U. Mich versus Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artiloop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are bits of this on other threads, but I'm hoping a direct compare will help...

I've been admitted to UM and Emory's MPH programs in Epi. My career interests are fairly broad, but steer much more towards science as opposed to academic or policy: I'm currently a bureaucrat, and would love to not be ever again.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No one?

How about something more specific: Engagements with professors. How engaged with students are the professors at these schools? I mean in terms of getting in on their research, but also in terms of really working with students in class.

On the side of that, I know that Emory has a large number of adjunct professors, and some people have said that adjuncts tend to be not as great with the teaching. Does anyone have a sense as to whether this holds true or not?

Hey

I got my MPH in epi from Emory so I can give you some info. Let me first say that Emory and Umich are great schools for epi and public health so whichever you choose you can not go wrong. I was accepted to both too and what swayed me was that the CDC is literally right next door to the school. Many students worked there while in school. The classes are scheduled so that you can work and go to school at the same time. And many of my friends that worked at CDC are still doing so long after graduating from there. True - there are a lot of adjunct at the school but I wouldn't say they are all bad. One of my best classes was taught by an adjunct and also, one of the worst classes I took was taught by one too. So it does vary. It's what you put into it that really counts. At Emory - the epi is very math based whereas at some other schools it is more application based. The core epi classes can be pretty boring unless you really love theory and stuff. The epi electives are the more interesting and fun classes.

And it is very possible to get in on research at Emory - I had some friends that did that. And if you are interested in international health you can apply for a summer grant to go overseas to work on your thesis. Some students are engaged with the professors, some are not - it really depends upon you. If you are a student that just wants to go to class, take notes and then just go home without studying - then no you won't be engaged. But I've seen many students go up and talk to the professors after class or go to their office to talk to them.

PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck in your choice!