U Missouri Interview this week, Any Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogLover824

KSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my Univeristy of Missouri- columbia interview this week, on Jan 3, any tips of info i should know?

It woudl be greatly appreciated as i prepare

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! sorry I didn't read this very soon, so hope this helps!

In my interview, they were really relaxed. We went into a conference room with three professors and Dr. Dodam (Associate Dean - Academic Affairs) and they will start with the usual "Tell us a little about yourself" question. Mine was tailored to what I had said on previous questions, but friends were asked basic stuff like "What is the vaccine protocol for puppies", etc. If you don't know something, don't be afraid to say 'I don't know!' If it is the same as last year, it'll be 15 minutes and Open File (they've seen your application and what all you had to say in it; in fact, last year, they all had giant printout packets for each student so I would read over your application just to be familiar with it and what you meant at the time you wrote it). The hardest thing I was asked was "You know we're doing 3 days of interviews and that's XXXX number of students, why should we pick you to be in our veterinary class?" Be sure to browse the interview feedback for Missouri...looking at that, I was asked these (just to give you an idea for the types of questions):

If vet med didn't exist, what would you do?
Why did you pick MO?
What do you feel separates you from other applicants/prepares you better?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years? (contrary to what one says about MO wanting midwest LA vets, stay true to whatever your interests are! We seem to have tons of exotics people with a healthy blend of both small and large animal people - so I don't see them favoring anything over another)
Who are your role models?
What was your biggest disappointment?

That's about all I can think of to tell you, but just RELAX! Honestly, you'll do great! I'll be up there the 4th and 5th at lunch/dinner, but GOOD LUCK!!!!

My apologies this didn't make it on time, but this may be helpful for other applicants, so I'll post it. I didn't really get asked any technical stuff either, though I did have one silly mistake I put in my personal statement that they asked me to clarify. Mine ended up being like 45 minutes long because there was no one scheduled after me, so it was pretty much us just chatting. :D Here are mine from last year:

-tell us about your research for your masters work. Do you have an abstract and will you publish?
-how will you be able to transition from 9 hours of graduate school level hours to around 18 hours during vet school?
-if you don't get in, what will you do?
-when did you know precisely that you wanted to be a vet?
-what other kinds of jobs can vets do besides just private practice?
-how do you feel about the animals used in the teaching labs which will be euthanized after the procedure?
-pick an example of where you were a leader and describe the situation
-pick an example of a time where you experienced a setback and how you dealt with it
-who is your role model?
-vet school is a big time commitment and you have many things on your resume. Which of these are you realistically likely to continue?
-there are a few Cs in some of the hard science courses. Was there a reason for those? (there was, that was the year my grandmother died and my grandfather almost died)
-is there anything that wasn't on the application that you'd like to add?
-why should we choose you over someone else?