U-Illinois-Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asama527

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions or comments on the UIC interview? The interview feedback isn't much help. Does it make a difference which campus you interview at? Also, for those of you who have heard back, how long were you waiting?

Members don't see this ad.

SOMEBODY has already interviewed there right???

how about having some patience, not everyone on SDN cycles through here every hour i.e. the hour you waited between posting and then become irate about noone replying.

i, for one, do cycle through here every hour. how sad :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not irate :) Just nervous. I got the interview yesterday and it's scheduled soon...I didn't have a lot of flexibility with my dates.

if you've interviewed elsewhere, you've interviewed at uic. it was a pretty easy, low-stress interview, although i'm glad i read beforehand that it was in panel format.

i interviewed in mid-october and received my acceptance today. if i remember correctly, they meet monthly... but they'll go through all this w/ you the day of your interview. (and if they don't, ask them... they were very nice and receptive to questions)

and no, it doesn't matter where you interview.

asama -

as someone who did the UIC interview in chicago, and got assigned to the UPR track (i'm in rockford), i can tell you that WHERE you interview doesn't so much matter... unless you're RMED, in which case you'll interveiw in Rockford & come to Rockford for m2-4.

that said, WHEN you interview is somewhat important, as the Chicago campus tends to fill up first (who wants to go to peoria? and i'm not looking to rile up any peorians with this question - i'm from chicago, and i don't like peoria.) SO, if you get your interview (and accpetance) early, you have a much higher probability of getting into the chicago campus if that's where you want to be. Yes, the admissions committee interviews monthly, so when you interview in any given month doesn't so much matter, provided you interview BEFORE the cutoff date for that month's meeting to maximize your chances of a good site, as well as remain in the acceptance pool for the longest amount of time (if you're not outright accepted). Call the admissions office and ask them when the cutoff is, and then go interview at whatever site has openings before the cutoff (even if it's peoria). If everything's jam-packed, then interview wherever you feel most comfortable...

Hope that helps... and, don't sweat the UIC interview. be honest, be yourself (hopefully that's one and the same) and interview THEM! ask questions that can't be found on the website... ask about stuff that's important to you. if you got an interview, that means you're smart; to get an acceptance, you've gotta make them feel like UICOM is what you need to become a good doc (and good docs ask the tough questions.)

-daiph

Thanks Daiph, that's by far the most helpful response I've received all day. I've got an early december interview so I should at least make the December cutoff. You wouldn't happen to know any hotels near the med center would you?

glad to help!

the only hotels i know close to UIC are the hotels in downtown chicago; since i grew up in chicago, i just stayed with my folks when i interviewed.

however, i think there's an embassy suites or something like that on campus... just call admissions and ask. =)

gotta run, the OR is paging...

-daiph