Typing on Secondaries??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LSN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a few secondaries and most are in PDF or Adobe format and I was wondering if its possible to type on? If so, please let me know how to..thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about typing on PDF files, but maybe you could try:

hitting the print screen button,
opening up Paint,
pasting in the page
and then using a text box to type over the image.

I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone else has any other ideas.

You need to have the full version of Adobe acrobat to type on a pdf.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah, thats what I've been hearing. Do you know where we can get a free version? I would really appreciate it.

Is it a bad thing to write them out by hand if you have clean handwriting?

I think not -- or at least that's what I hope. I will hand write all that background crap and obviously type out my essays.

As I recall, the secondary for Creighton specifically asks that you fill it out in your own hadwriting. I thought that was interesting. I wonder how much your handwriting influences the admission decision. Most dentists I know write pretty sloppily.

My handwriting is terrible , barely legible but I think it will be hard to type on the secondaries for everything. I was going to write out all my answers and have my friend fill it in for me and then I would sign it. what do you think

Is the school trying to test your eye-hand coordination? Why don't you ask the school if you can type it out? That will be the safest and easiest option to do.

Many dentists and doctors are sloppy writers, which can be a good thing from legal perspective. You have your own pattern of writing, which is difficult for others to imitate. So, the sloppier, the better??? But again, I've seen some dentists who just type out everything on the computer installed in their clinics.

2thDk said:
I don't know about typing on PDF files, but maybe you could try:

hitting the print screen button,
opening up Paint,
pasting in the page
and then using a text box to type over the image.

I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone else has any other ideas.

I have Photoshop so I just imported those pdf secondaries and printed the copies out at a hight dpi so that they would look like they were 'printed' on the copy. I have good handwriting, although my intention was not so much clarity as it was trying to fit more words into some of the little spaces than my hand alone could accommodate.

If you know someone who has the full version of Adobe Acrobat (not just the reader, but the one you pay for), there's a "form" tool where you can put in "fields" wherever you want on the pdf document and then save it that way. I don't know why schools don't do this because it's so ridiculously easy if you have the full version.

If someone has the full version and can put the fields into the document and save it, then YES the new document can then be opened, filled out, and printed using just the reader, but the catch is you can't save the info you filled in without having the full version of Acrobat.

The nice part about this is that you can then circulate the document with the empty fields in it (nothing illegal about it if the person who made the document paid for their version of Acrobat, as far as I know) and everyone can fill in their own info and print it and save a lot of time.

Assuming legality isn't an issue, perhaps someone could be persuaded (for a small fee) to insert form fields for you guys...