they are both great programs, and I may be splitting hairs. I loved my Pittsburgh interview, and I agree that the residents there were very happy. I haven't had my Baylor interview yet (happens in January), but I appreciate getting both of your viewpoints in the meantime.